Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planning first ever trip to Costa Rica

Hi all,

Some friends and I are tired of the small gutless inconsistent waves of South Carolina, and we have decided to plan a trip to Costa Rica. Only problem is no of us have ever been there. Some advice on where to go and places to stay would be much appreciated. We are not sure exactly which month, but it is looking like this November. I know that is 9/10 months out, but we are starting our research now. Also, we are not looking for 10ft waves; waist to head high would be perfect.

Thanks for your help.

Hey
    We spent a couple of months in Costa Rica in 09 and we found the best places to stay was at Pavones in the South, Playa Hermosa in the middle and Playa Negra up North. More stuff happening in Playa Hermosa so it is a good place to hang around for a short while if you want to party a bit.

Also, it is pretty easy to travel up to Nicaragua, which is supernice. Not sure how the winds and the weather are then in November. Think it rainy season then.

It really comes down to how long you guys are staying

Comment

The Malpais/Santa Teresa area was my favourite on the Nicoya Peninsula. We drove around quite a bit and that was the funnest area we surfed. Playa Negra was nice. I'm not sure what the season is like in November though.

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies!

November is not set in stone. It might be the earliest we can leave due to expanding families. With enough bribes we might be able to go as early as June or July. Also, we will stay for a week or so.

Thanks

Comment

you'll have fun no matter where you go though. So many fun beach breaks. And try to get off the beaten path too. Lots of gems.

Comment

I've been a bunch of times , if you go in June or July it could be big . You would want to go to the point breaks for that cause hermosa will be closing out and that's no fun but boca barranca is fun and spots 1 to 2 km south of there are fun also , pavones is super but watch the crowds best time is when the swell is fading cause the crowd thins out also check the other breaks around there to the north and south , only a few km away . I was just there for January , stayed at hermosa palms and surfed 3 to 4 footers everyday for 6 hours straight on my sweet potato ! Loved it !!

Comment

Originally posted by Chucktown.Surfer View Post
              Thanks for the quick replies!

November is not set in stone. It might be the earliest we can leave due to expanding families. With enough bribes we might be able to go as early as June or July. Also, we will stay for a week or so.

Thanks

I'd do some more research on seasons before deciding when u want to go. I went in July/August and the waves at hermosa were always head high or bigger, the waves up around tamarindo were smaller fun and nice for two days but a storm stalled off the coast and set in for the last two weeks sending big messy not well lined up surf for the rest of the trip. I'm sure we got really unlucky with that storm but I'm pretty sure that the opposite season over Xmas to easter period is when all the fun sized dead clean lined up waste to head high stuff comes. Wish I'd gone in that season!

Comment

Working...
              X