X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firewire is always testing...

For those who wonder what the next board will be, construction, weight, shape...just know we are always testing and trying different ideas and methods.

We are working on various projects as we speak with Felix and the rest of the crew. Feel free to ask any questions regarding construction or design in this forum. Suggestions wanted!

Has teh kite forum being fused with the surfboard one??? We are getting kite threads on the surfboards site

Comment

That is one of the many reasons I only ride Firewire surfboards! Thanks Grant, I do not know enough about materials to give you guys any ideas that would make the boards work better and not cost more. I think trying to solve the yellowing problem would be a good one though.

Brent

Comment

The Surf and Kite forum have been 'fused' together but they are separate...this thread is in the 'kite' forum.

Comment

Thanks Grant!!. By the way a dear friend of mine took my Felix Pivec 6'0" Quadraflex to Barbados last week to surf Soup Bowl and all I'v been getting is hoots from him, really enjoying the board in the surf.

Comment

That is great! tell him to grab a kite!

Comment

Grant can you tell more about the kite specific construction of the Hellfire 5'6? What material is used under foot?

Comment

Stayfan,

Most of the materials are posted on the website...the secret is a firewire recipe I can't disclose...We are constantly working and trying to find something that is lighter and more flexible. We finally found a bullet proof construction, now is the time to refine it and continue to improve.

Comment

The recipe must be pretty bulletproof on the hellfire 5'6". I've been working on big lofty front rolls lately (failing to stick the landings) and have been coming down full body on the deck. Glad to know I need not worry much.

Comment

Paolo that is great to hear!

Comment

Stayfan, as Paolo said most of it is a secret...the bond...but most materials are explained on the website. If one of your board ever fails, saw the baby in half and take a look. You will see a bunch of good stuff including some bamboo, etc.

Comment

It would be of great help if you were able to tell a bit more on the following subjects:

1. Timbertek kite-technology
                        I've read somewhereon the surf forum that, in surf construction, FST>Timbertek>Rapidfire in terms of strength/durability. As you're developing the TT for kiting, hoe would you rate that? Will it be comparable to FST, or be the same as in surf construction? I'd also like to know what boards are currently being tested in TT kite construction. I've seen a pic of a Vanguard in early May, also recently something that resembled a Hellfire from afar, van you confirm thuis? What will the riding differences be between an FST a TT board?

2. Launch timing
                        With all that's under development, it's hard to time your purchase ;). Ideally, I'd like to order&receive before autumn sets in. Vanguard had my definite interest but it's launch timeline is unclear and perhaps a Hellfire will 'have to do' ;). Van you give soms general insight info what you're currently planning? I understandit's difficult as R&D doesn't alwaysfollow deadlines and it's sensitive info, but a general, maybe per quarter?, overviewwould be great.

3. Inserts for straps
                        I'd like to make a case for offering all boards of the kite series equipped with and without inserts. Some of is have a windsurfing background, who are used to take a smaller board with a bigger kite; or local circumstances dictate the use of straps (wind-driven short period waves, rocks, and so on). Last but not least: for many of us, strapless jumping will be too limiting and also have too much of a learning curve.

Thanks!
                        Last edited by BudhaNl; 08-07-2013, 02:45 PM. Reason: Post was edited to improve its visual appearance ;)

Comment

Interesting original thread. Its importnat to see what is already on the market first. Ignoring horrible kite brand attemts at shaping a surfboard shape I'll concentrate on construction here. For what its worth, here are the balances I have been encountering in my search for the best balance between strength (against compression, and snapping), flex/life, and all importantly on a true surfboard...weight:

The companies I've looked at are Hydroflex, libtech, tuflite; slingshot, cabrinha and; custom shapers such as Ian Aldrege signature model, stretch and JP surfboards (Swansea). Also its really interesting to see the new Starboard windsurf company bringing their new surfboards with windsurf and SUP construction. Light and strong! They are just msssing shape!

So...a few questions/answers:
                          • Base blank: EPS, or PU or purpose built blanks for kiting (becasue it is the base material which allows compression)
                          • Thick stringer or more homogenous layer construction for strength?
                          • Carbon or no carbon necessary because materials such as wood have more suitable propeerties in this application
                          • Bamboo full deck layer or just PU glass
                          • High density PVC circular foam stomp pads inserted under the glass (into a routed out disc into the blank) - Used by slingshot. My marine engineering friend recommended 'end grain Balsa' stomp pads under the glass, with a PVC disc insert under that to act as a base layer. All strong, compression resistant and light.
                          • Pre sunk heal compressions filled with foam (like some windsurf companies use), keeping the deck flush (hence still surfable witthout an annoying deck pad under your chest)
                          In conclusion, I actually think we need the ligth weight, snap and compression resistance construction from the windsurfing industry blended with the true surf shapes like the Lost Sub driver from the surf industry. A final interesting point was made on the Harbour surboards website, on which the Harbour shaper who has shaped for decades recommends that perhaps a carefully placed glass cloth and resin reinforcement is actually a very good deterrent against further deck compressions.

Comment

It's probably worth noting that I am thinking true surf style cross over here. I want to be able to surf everyday on my kiteboard without compromise.

Comment

Hey Bazely, we have some specifics about the builds on both TimberTek and our FST construction processes here http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/ki...hp?techid=tech And I would note that we are constantly looking at new improvements in our construction design. The great news is that no matter what construction type you pick you can be assured that the shape has been proven, tested, by surfers across the globe! Try taking out a competitors kiteboard for a paddle and you quickly will realize the value of FireWire designs for surfing and kiting.

-Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X