Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maldives

Has anyone been to the Maldives before
    If so what boards would you recommend
    I've heard it's not really that heavy so would it be a case of throwing in a performance hybrid and a standard shorty

That's what I'd personally take. It can get bigger but most days those boards would have you covered.

Comment

yeah agreed. baby Indo...though it can pump. I too think you have it nailed there. If I were going I'd have my Flexfire and Hellfire or Alternator I think....

but Alt and hellfire would be good....as would many others...

Comment

How do you think that Bourez model that you have would ride over there Chris

Comment

From what I've read and heard about the MB model it'd be a great board for Maldives on medium sized days. Depends how you like your boards because it would usually be ridden a little shorter than your standard shorty, but sounds like it has that little extra foam to make it super fun to surf, plenty of rocker to fit in those hollow faces and short enough to surf nicely in the pocket.
          Chris will give you a better report I"m sure seeing as he's surfed the board a bunch, but I thick it'd be a good one.

Comment

Yeah good option. the thing about the Michel is it has the rocker to handle any wave, thick or thin, slopey or pitching. You do, however, ride it a bit shorter than your normal shortboard so you have a bit less rail. My go to Michel is 510 and anything 1.5x overhead or bigger, I like a little more rail because my maneuvers are longer etc....

Its SO FUN in head high pitchy waves. I love it at beach breaks and hollow surf because its short and rockered and gets in easy and can jam a pitching lip in a jiffy!

Comment

I have a trip to the maldives planned. Was going to pack a 6'10 Alt(old specs) and a 6'4 spit. Should be an ok quiver?
              Was also wondering if anyone would know aprox. weight including travel case?

Comment

completely depends on the case and how much you pack around it. I would count on somewhere near 50 lbs though...

Comment

You might try to sell them while you are there, (I hear, boards arent cheap there) that'll save some shipping money and get a new FW quiver...

Comment

My FCS triple coffin with a 6'0 spitfire, 6'2 hellfire and 6'8 AF2 (Aloha) packed (w/legropes) weighed in at 13.5kg (~30lb!). So 2 boards in an FCS double coffin provided you don't throw a bunch of extra stuff in there would be around the 10kg mark I'd say. Rip Curl also make some light board bags and they look sturdy enough too. My FCS has everything you need so there is no need to pack any extra padding...and that helps keep things light and keeps you out of excess luggage territory.

Comment

I went there a few years ago and agree with the previous posts. High performance and perforance hybrid would be fine. I rode a 5'10" Futura most days in head high surf and loved it!!! The last two days the waves jumped and guys were grabbing bigger boards. We caught a solid swell that about double overhead on the sets so I would recommend a bigger board just in case. Most guys were ridding boards in the upper 6 to 7 range but one guys broke an 8'4" gun on a set at Chickens. I was in college and just around 150 so a 6'4" Tuflite Flyer had enought float and lenghth for me. Make sure you hit up Chickens and Colas...two of the heavier waves that were a good way to cap off the trip. Have a great time!

Comment

Working...
                      X