• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New board day! Stoked

Comment

Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
      New board day! Stoked
      YES! Hope I get to test one of them out this evening.

Comment

I'm looking for a step up board from my 6'4 PN. I'm 6'4 220lbs / 95-100kg. I love my PN in Florida waves, probably should of bought the 6'2 but love the extra paddle power and wave count. Want another FW board and considering UB 6'8 or VG 6'2 which are both around 42/43 volume. Looking for a travel board for Nica, CR, SW AUS and steeper days in FL. I'm not sure about the VG for an average surfer just yet and I feel it won't paddle well? Unibrow looks to tick all the boxes. Like the CC, but it's high end volume isn't enough for a big boy like me or is it? I'm not sure 40 volume will have great paddle? Anyone my size share to comment. I'm sure if I surfed everyday it would be, but it's hard to surf in FL once a week little lone once a day.

Comment

Hello Erling,
          Just puzzled on how your profile picture has the boards you just purchased. It seems that's been your profile for quite some time!

Comment

Got to surf the potatonator for a couple of hours. There was a small crowd, some waiting for the sets and cross on wind so there a lot of closeout. Waves around waist to shoulder size, soft with some fun sections that had a little shape to them. BUT, this board flies! The volume felt perfect, and getting into waves was no problem. Would probably been happy with the 5'8 as well, especially if I was planning on using it in the conditions (small/mushy/soft/weak) I was using my Sweet Potato in. But I think this 5'6 will end up being the perfect everyday board for average waves here and hopefully the CC will work well when the waves are better with some shape to them :)
            Usually it takes a few surfsessions for me to get used to a new board, but I instantly clicked with this one, so STOKED! I felt it made me a better surfer, making sections I didn't think I could and even trying a few floaters down the line. The biggest surprise however was the late takeoffs; I didn't think this board could handle it with the wide tail, but it holds/bites well. The rail is actually not that fat and nothing like my old 5'4 Sweet potato.
            Looking forward to the next time I get to use it, but hope I can test the CC as well. Just hope they don't overlap too much. I think I've been too focused on volume lately... but after riding the 5'6 -nator with 30.3L and it being the lowest I've gone as far as volume goes, I know the rocker/shape/width/rail/etc.. of the board affects how the board performs more than just the volume.

Here's a picture from Instagram, from the day/spot I surfed:
            some was steeper/cleaner, but most of them was a bit smaller/softer. Think I could have used the CC as well, but the -nator probably made the session more fun and got me more waves, especially the smaller/weaker ones.
            Attachment

@Egorian: not sure I would have the VG as a step-up, but Chris/prjwebb/Igor would have the correct answer regarding that one. I would think that a 6'0 or even a 5'10 Potatonator would be enough volume for you, based on what a few friends of mine is using (85-95 kg). I think the Unibrow or Alternator would be a good stepup for you, but I depends on what volume you're looking for. If you want something similar to your 6'4 Potatonator maybe a 6'10 Alternator or Unibrow is the way to go... but if you ask me that's way too big for you.

@Hermano: well, the old profile picture was almost identical; just different boards. So this one is new, and was updated the day I got my new boards.

OLD:
            Attachment

NEW:
            Attachment
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Erling; 05-02-2013, 11:54 PM.

Comment

erling that is a fun looking setup!!

Comment

Mate! that’s a perfect match. I have a similar set up with the Sub and PN also. I don’t think the overlap too much as the PN excels in the mush where as the sub struggles a bit. The pn has the five fin option too.
                I recently added a mini driver to my quiver and love that board as a step up for the sub.
                Again! Good luck with the new boards.

Originally posted by Erling View Post
                Got to surf the potatonator for a couple of hours. There was a small crowd, some waiting for the sets and cross on wind so there a lot of closeout. Waves around waist to shoulder size, soft with some fun sections that had a little shape to them. BUT, this board flies! The volume felt perfect, and getting into waves was no problem. Would probably been happy with the 5'8 as well, especially if I was planning on using it in the conditions (small/mushy/soft/weak) I was using my Sweet Potato in. But I think this 5'6 will end up being the perfect everyday board for average waves here and hopefully the CC will work well when the waves are better with some shape to them :)
                Usually it takes a few surfsessions for me to get used to a new board, but I instantly clicked with this one, so STOKED! I felt it made me a better surfer, making sections I didn't think I could and even trying a few floaters down the line. The biggest surprise however was the late takeoffs; I didn't think this board could handle it with the wide tail, but it holds/bites well. The rail is actually not that fat and nothing like my old 5'4 Sweet potato.
                Looking forward to the next time I get to use it, but hope I can test the CC as well. Just hope they don't overlap too much. I think I've been too focused on volume lately... but after riding the 5'6 -nator with 30.3L and it being the lowest I've gone as far as volume goes, I know the rocker/shape/width/rail/etc.. of the board affects how the board performs more than just the volume.

Here's a picture from Instagram, from the day/spot I surfed:
                some was steeper/cleaner, but most of them was a bit smaller/softer. Think I could have used the CC as well, but the -nator probably made the session more fun and got me more waves, especially the smaller/weaker ones.
                Attachment

@Egorian: not sure I would have the VG as a step-up, but Chris/prjwebb/Igor would have the correct answer regarding that one. I would think that a 6'0 or even a 5'10 Potatonator would be enough volume for you, based on what a few friends of mine is using (85-95 kg). I think the Unibrow or Alternator would be a good stepup for you, but I depends on what volume you're looking for. If you want something similar to your 6'4 Potatonator maybe a 6'10 Alternator or Unibrow is the way to go... but if you ask me that's way too big for you.

@Hermano: well, the old profile picture was almost identical; just different boards. So this one is new, and was updated the day I got my new boards.

OLD:
                Attachment

NEW:
                Attachment
                Attached Files

Comment

yeah, I hope so @pmorgan :)

Will have to see how the CC goes and then I might swap the step-up for something else... but I really think that the CC will work well in most conditions (bigger/stepper) we get here, and when it's too big for that I don't mind using the step-up just to get into waves early and make it out even if I don't need that kind of board here.

Comment

Thanks for the shots pretty instructive!!

Comment

Working...
                    X