Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well Ive traveld and surfed quite some time throughout Portugal. Peniche has some great waves and is open to swells from a variety of swell angles. On the other hand Peniche tends to be really crowded especially during the ASP contest in early october or during the public holidays from July to the end of august.
    Ericeira would be my pick. A short drive to the south of Peniche lies this beautiful fishing village. From north to south there are waves to be had for every level of ability. Beach breaks, gnarly reef breaks and semi points are on offer. As most of the surfers are beginners or intermediates the better spots tend to have less crowd pressure.
    Restaurants and shopping are great and the pastry + a galao for breakfast is second to none. On the Algarve ( Southwest Coast) the weather seems to be a lot warmer and the swells travel further and are cleaner and have a longer period. Almost all of the breaks are beach breaks and can be somewhere between world class to under average depending on the sandbanks. When a big swell hits the coast the south coast will get good. The south coast offers great setups and the dominant NW winds will be offshore.

Summers tend to be small and onshore, while fall is the prime season, winter is often to big and rough although this can be the prime season for the south coast.

Comment

Thanks lads...really appreciate the comments...cant wait to get there. Not just for surfing... Keep the comments coming if you have something to offer . I really do appreciate it.

Comment

All I know is that I'll be watching this tomorrow while I should be working...

http://live.ripcurl.com/?portugal2012

Comment

I'm from Portugal. I can help you if you want ;)

Cheers

Comment

How good is Sagres area? might go there next year, have a friend who lives near.

Comment

wish i was headed over...

Comment

Originally posted by Will. View Post
                How good is Sagres area? might go there next year, have a friend who lives near.
                Sagres can be nice but if you have a car you definitely should check the beaches of: Cordoama, Castelejo, Amado and Carrapateira

Comment

Hi, first post from me, I live near Lagos about 10 km from Sagres.

West coast and ideally an easterly wind for offshore up to about 6ft and 11 secs. Then it starts to get too big and alot of beaches can start closing. The south coast, ideally a northerly for offshore, then starts too switch on but it can be a bit of a shuffle finding the right beach. There is some localism going on around Sagres itelf so I tend to steer clear but you will have a good time its not a big problem.

Got a 5'8" FST Potatonator on its way, I'll send you guys some feedback when I have it. The info I found on this forum has been excellent, thank you.

Comment

We wanna see some pics!!!!. I've heard pretty nice things of portugal. Have an Australian mate who just was there and he tripped

Comment

I would be glad to help you bro... I live in oporto, north of portugal, here`s my e-mail if you need some friendly advice about where to stay, where to surf, places to go and everything else...
                      [email protected]

Best regards.

Comment

Working...
                      X