Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SoCal visit

Hey guys,
    i m gonna be visiting my family this september. I m gonna be staying most of the time in the LA area and might drive up to SF or down to SD whats the whether and the water temperature like? what kind of wet-suite would you guys recommend for september in SoCal?
    thanks for ur help

Hey Smile, I remember my first visit to SoCal in 1984 for the LA games. Summer hot on land but cold in the water. All I brought were board shorts, around Orange County (Trestles, San Onofre, Huntington) it was bearable but as I drove north the water got colder. I got as far as Morro Bay and had to buy a steamer (it was a 5/4!). Carmel to SF they wear wetsuits all year. It blew me away here I was perspiring just standing on the beach in summer but the water was absolutely frigid.

I have been going back to Santa Cruz quite a bit over the years as I score a few assignments working in San Jose/Almaden/Los Gatos and the water in SC is always cold. I'll be back there in a week or so for a couple of weeks. You will need a steamer if you go north. If you stay down south a spring suit might the go.

Comment

thanks for your quick answer slowman. i was thinking about bringing my steamer and i think you just underlined my thoughts. So i m definitely gonna bring one now. Where are you gonna be this time and how long are you staying there?

Comment

I'll be working and staying in Los Gatos, just 20 minutes away from SC. I'll be there for 2 weeks. This time of year it's usually pretty small and junky so I'm bringing my mountain bike instead heaps of trails to dirt surf! Plus I'll be working like 8am to 8pm during the week only leaving me with the option of w/e surfing so I'm not that keen. I came the last time in 2009 (August/Sept) for 6 weeks and there was only one w/e with some decent swell....but knowing my luck it will pump the whole 2 weeks! If that happens I'll hit up a mate in SF and borrow a board and maybe buy a new steamer (almost time for a new one). Maybe even see if I can book a demo board.
        Last edited by Slowman; 08-18-2012, 02:01 PM.

Comment

I live is San Luis Obispo which is just a few hours south of Santa Cruz and most people wear 4/3s year round because the water stays around mid 50 F (Sorry not sure what that is C) . It can get near 60 but that is a 3/2 for most. I go without booties and hood until late fall but I hate wearing booties (I wear a O'neil Mutant 4/3mm with a zip-in hood for the colder days).

I think the Fall is actualy the best for the central coast as the North Pacific gets going and the weather is still pleasant. It gets bigger in the winter but it normally means more wind and rubber to avoid ice cream headaches. I hope the swell kicks up while you are here and you can get in the water. I would definitely demo a board and rent/buy a suit if you get a chance.

Comment

Ok so i ll make sure to bring my steamer instead my spring suit... i believe it will be the better choice after what you guys told me. thanks a lot for the advice. and i m sorry slowman that you have to work most of the time you re there but at least you get some surf where you re from ;-)
            the only thing that concerns me now is the swell. you guys are probably experts in that area too :D would it be a good choice to bring my sweet potatoe or are the waves gonna be better then that?
            thanks again for your help. makes planing my trip a whole lot easier!

Comment

Study the swell charts. Decent swells can roll through but it's not very consistent (during summer) in my experience. A good all round board would be the go I think.
              Last edited by Slowman; 08-20-2012, 06:07 PM.

Comment

yeah a 3/2 will have you completely covered...

Comment

Working...
                X