X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firewire dealer in Taiwan with demo models

I'm putting this up for a couple of reasons; one to help a friend and two, because there is no information on the dealers page (yet!). I was looking to get a Hellfire in Taiwan to save the hassle of taking one over it turned out by fortunate coincidence a friend is a dealer.

My friend, Turtle, owns a surf shop called the Surfer Inn ( see http://www.surferinn.com.tw/ ) and he has demo boards available too. It's on the NE coast of Taiwan in Toucheng (about 40-50 minutes drive from Taipei). Go to his website for contact details (his Chinese name is Lee, Yo-Lin but Turtle is easy to remember). There is even a Facebook page with a few pictures of the demo models. He speaks English too in case you were wondering.

Here's a picture so you know what you are looking for:
    Attachment
    It's tricky to locate here's a map link It's just off highway #2.

I have seen another surf shop on highway #2 with the Firewire logo on a sign outside so I'm guessing they are also a dealer. May as well add if you know of any.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Slowman; 07-11-2012, 06:53 AM.

How's the surf in Taiwan Slowman? And what time of year is the best season? Never really looked into it before.

Comment

Ha ha PRJ, July is about the worst month! Unless there is a typhoon the waves are typically small summer dribble in the 1-3' range. It's been 1' all this week. Winter is usually good but there are no typhoons but usually plenty of swell anyway varying from 2' to 10'. I've had good waves quite a few times around November/December but a lot of the time my visits are based on other timing factors and yet most times I come here I score something good. Different parts of the island have different optimum times but nowhere is more than 5 hours away, so it is possible to chase waves if you have the time.

Surfing here in the last 5 years has seen an explosion like Japan did back in the 80s and 90s. Plenty of Japanese surfers have been coming here (some even settled) to visit to escape their own crowds. There are a few good quality spots but more akin to a Trestles type wave though there some barreling waves too. The thing is, there is still the potential to locate new spots. The crowds stick to the popular spots. It's a bit of crazy place...I surfed this morning just out the front at Toucheng with at least a 100 guys in the water at 6am. Yet 5 minutes up the road, same quality and it was deserted, so I had a surf there afterwards too.
      Last edited by Slowman; 07-11-2012, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Sounds pretty interesting... Get some photos if you can!

Comment

Pictures? Why of course! Summer silly season is in full swing here, 6PM and the party is still going...
          Attachment Attachment
          hopefully I catch a decent swell in the next 10 days and have some photos of real waves
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Slowman; 07-11-2012, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Haha party time indeed!

Comment

Here's what it can get like...
              Attachment Attachment Attachment Attachment
              Attached Files

Comment

favorite wave, bottom left.

Comment

The 'Ours' of Taiwan.

Comment

Cheers Slowman, thanks for the info mate. Taiwan is definitely on my radar.

Comment

No worries TK!

Yesterday we had a pulse of swell got to shoulder height and head high on the bigger sets, some fun waves about, surfed 3 times...

Attachment Attachment
                      Attachment Attachment
                      Attached Files

Comment

Hey Slowman, I'm heading to Taiwan for the last two weeks of November. I plan on staying in the SE part Taitung. Hoping to find some nice lefts. Any advise on where I should go, as well im having a hard time figuring out how to get around with my surfboard down there. I only want to bring one board with me, you think a dominator is a good choice?

Comment

Originally posted by alltrue View Post
                          Hey Slowman, I'm heading to Taiwan for the last two weeks of November. I plan on staying in the SE part Taitung. Hoping to find some nice lefts. Any advise on where I should go, as well im having a hard time figuring out how to get around with my surfboard down there. I only want to bring one board with me, you think a dominator is a good choice?
                          Sorry Alltrue, didn't see this until now. Yep Taitung is the place to be.

I can recommend 2 places to stay...
                          1. Jun's place,

he's a Japanese surfer guy married to a local Ibu (she is an aborigine of Taiwan, Taiwan is a complex culture made up of Aborigines [been there forever], Hakka [1000 years from China], Hokkien [600 years from Fujian - Taiwanese dialect is from here, my wife is Hokkien], Han [60 years, Chinese mainlanders that came across with Chang Kai Shek when the counter revolution against the communists failed]), . His place is a surf shop with accommodation and transport chucked in (like most of the surf shops they double as hostels/hotels/tour operators). If you want clean accommodation with basic good food this is the place. Let me emphasise CLEAN. When it comes to clean the Japanese are fastidious. It will cost more but I think it will be worth it. This is where I would stay with my family. Here is their website http://www.easttaiwan-surf.com/en/about.html

2. Baybay's
                          She's a local through and through and the Island's female long boarding champ and Roxy Pro poster girl. Her place offers accommodation and some transport to the various spots working for the day as well as having a restaurant in which I have eaten. The food is good but I do recall seeing a rat running out of the kitchen! I'd probably still stay there but not with family. That's probably a stunning statement to make but I've seen them running around Aus restaurants too, so it is not as bad as it sounds. Once you get out of Taipei things look a bit grubbier but it isn't any worse than Indo...I'd say better.
                          Here's her Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/baybay.niu?fref=ts send her a message

Tell either of them I sent you and they'll probably give you a blank stare, tell them Craig Vernon sent you and the blank stare probably won't change much! Tell them I'm a friend of Randy's and they'll probably pretend to at least remember. This is one of the best areas for surf in Taiwan...if you can catch Chenggong (Palm Point) at 6'+ you'll be in for a treat. It is a lefthand point that is a fast but makeable wave. Not always that hollow but a usually a good steep wall at least and goes for more than a 100m when working properly. It gets a bit shallow towards the end.

Comment

You really need a car if you want to be free to explore by yourself, and it can be worth it to escape the crowds, as the popular spots tend to get crowded but there can still be other spots just a couple of points away that are deserted. To hire a car in TW you need an international drivers permit (see NRMA for one) but I doubt you can hire one in Donghe, which is where these places are, it is an outlying coastal town that is part of the Taitung County...to get to Taitung City it is probably a 30m drive. Although with some decent swell the crowds thin rapidly.

Comment

I was looking at renting a car, seems pricey though, seems to be around $80 per day.

Comment

Working...
                              X