Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vanguard as a kitesurf board

Cross-post from the Tomo surf thread:

So stoked! I bought a 5'0" Vanguard on the recommendations/reviews/intel gathered from the Tomo surf forum. I got it on Saturday and took it out kitesurfing on Sunday and Monday. I'm 145lbs or 66kg and find that the board is just about the right size if I'm powered. I'd go a bit bigger for more volume/float if your intention is to use it as a lightwind board. I rode it as a quad with TC Aqualine fins. 9m kite both days (though, way overpowered and should've been on a 7m on Monday).

Stoke: OMG is the board fun! Crazy fast, ridiculously light, strapless airs are super easy, turns on a dime, and the board will fit in a kiting "golf" travel bag. Say goodbye to oversize fees or having to rent a sub-par board when I fly.

Issues/concerns: Really worried about how durable the board will be. I've already put some good heel dents in it. I know... it's not reinforced for kitesurfing and it's not FST construction, but my TL2 Stretch F4 has held up nicely over the past two years. Or, should I have been more patient and waited for the kitesurf version to be released?

What next: Getting into some real waves (nothing but wind swell where I am). Riding it as a tri-fin.

I'll post pics soon, but shoot me a message if you have any questions about the board.

The board is insane . I have both the 5'4 and 5'2 and find that both have their place.
    Smooth down the line conditions are a dream for the 5'2 as I weigh 155 pounds
    Attachment
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Felix,

When is the Vanguard comming out in the solid kiteconstruction?
      I weigh 83 kg or 183 lbs and I am looking for a board to trow airs in onshore conditions.(Crappy windswel with nice kickers to do all the air shit)
      For offshore glassy top conditions I love the KP1 5.11
      Lightwind I use the hellfire 5'10.

Thanks for letting me know.

Comment

Hey guys,

The standard surf version will most likely break down quickly unless your babying it. It's intended for surfing, not kiting. However, we should be releasing the Vanguard in a kite model in the coming months. I wouldn't expect to see availability for at least 2-3 months though. If you can't wait to get into a Vanguard until then (and that's understandable with such a sick board) then reinforce it with carbon or have someone reinforce for you.

-Brian

Comment

Tested and approved ;-)

http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/f/...iledataid=1413

Amazing board!

Phil
          Have Fun & Ride Safe

Comment

Originally posted by -Brian View Post
            Hey guys,

The standard surf version will most likely break down quickly unless your babying it. It's intended for surfing, not kiting. However, we should be releasing the Vanguard in a kite model in the coming months. I wouldn't expect to see availability for at least 2-3 months though. If you can't wait to get into a Vanguard until then (and that's understandable with such a sick board) then reinforce it with carbon or have someone reinforce for you.

-Brian
            Yup. Was in Hood River for a week and managed to put a nice big crease in the board after a jump on my first day of riding. Luckily my buddy had an extra surfboard he could lend to me for the week and that North Pacific could do the repair right away. The glasser did a great job and it's almost as good as new - though, he did say that it's a matter of time before I break it again.

Anyhow, the point of this is to say, "Firewire, get your act together and get the kitesurfing version of the Vanguard out to the public!" Both Slingshot (the T-Rex) and Liquid Force (don't know the model name) have knock-off versions of the Vanguard being produced and sold right now. The Slingshot one has no channels or bottom shaping and is really just a 5-fin swallow tail board with a cut-off nose. The Liquid Force board has channels on the tail similar to the Vanguard but weighs a ton and is not nearly as refined. Although we all know that they're just copying Tomo's design, it will appear to the general kiting public that Firewire is the copycat since you're late to the game.

Regardless, I still love riding my Vanguard and am looking forward to the kite version so that I can jump it.

Stan

Comment

There isn't a time table for a Vangaurd in kite-construciton yet.

- Firewire Intern Josh

Comment

Stan,

You hit the nail on the head "we all know they are copying Tomo's design". The boards will perform nothing like the real deal and anyone can simply cutoff the nose off a surf shape . We are well aware of the demand for this major breakthrough in design in a kiting build and are currently testing some new construction.We will keep it on the front burner so please be patient as we work to get the Vanguard available. It will be well worth the wait!

-Brian

Comment

Just got done surfing the Vanguard, what a dream that board is! Works insane. Kiting even better. I know we keep everyone on edge, we are trying to finalize a lot of things right now with Mark Price on the Vanguard, construction options, etc. Patience as always!

Comment

Looks like you're gonna miss this season. Hopefully it will be available in the fall so we can be riding these spring 2014. Thanks for pushing the production, do want!

Comment

Liquid Force's new board is called The Messenger and looks something like this, but orange coloured (hmm... looks kind of similar to a board that I've seen somewhere before):
                      http://distilleryimage5.s3.amazonaws...0aaa21ef_7.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by KiterStan View Post
                        The glasser did a great job and it's almost as good as new - though, he did say that it's a matter of time before I break it again.
                        Oops... :$ ... sure enough, I broke the board again. First break was a buckle on the bottom side of the board in the middle between my feet. This latest break was in front of my front foot. Snapped it clean through. Funny enough, it wasn't on a jump. I was just riding through some chop.

Gotta decide whether to spend the money to fix it again (with additional reinforcements all along the bottom of the board) or to wait for the kite version to come out (with the likely probability that the kite Vanguard won't come out in 5'0").Thoughts? Opinions?

Comment

• Phil***
                          Phil*** commented
                          Editing a comment
                          The Vanguard in kite version will be available in 5'2, 5'4 and 5'6.... as far as I know ;-)
                          Phil
                          Have Fun & Ride Safe

• Grant
                          Grant commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yea, I would wait for the kite version. They will all be strapless for the Vanguard...Surfboards take a beating from kiting!

How will you announce the boards are available? What should I look out for?
                        Last edited by bgray46; 09-02-2013, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Hey pretty please, can't wait much longer... When do you bring the kite non-insert version?

Comment

Originally posted by markusf View Post
                            Hey pretty please, can't wait much longer... When do you bring the kite non-insert version?
                            Looks like early December according to the Firewire facebook page.

Comment

Working...
                            X