Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm selling the sweet/spit/alt... only keeping the step-up... so the only boards I'll have will be: potatonator + chubby chedda + flexfire.

Yeah, I know the the 5'8 will have more bottom range... was just wondering if maybe the 5'6 would be big enough to work as well. Like the sweet potato there is a big gap; 5'2@[email protected] and 5'[email protected] and it seems that people at my size and bigger is happy with both, but I think that the 5'2 has enough volume to cover the bottom range and might feel better due to more correct volume.... My impression is that oversizing a board isn't always a good thing; yes it paddles better and might catch waves easier... but it might not surf the way you want it to... and instead of going bigger on one model it might be better to get the right size in a different model.... but without trying both sizes it's hard to tell and that's why I'm hoping someone with experience with any of the two or both will help me out :)
    Last edited by Erling; 04-16-2013, 01:06 PM.

Comment

I would say looking at the current quiver that the 508 would be a great bottom end board. I have has 3 PN,s due to poor advice from the shop and also moving to a better surf location.
      I am 70 kgs and first had a 508 PN this board was too easy to paddle and I new straight away it was too much vol. But this did not seem to hamper the performance of the board.
      I could chuck it about do cut backs small off the lips etc. I manage to swap for a 506 and apart from the length I did not feel a huge reduction in float and paddle power. Kinda contradicting my first statement.

I now have a 504 which is my go to for beach brakes when conditions are not great and tidal changes affect the wave during a session. I really love this board but there was a bit of a different feel dropping to the 504.
      I don't think you would be wrong on either size. But for shear grovel power the 508 will have the edge.

Comment

Had the chance to try out a 5'8 Potatonator today. Not the ideal conditions, with side-on wind and weak waves in the knee to waist range. The board felt lighter than my 5'4 sweet potato, and did feel like the right size under my arm... but when paddling and sitting on the board it did feel a bit too floaty... didn't seem to affect the performance though. For those kind of conditions the 5'8 would be the one, but I'm afraid that if the waves are a bit better I might like the 5'6 better.... not knowing there the 5'11 Chubby Chedda would start working it's hard to tell if the 5'8 or 5'6 is the right one for me.

anyone around my weight who has tried both or any of them? Afraid if I go 5'6 I'll end up with the same problem as with the spitfire... but again the 5'8 felt like it had a bit too much float.... a 5'7 Potatonator with 32 liters anyone ?;)

Comment

5'3 Baked Potato????? :)

Comment

noooo, not more options! ;)

I really liked the Potatonator shape and how it surfed, just want to get the right size. The sweet potato is really fun, but it does have to be surfed a certain way and I think that would be same for the baked potato.
            Sold my Alterantor today, so just need to decide what potatonator and then there will be a 5'11 CC and a potatonator on the way :)

There was a guy surfing on a Vanguard this morning, that board was flying all over the place!:D Too bad the wind shifted from offshore to onshore by the time I got into the water....
            Last edited by Erling; 04-20-2013, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Good to hear everyone else is clicking with the Vanguard but me!

Comment

It's not working for you ?

Comment

Originally posted by Erling View Post
                  It's not working for you ?
                  If you found the 508 good but a little too floaty the 506 will be perfect. When I dropped between the 508 to the 506 I did not notice a huge difference in floatability. There was a much bigger difference between the 506 and the 504.

Shame to here the VG is not working out for you Prj. I am still not sold. My local shop is trying to get a demo board in but he is 5 hrs away from me so going to try grab the thing for a week or so.

Comment

To be fair I just haven't had a session in consistent, lined up waves without 30+mph winds with it. I've had a few waves scattered among the sessions where it's felt incredible...more exciting than any other board I've ridden. But at the same time, so many waves that it's felt off on.
                    I need a good session in good waves and I reckon I'll get confident on it.

Comment

That's what I'm hoping for... but you're about 10kg lighter than me... so the reason for why you didn't feel much difference in the 5'6 and 5'8 might be because they both had a lot of volume for you? 4 Liters in difference should be quite noticeable ?

aaaaaaaa..... wish we had a demo center around here.

btw: is there something wrong with the board compare ? it seems like the potatonator and the spitfire is the same shape...
                      http://www.boardformula.com/showanimation/4117/4431/

Comment

I can't put my finger on it. The 506 felt looser but just as stable and just as much float and paddle power. I now ride a 504 and with some tweaking of how I ride small waves I can manage to ride knee high stuff as long as there is a wee peak to get the board going. If you set it up as a twin with some mr fins it's crazy loose. I have tried the Mr fronts which are huge and some side bites in the rear. This creates lots of speed in slop and still turned on a dime.

Comment

Originally posted by Erling View Post
                          That's what I'm hoping for... but you're about 10kg lighter than me... so the reason for why you didn't feel much difference in the 5'6 and 5'8 might be because they both had a lot of volume for you? 4 Liters in difference should be quite noticeable ?

aaaaaaaa..... wish we had a demo center around here.

btw: is there something wrong with the board compare ? it seems like the potatonator and the spitfire is the same shape...
                          http://www.boardformula.com/showanimation/4117/4431/
                          Graphic view is almost the same but tech view is different especially tail and volume.I try both boards and PN is bigger than SPIT AND can grovell better in the conditions you describe above.I am the same weight and had the same dilemma with you 5.6 or 5.8? Maybe BP 5.3 as prjwebb said is right but i recognise PN had the benefits of potato family with SP performance added a magic small wave board.Good luck..

Comment

custom: what did you end up with, 5'6 or 5'8 ? And how does it work out ?

Comment

My 5.8 PN destroyed{bad luck} try to save money now to buy a new one probably 5.6. I didn't have problem with 5.8 till head high and reasonable wave power but i like to add more performance and go for 5.6 but not sure yet so many magic boards to choose...

Comment

custom how did it get destroyed??

Comment

Working...
                                X