Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
UNIBROW - New model but not on the Firewire site yet? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    True dat, however I am a big fan of Dan Mann but did notice sims between the UB, CC and the Sub.

    Comment


    • #17
      Having sold my Dom for a Pnator, I only now realise what a magic allrounder the Dom was for smaller surf. Instant speed WITH great turning, great paddling and user-friendliness means Dan Mann designed some unusual combination of ingredients into it. It's one of those rare boards where the total package ends up being much more than just the sum of it's parts. I'm hoping he keeps this mojo going with the Unibrow. Need to know the surface area of the board to compare with Dom/Hellfire/Alt/Pnator boards I am familiar with, as I think volume only gives a partial indication of the lift or "push-back" resistance you experience from your board when up and riding. Planing surface and rocker distribution take over when up to speed on a wave and become the bigger factor in the equation. Surfing in the New Zealand National Surf Champs final next couple of days: second last year, hoping for first this time around before being finally put out to pasture!

      Comment


      • #18
        Good one piha. Good luck.

        Comment


        • #19
          Piha, what board have you been surfing in the comps?

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Piha Local View Post
            For me the CC looks to have too much of it's planing surface in the front half of the board. Creates swing weight that slows quick directional moves down. That was why I did not like the El Fuego when I demo'd it. Way too much board in front of you engaged in the wave when you jump to your feet, felt like you were following your board around rather than that "boardless" feeling Core talks about with his 5/10 Hellfire. The Unibrow seems to have a similar nose outline to the Hellfire, maybe even narrower, so should be nice and "nose-light" with most of the "engine-room" planing area located between your feet.
            This is also one of my worries, if I want something more performance oreientated/different to my EF maybe a unibrow is the call, It does appear to have a nice narrow nose
            In the photos, which is one of the reasons it appeals (plus I'm hoping for 5 fins).
            As kdroppin mentioned the tail rocker, doesn't this help to reduce the fishy feeling of having the wide point forward? Is the wide point as far forward as the EF?

            Comment


            • #21
              aurf, will be surfing the Hellfire, been my go-to board for a while now. Surf is crap tho, 5-8ft onshore washing machine for the whole week-long contest. Next week looking all-time---go figure!

              Comment


              • #22
                Dunno Piha, the CC wide point looks pretty close to centre to me, only slightly forward. I like that combo of width a touch forward and a good tail rocker.

                I imagine the size of the board you're riding plays a big role with boards like that. I'm tall but fairly light so would be on a 509 or 510 and therefore can have my front foot centred at that wide point and easily drive off that foot down the line and surf off the tail when the wave stands up. A shorter/heavier guy on a longer board surfing off the tail would have the wide point out in front of them as you described. Maybe wide point back boards like the Unibrow are a big plus for those people. I'm not sure I've ever ridden a board with the wide point below centre actually.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by buzzy View Post
                  Not whining....but I do agree with the sentiment that the release should have been annouced here at least around about the same time as retailers are being given a heads up.

                  I'm pretty certain I'll move to a Unibrow as my daily driver when they're released in Oz. I'll almost certainly be picking up the 6'6". The only real question is whether I'll retain the Dom for very small days or use the Unibrow for that as well. Given they're around the same volume and some width still seems to be retained in the Unibrow (with added volume along the centre line) I'm guessing it will be fine for very small days - not significantly worse than the Dom - but that's one of the things I'll be looking for feedback on before ordering.

                  Hi All,

                  Have to hold our hands up to this one and apologise to Firewire and you all. You are correct that it is best if boards are released on the Firewire website before we announce them as retailers.

                  Pure human error on our part and we probably jumped the gun a bit.

                  The culprit has been punished by being forced to surf a standard PU board for the next couple of weeks. Imagine the shame and loss of speed!

                  To the best of my knowledge the Unibrow will be 5 fin. The sample we had only had the three fin boxes.

                  Stunning looking board!

                  Sorry again

                  Cheers

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Aha!, the truth finally sets us free. All is forgiven, just rush these little thoroughbreds out to us asap. IMO Sam Lamiroy is the bee's knees when it comes to insightful, eloquent, authoritative and entertaining analysis of Firewire boards. Pay him to do video and/or text reviews for this site----- cheap at the price, kind of like an ex-celeb endorsement deal. [Sorry about the 'ex' Sam!]
                    prj, I think you are possibly right, shorter stockier guys are limited in how wide they can set their stance so probably need the bulk of the planing area concentrated around their feet. Also, it's not so much wide-point that is the single definer, as the relative positioning of the planing area front to back, influenced by the outline curve and nose width/tail width, can vary independently of the wide-point. BTW I suspect Cheyne Horan's Lazor Zaps were wide-point back, also maybe Geoff McCoy nuggets?

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      No worries folks. It was going to go up this week but there were a few housekeeping issues we had to take care of with the web. Keep your eyes peeled. will be up soon!

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Piha Local View Post
                        Aha!, the truth finally sets us free. All is forgiven, just rush these little thoroughbreds out to us asap. IMO Sam Lamiroy is the bee's knees when it comes to insightful, eloquent, authoritative and entertaining analysis of Firewire boards. Pay him to do video and/or text reviews for this site----- cheap at the price, kind of like an ex-celeb endorsement deal. [Sorry about the 'ex' Sam!]
                        prj, I think you are possibly right, shorter stockier guys are limited in how wide they can set their stance so probably need the bulk of the planing area concentrated around their feet. Also, it's not so much wide-point that is the single definer, as the relative positioning of the planing area front to back, influenced by the outline curve and nose width/tail width, can vary independently of the wide-point. BTW I suspect Cheyne Horan's Lazor Zaps were wide-point back, also maybe Geoff McCoy nuggets?
                        ditto

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          I personally don't mind a bit of extra width in the nose for a small wave board. I find if the waves are a bit soft the extra width helps get the board planing earlier and can be pushed against to generate speed. I also like a more neutral board though when its small but the wave has push. Basically I like both styles.

                          The Zap definitely had the wide point back. The nugget isn't quite as aggressive but is a definite tear drop shape.

                          Board shop - no worries. I'm excited by that board and who can blame others for being excited!

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Piha Local View Post
                            For me the CC looks to have too much of it's planing surface in the front half of the board. Creates swing weight that slows quick directional moves down. That was why I did not like the El Fuego when I demo'd it. Way too much board in front of you engaged in the wave when you jump to your feet, felt like you were following your board around rather than that "boardless" feeling Core talks about with his 5/10 Hellfire. The Unibrow seems to have a similar nose outline to the Hellfire, maybe even narrower, so should be nice and "nose-light" with most of the "engine-room" planing area located between your feet.
                            Yes I like that feeling of being able to stand in one spot and turn anywhere with speed and looseness. I like the "engine room" concept for the major planing surface area. I jumped on my hellfire the other day (just because) and it made me realise just how loose this thing is, I've been riding the JK almost exclusively since I got it and thought it was loose enough but I realise now not as loose as the HF and not as fast either. It is down the line but not up the face.

                            Originally posted by Piha Local View Post
                            ...Also, it's not so much wide-point that is the single definer, as the relative positioning of the planing area front to back, influenced by the outline curve and nose width/tail width, can vary independently of the wide-point. BTW I suspect Cheyne Horan's Lazor Zaps were wide-point back, also maybe Geoff McCoy nuggets?
                            Indeed, you can have a wide point back of centre and still have most of the main planing surface further forward depending on how the plan shape curves. And of course rocker has an influence too but good shapers match the rocker and major planing area so it all works together.

                            I believe the Futura and Quadra5 both have the wide point back of centre, from the product description on this site, and just from looking, it looks to me like the Hellfire, Hellrazor, MB and JK do too. Although in the case of the JK there is still a lot of area forward and while the nose is fullish it is not as full as the dom/spit, and the swing weight is reduced by it being a lot more thinned out and refined. It's definitely thinner than the Hellfire's nose but not as narrow.

                            Originally posted by buzzy View Post
                            I personally don't mind a bit of extra width in the nose for a small wave board. I find if the waves are a bit soft the extra width helps get the board planing earlier and can be pushed against to generate speed. I also like a more neutral board though when its small but the wave has push. Basically I like both styles.

                            The Zap definitely had the wide point back. The nugget isn't quite as aggressive but is a definite tear drop shape.

                            Board shop - no worries. I'm excited by that board and who can blame others for being excited!
                            I definitely enjoy the spit/dom in smaller or weaker waves because of their ability to generate speed easily, but again these are still boards you can ride from the tail without having to move around (much or rarely).

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Good clarification Slowman, we like similar characteristics in our boards, I just have to surf a little bigger volume because of age. Just got in from my final in NZ National champs. Only managed 3rd this time, total lottery with 5ft+ washing machine random mess, outgoing tide and 30mph + onshores. Plus it's raining! Kite boarders having a ball, no one else. Firewire Hellfires in 2nd and third place tho, so all is well!

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Yewww

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X