Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morocco

What board would everyone recommend for a trip to Morocco
    The Dom always comes away with me but what others would be the goods

If you're looking at surfing the points in the Tagazoute area I'd take something with a decent rail line and not too much tail rocker. The faces can be long but not too steep on higher tides unless you're surfing tight in the pocket and a board with a lot of rocker didn't feel right to me.
    The points don't really work too well until they get overhead either so take something that you're comfortable in 1.5 to 2x overhead waves. A few extra inches is ideal I reckon.
    That said, low tide and around head high the points get pretty rippable on a standard shorty. Killers is fun when it's smaller but on a big swell it gets pretty serious with a lot of paddling. Mysteries is a lot of fun when it's around head high for the Dom or a normal short board. Fast down the line and hollow.
    If the swell is smaller Boilers is always a little bigger than the Anchors area, that's nice on a regular shortboard and if it's super small swell Tamri is about 20-30 minutes north and is a fun beach break that always has waves.
    I hear there's some great waves to the south that pick up plenty of swell too if you're up for some exploring!

Comment

Thanks for your quick reply
      Sounds like a board such as the Hellrazor or Mini Driver would be ideal
      Do you think it would still be worth throwing in say a flexfire or MB

Comment

Yeah for sure. If you surf at the right tides and stuff there's plenty of hollow stuff that suits those boards. My only issue with the MD and HZ is when it's solid I'd like a little more length. I went out on a 2x overhead plus day on my 602 Taj and didn't get a wave because I just didn't have the paddle power to get in without taking off in the lip and I didn't fancy that. My mates were all on boards 3-4" longer than their standard boards and they caught a few good ones.
        I think something like the 602 round tail Alternator would be a nice board for decent sized Anchors and Killers. A bit of extra volume and lower rocker for paddling and that pulled in round tail for control.

We had quite a few days at this size and a little smaller while I was there and they a couple days where it was solid.
        Attachment
        Attached Files

Comment

That's a good photo mate
          Is that you on the wave

Comment

Nah one of the guys I was there with. Even though we had a friend of a friend on the point most sessions shooting photos, I still managed to come home after 3 weeks with none of me...
            I didn't know the guys shooting very well and I think they were just snapping the guys they recognised on the waves. :(

Might be going back there soon, hopefully with better results!

Comment

http://www.morocsurf.com/surfing-packages-morocco.html my mates do a sahara surf camp,nigel cross top bloke..

Comment

That sahara vid was sick
                Good post Geordie

Comment

If the hotel room is Morrocan...dont bother knockin !! wink wink.

Comment

Originally posted by FW - Fan View Post
                    If the hotel room is Morrocan...dont bother knockin !! wink wink.
                    Ha ha. Speaking of Moroccan, I was invited back to dinner in San Francisco, before flying out that night, by a dude who was part of a group I'd been mountain biking with in Santa Cruz, anyway his wife cooked Moroccan food and it was delicious. The twist was down in Santa Cruz he had a girl friend, you know, double life kind of thing. God knows if she knew about the wife, and I guess the wife didn't know about the girlfriend either. His idea of a joke I guess, he never told me about any of this so I had to get through dinner conversation being very careful about what I said!!! I mean, you don't want to be a bad guest. Good food anyway.

Comment

ha!

Comment

yeah long down the line, semi hollow points, rail is so huge. There is a reason why guys at Jbay don't ride their trestles boards...HA!!

Comment

Just booked 4 weeks in Morocco, leaving on the 20th... Yeewww

Comment

Awesome Prj !

Comment

I think the Mini Driver will be fun there!

Comment

Working...
                              X