Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That sounds about right. Taiwan is not a cheap place, the cost of living is roughly the same as Sydney/San Francisco/NYC in my experience.

We managed to hire a Nissan Livina for around AU$50/day for 3 weeks through this site http://www.iws.com.tw/ however that was at a 45% discount. There is an English translation available (see top left corner) but the problem is that the specials only seem to appear in the Mandarin version. It might pay to ring and ask if there are any specials - no harm in trying. The longer you hire it for there may be some room to negotiate too. If you know a local that's possibly the best way to get a cheaper price, if they are willing to negotiate for you. The other drawback with this mob is that there is no airport pickup and dropoff, you have to get to their offices which means a taxi ride from the airport ~1000NT (or bus into Taipei at around 220NT and then taxi).

Comment

Chenggong yesterday
      Attachment
      Attached Files

Comment

wow!! looks like new england!!

Comment

are scooters a good option? I've seen a few videos with people riding them with the board racks like in bali.

Comment

Hmmm, I wouldn't, but that's just me. They are all right around town and or riding around locally but they are prohibited on expressways as they are too slow which means taking the long way round most of the time. From Taipei to Toucheng takes 40mins by expressway and before it was completed it used to be 2 hours by train and about the same by car. That said though I met a couple of Canadian surfers over there, one had a motorbike with racks up the side and the other had a longboard mounted on a dolly that he was towing behind his scooter - it looked bloody funny, especially with the WWII style helmet.

Anyway, I wouldn't use a scooter as a means of transport to cover longer distances. I'd try to get to the place you will stay at using normal transport and then when there pick up a scooter (and racks maybe) so you can check the beaches and surf spots. I have no idea where but my wife tells me you can hire a scooter...getting surfboard racks might be the problem. If you decide to stay at either of the places I gave you I'm sure they can give you better advice on what options are available. I know Jun transports his guests to the spots but you more less have to surf where he wants. Still probably makes it easy as he has all the local knowledge.
            Last edited by Slowman; 10-22-2012, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Attachment
              ANother pic of Chenggong from weekend of the 13th October. I was lucky enough to have 4 days there and had a few days that were amazing. Last day myself and a friend surfing this place with not another person out. Good times and an amazing place. Highly recommend it. 5'10" sweet potato was a lot of fun.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by rppj View Post
                Attachment
                ANother pic of Chenggong from weekend of the 13th October. I was lucky enough to have 4 days there and had a few days that were amazing. Last day myself and a friend surfing this place with not another person out. Good times and an amazing place. Highly recommend it. 5'10" sweet potato was a lot of fun.
                Wow I could use some of that
                Attached Files

Comment

Hey Slowman, are you interested in selling any of your Firewires? Surfer Inn is all out of the models I want, and it seems that it would take 3 months to get a new order in...

Comment

Originally posted by Slowman View Post
                    Chenggong yesterday
                    Attachment
                    That look well cool. It reminds me of Murkle point at home. Only the water is not freezing there.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Goodfish View Post
                      Hey Slowman, are you interested in selling any of your Firewires? Surfer Inn is all out of the models I want, and it seems that it would take 3 months to get a new order in...
                      Sorry Goodfish, no not after I waited so long to get mine! I only have a hellfire in Taiwan and it's only been surfed once...the plan is to spend a couple of years living in TW but that is not for another year at least...at that time I'll be bring a couple over.

Originally posted by pmorgan View Post
                      That look well cool. It reminds me of Murkle point at home. Only the water is not freezing there.
                      Even in winter it is still very warm, it's only the trade winds that can be a bit cool and require something like a long sleeved spring suit.

Comment

Selling new El Fuego in Taiwan... was too keen to get a board after an Indo trip and pulled the trigger to quick. Ordered a 5'11" El Fuego swallow tail through Taiwan rep; now thinking I need to stay with a bit longer board for awhile. Anyone interested?

Comment

I don't think Surfers Inn are selling Firewire anymore. I got in touch with the Firewire rep for Taiwan about ordering a Unibrow, but it will take a month and a half to arrive. Anyone in the area know anywhere else they're being sold?

Comment

Last time I was there, across the road from 2 Lions and up the road a bit, I saw a surf shop with the Firewire logo.

Comment

Any idea of the shop's name?

Comment

Sorry, no idea. Paul Hsu, the distributor, surely can help you with the name of shops that retail them.

Comment

Working...
                                X