X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Complete quiver re-build?

So... I've been thinking a lot about swapping some of my boards for some time now. I like every board when the conditions is right for it, but I would like to have one board less in the quiver; making it easier to have the complete quiver with me all the time + making it easier to decide what board to choose.

My current quiver: see my signature.

Could this quiver work, or will I miss out on some conditions?
    5'8 Potatonator

5'11 Chubby Chedda
    - (or 6'0, by the looks of it there's really not much difference in the two?)

6'8 Flexfire Direct Drive pin-tail
    - (the one I currently own) could probably replace this with something else, but I really don't mind having a bit bigger board when the conditions might be a bit difficult and big)

Really hard to decide to sell almost all my boards, what do you think? I'm open for other suggestions as well.

Originally posted by Erling View Post
    So... I've been thinking a lot about swapping some of my boards for some time now. I like every board when the conditions is right for it, but I would like to have one board less in the quiver; making it easier to have the complete quiver with me all the time + making it easier to decide what board to choose.

My current quiver: see my signature.

Could this quiver work, or will I miss out on some conditions?
    5'8 Potatonator

5'11 Chubby Chedda
    - (or 6'0, by the looks of it there's really not much difference in the two?)

6'8 Flexfire Direct Drive pin-tail
    - (the one I currently own) could probably replace this with something else, but I really don't mind having a bit bigger board when the conditions might be a bit difficult and big)

Really hard to decide to sell almost all my boards, what do you think? I'm open for other suggestions as well.
    Looks pretty good Erling but you could probably go a smaller Potatonator if you wanted - I'm 88kg on the 5'8.

Comment

I'm not so sure myself. One tiny wave board, one small wave board and a mini gun.

I reckon the obvious missing piece is a standard HPSB.

If you like heaving waves the FF definitely has a place but if it was me I'd lose the FF in favour of a Bourez thin or a Hellrazor or just keep the Alt.

Comment

Originally posted by Goanna View Post
        Looks pretty good Erling but you could probably go a smaller Potatonator if you wanted - I'm 88kg on the 5'8.
        I know what you mean but for the conditions he surfs on plus the heavy wetsuits I believe the 5'8" is an understandable choice

Comment

A friend of mine has just got the 5'8 potatonator, so I will give it a go before I make up my mind.... was just thinking that a bit more volume in crappy waves wouldn't hurt... the sweet potato is almost 36L, and yes too big... but I'm not sure the 5'2 would be as fun in the small/fat waves....

Well... the reason I don't feel the need for a standard HPSB is just because I feel that in the waves I surf mostly I don't feel the need for one.... the Alternator is a great board, but something a bit shorter and wider just goes a lot better in the average waves here... and after reading about the CC it looks like it goes really well i good waves as well...

3 boards of such a different type will probably not work optimal in every condition.... But I do feel that the Sweet Potato and the spitfire is the boards I use most, and the sweet potato just doesn't feel like I want it too in better waves.... although REALLY fun in the right conditions.... and the same with the spit... it needs a bit more power in the waves to get going, and then I feel that I might be better on something with a slightly narrower tail, but not quite the alternator..... might just need to get some more surf, I do remember loving the Alternator last winter.....

Comment

Originally posted by iggy View Post
            I know what you mean but for the conditions he surfs on plus the heavy wetsuits I believe the 5'8" is an understandable choice
            Fair call Iggy

Comment

but, no one else with any other suggestions or ideas?

Anyone with a potatonator and an CC or maybe SubS in their quiver? What conditions will they cover... and how does this setup work out for you?

If you already had a step up, what would the other too boards be for everything up to 1-1.5 overhead.... ?
              Last edited by Erling; 04-05-2013, 01:50 PM.

Comment

For me, I couldn't live without the Sweet Potato now. For thigh to chest high there's nothing I'd rather be on. Too much fun.

If you wanted something to cover you from chest to overhead over a range of quality I don't think you could go too far wrong with the Chubby Chedda. Though I'm having fun with the Vanguard currently, it's probably too specific a board for something that needs to be fun and versatile. The CC looks versatile to me.

Then when it gets serious you've got the Step up.

Comment

Yeah I know... it would be hard to part with the potato..... maybe a 5'2 would work better, or even a baked potato. Summers on the doorstep, will probably need the potato more than I think. But it would be nice to have just three boards to bring along.... we'll see how things play out...

You used the subs in quite steep and big waves didn't you? regret selling it? why did you sell it?

Comment

Yeah I had the Sub as a one board quiver for the whole winter one year. Held its own fine.
                    I sold it because the volume was a touch low for smaller conditions and it was a bit short for my height in bigger conditions and my CBD went so well I was planning on using that in anything it would go in.

I do regret selling the Sub, it was one of my favourite boards ever. The CC in the 509 seems perfect to me.

Comment

I mean 5'10"

Comment

That's what I was thinking.... haven't dried boards below 30L, but I think I prefer a bit more over a bit less.... so the 5'11 should be good. Might start with buying a CC, find out what boards it replaces and go from there.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xexUy...XQonSw&index=1

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zU6qEPkQnA

Comment

Seems like the CC should be a nice blend of the alternator and spitfire:

Attachment
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X