X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Factory customized SURF board for Kitesurfing

I just wonder, if there is any chance to get a board of the SURFline reinforced fy the factory for KITE surfing (since the boards offered for kiting offer a nice range for the lighter and heavier rider, but no finetuned option for personal preference in between or a different board line - so like the surfers can choose their boards specs for a good reason out of many different options.
    What would the costs be?
    In case of no option, I guess only 1-2 layers of glass on top would do the job? -since the surfboard construction would not survive kitesurfing stress for too long

Originally posted by shredder View Post
    I just wonder, if there is any chance to get a board of the SURFline reinforced fy the factory for KITE surfing (since the boards offered for kiting offer a nice range for the lighter and heavier rider, but no finetuned option for personal preference in between or a different board line - so like the surfers can choose their boards specs for a good reason out of many different options.
    What would the costs be?
    In case of no option, I guess only 1-2 layers of glass on top would do the job? -since the surfboard construction would not survive kitesurfing stress for too long
    Hey Mate,
    As of now we can not offer this solution.But something we are looking into. If you reinforce the the surfboards with some extra glass or carbon they will last that little bit longer but end up with crushed core foam
    As we all know the impact of kiting is far more significant than regular surfing
    Which board are you after?
    Thanks for your message
    Felix

Comment

Hey Shredder,

Consider this when comparing a surfboard to a kite surfboard.

A surfer goes out for a 2hr session and assume he(she) gets 24 waves and probably standing on the board for say ~10 seconds per ride so that is 240 seconds or 4 minutes for the 2hr session.

A kite surfer goes out for a 2hr session and he will be standing on the board for 2hrs. Also the trip out through the surf can be more demanding on the board than the actual riding of the wave back in.

So in essence kite surfboards have to be built for kiting from the ground up and a slightly beefed up surfboard just won’t last.

Cheers
      Slack

Comment

Thanks for the responses - too bad:-)
        Well, Felix, regarding boards, the M. Bourez 5.10 or Alternator 5.10 or FS 6.0 look appealing to me to complement my quiver...(I ride unstrapped) If I had Felix's weight I would go for his modell in 5.11 but I am significantly heavier and taller, so it would lack alround qualities for me and the 6.2 is slightly to long for my personal taste/preference (only in bigger waves I would maybe go for longer rails an a gunny shape, but it is personal preference) Appart from small wave slashing wider fish shapes it seems that for kitesurfing a width of 18 1/4 is the average width and thickness around 2 1/4 for a 6.0 or 5.11 and there is a reason for it. But many of the pure surfboards transfered via reinforcing into kiteboards have more width (and sometimes even thickness), which helps paddling but we have a kite so apart from light wind and small waves, volume and width are smaller in the "kite tow in" boards. Firewire is a fantastic surfboard brand with great variety in each modell and I hope that we (kiters) will see sooner or later at least halfway the same "fine tuning" options in kitesurfing too - because we would need it also :-) kiters physical premisses, personal preferences, style, spots etc need more than eg 2 boards of a line to choose from-even it it works, but sometimes as a compromise.

Comment

Originally posted by shredder View Post
          Thanks for the responses - too bad:-)
          Well, Felix, regarding boards, the M. Bourez 5.10 or Alternator 5.10 or FS 6.0 look appealing to me to complement my quiver...(I ride unstrapped) If I had Felix's weight I would go for his modell in 5.11 but I am significantly heavier and taller, so it would lack alround qualities for me and the 6.2 is slightly to long for my personal taste/preference (only in bigger waves I would maybe go for longer rails an a gunny shape, but it is personal preference) Appart from small wave slashing wider fish shapes it seems that for kitesurfing a width of 18 1/4 is the average width and thickness around 2 1/4 for a 6.0 or 5.11 and there is a reason for it. But many of the pure surfboards transfered via reinforcing into kiteboards have more width (and sometimes even thickness), which helps paddling but we have a kite so apart from light wind and small waves, volume and width are smaller in the "kite tow in" boards. Firewire is a fantastic surfboard brand with great variety in each modell and I hope that we (kiters) will see sooner or later at least halfway the same "fine tuning" options in kitesurfing too - because we would need it also :-) kiters physical premisses, personal preferences, style, spots etc need more than eg 2 boards of a line to choose from-even it it works, but sometimes as a compromise.
          Yours thoughts are 100% correct
          Maybe hold out a little bit and get your hands on the NEW 5'11 KP once it hits stores this will be in the kite line up soon it
          will be very close to the 5'10 M.Bourez
          A little food for thought too I have guys here riding the 5'11 Taj and weigh 180 and loving it
          Sounds like you know stuff and I'm sure any which way you go you will not be disappointed.
          Enjoy
          Felix

Comment

Thanks Felix,
            I will probably wait for the new 5.11 if it will hit the shops before November, I might need a little more kite for it though since I am 6.3 and have 195 pds.
            You do a great job for firewire and strapless on the water Felix, awesome, my total respect, keep on rippin' and pushing the limits (also regarding our boards :-)

Comment

I'm 85kg, ride the 5'11 taj strapless last 18months, used to have a 6' quadra 5 but never really used it, as long as your kite is powered I found my taj gets going quickly and is fast and turns/flexes like a dream. Depends if you live with warm or cold wind, I get going from 15mph, but would need more if i was lucky to live somewhere warm.

mike

Comment

Sounds good Mike, we are weightwise pretty close. I sail in diverse places strapless quite a bit in cold and also warm air but prefer the "boardshort conditions" :-) Which kite size is your biggest on this board, since you get going/staying upwind in 12 knts? I have heard it is fantastic but upwind it could be slightly better (if you face currents) How does it work for you in onshore conditions and in smaller stuff?

@Felix: What will be the refinements on the new 5.11? When actually will it hit the kite shops - early fall/late fall??

Comment

I have 12/9/7 Bandit v's which are quite powerful, that said, UK conditions have gusty frontal wind, I only ride in x on conditions and small ish waves wind blown waves. I find it fine upwind, I use the devient fin on it too, which i think makes a slight difference.

Although on the heavy end of the weight range, i think by being light on your feet and using the kite to carry your weight I find it fine.

Mike

Comment

Hey Shredder,

I am 6'4" and about 215-220 lbs depending on the day. I ride the 506 Hellfire mostly, but also have been riding the new 511 Hellfire quite a bit. Surprisingly, the 506's shape and volume outline lets it ride on top of the water magically for the lighter conditions and performs like a dream when powered up in nuking conditions. All in all, the Hellfire in whichever size (take in consideration your abilities) is a choice no rider can go wrong with. I have guys here frothing over the 506. Some riders enjoy a little more foam under their feet. You will be surprised! Also, the upwind ride on the Hellfire is easy pie.

Comment

Hello Grant,
                      I know what you mean, since I ride eg my Wainman Gambler 5.7 very often in various wind conditions, also for freestyle air stuff - but it is a board that excells (only) in waves up to shoulder - head high max. A board like the HF 510 would be nice in light winds and small waves, but for my taste - without having tried it - I guess from a certain boardspeed (wave height) on it would be a hard(er) to ride it in a wave radically (due volume, tail width, width etc.) - for your weight though maybe not so noticeable - with 195 pds max probably already different.
                      If I had the choice in regard to the HF, I would probably rather take the 508 for my weight as a "workhorse" for the daily average stuff, since it provides also a little longer rail than the 506 when the waves get chest high + and does not have so much "hip" and volume like the 510.
                      But here we are back to the topic: You can either choose between a 506 or a 510. Nothing in between.
                      If you want to go for a little more radical board concept like the 5.11 KP1 the 5.11 has for my weight slightly too little of everything (a 6.0 x 18.25-40 x 2 1/4 would be right). But I can compensate with a bigger kite etc. BUT even the "stock" brands like Naish, Cabrinha, SS, Wainman etc. offer 3 boards per line - for a good reason - (not to mention the awesome Boombox from Rawson....) This is just a friendly input for optimization where personal preferences and riding spots come into account and make the difference between good and awesome and the professionalism of a brand. And Firewire is fantastic! - Also an afterthought: Maybe rather less board lines but more size steps in between to choose, because the different parameters offer then enough optimization for really individual conditions.

Originally posted by Grant View Post
                      Hey Shredder,

I am 6'4" and about 215-220 lbs depending on the day. I ride the 506 Hellfire mostly, but also have been riding the new 511 Hellfire quite a bit. Surprisingly, the 506's shape and volume outline lets it ride on top of the water magically for the lighter conditions and performs like a dream when powered up in nuking conditions. All in all, the Hellfire in whichever size (take in consideration your abilities) is a choice no rider can go wrong with. I have guys here frothing over the 506. Some riders enjoy a little more foam under their feet. You will be surprised! Also, the upwind ride on the Hellfire is easy pie.

Comment

Working...
                      X