X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweet Potato / Vanguard - light wind capabilities

I,m 75kg & have a 5'0 SP I use in 1-4 ft surf in relatively light wind (10-20 knots) & I'm now set on getting a Vanguard. My question is would there be any downsides to going from a 5'0 SP to a 5'6 Vanguard as both boards are around 29 Litres in regards to low end? I'd be interested in the up-sides also :-)

Hey Top,

You may want to go smaller. The volume on the Vanguard doesn't translate the way other boards would because it's a planing hull (lot's more lift) vs other boards. For your weight I think a 5'4" or 5'2" or even the 5'0" would be a better fit. I weigh the same and ride the 5'0" as a daily board in similar (maybe slightly windier) conditions. So if you want better light wind go 5'4", if all around 5'2", heavy wind 5'0". You'll get a lot of performance out of the VG vs the Potato but it will still be easy to ride. Can't go wrong with the VG to be honest. It's insane.

-Brian

Comment

Thanks for the reply Brian, I have ordered a 5'2 - should have it any day now.

Comment

Great choice. Let us know how it goes!

Comment

Had my 5'2 VG for a while now & have only had a thruster set in it...... I find the VG is great in mid to high wind (15-30 knots). Less than 15 knots -especially if you want to hold your ground, I'll take the Sweet Potato. I think they make a great 2 board quiver as they both like to be turned off the back foot.

Comment

Top, Give your Vanguard a go setup as a quad for light wind. We have several customers that use them this way in light air and swear by it over all our other models. -Brian

Comment

Hey Brian, any tips on getting out the future fin box fillers I have installed in the rear quad boxes on my VG. I have tried wetting with some water & putting the fin key in the hole on the filler but neither of them show any signs of coming out. Only had them in there a few months & I'd love to try a quad set on the VG.

Comment

Top,

It's usually the salt build up that makes fins stick. I've not played with the fillers but if your flushing them heavily and that's not working I guess worst case is you could try and sink a couple short wood screws into the fillers (carefully) and see if you can get one end to free up with some pliers. How do you like the fillers anyway? Can you feel a big difference?

-Brian

Comment

I just had the same issue. Put a wood screw in the hole and they'll pop right out.

Comment

Thanks, I'll give the wood screw a try. I've had my VG 5'2 out about a dozen times now & it's getting better each time. The Josh Mulcoy fins have done the trick to find the sweet spot. Only used the thruster set so far & looking forward to trying it with the quads. I have not ridden my board without the in -fills in, so can't comment on that. Still love the SP for 10-15 knots :-)

Comment

For anyone that's interested - I've had a full season now with the 5'0 SP & 5'2 VG, I have absolutely no doubt the Sweet Potato shape has a much better bottom end than a similar sized VG. The VG shape pushes water at low speed, where the SP just glides over the top. Both great boards as they compliment each other & paired together make a great kiteboard quiver.

Comment

Working...
                      X