Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone out there surfed the unibrow yet.Hanging out to get some info on how this board performs and how it compares to other firewire models.I. Am currently riding the Michel Bourez board and the unibrow has caught my eye as a shape that might be a better all rounder .Still loving the Bourez board but some days need a board with better grovel ability.

Comment

Are you there Chris? Thought you may have ridden the unibrow?

Comment

its the weekend.... wait til the workweek

Comment

70 -72 KG (depending on the season) intermiediate, UK waves plus easy tropical stuff (think maldives, sri lanka, easier indo waves) chuck in some summer beach breaks hossegor, portugal, spain. Really interested in the unibrow as my travel board and board for better waves at home as iv always surfed a bit better on something a bit hybrid like.

I have a 5'9 EF with 28.6 litres vol as my main board, im comfortable on this volume even when in a 6mm wetty with boots and gloves.

Play it safe and go with the 5'9 brow at this is 28.8 ltrs for easy paddling and getting into waves early
          or go 5'8 at 27.5 ltrs for slightly higher performance?

I know im around the right volume at 28.6 with the EF but I wonder if id be better off with slightly less ?

Comment

I'd go 508 at your height and weight but I can't imagine you'd be limited in anyway by going for the 509.

Comment

Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
              I'd go 508 at your height and weight but I can't imagine you'd be limited in anyway by going for the 509.
              thanks prj,

i remember when i started looking at FW boards I had no idea of volume and was almost going to buy boards around 34 ltrs.... my potato feels a bit huge at 32, im def way happier at around 27 or 28 for a more normal board..... im sure either 8 or 9 will do the trick here, its not a massive difference after all, its great they are sizing some of these new ones without 2" gaps

Comment

the Unibrow, in my opinion, is going to replace boards like the Dominator/Spitfire for a lot of good to advanced surfers. It offers a more refined tail, a more progressive rocker, a nice single to double and a little less over all width. It is, however, still an insane groveller, it just opens up the performance ceiling for that type of board. The round tail makes the board silky smooth from rail to rail and great as the conditions get better.

http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/su...oardid=unibrow

Comment

oh man.. sounds goooood! whats the target wave range u think chris? 3-5? u ride a thruster on it?

Comment

yeah i would say that's about right! I have been back east for the last few weeks helping with relocating a sick elderly family member and I have been riding it in 2 foot to overhead (depending on power of the swell). From an EC perspective, you can really ride it in a lot of conditions. The tail really distinguished it from the Dominator. Out on your steeper beaches you totally could ride it thigh high if its steep. especially on the right tide in seasons when you are in light neoprene.

Cheers

Comment

Chris any word on if any 5'9s are coming in to the uk in the march shipment? Apparently it's going to be just best I can order is a 5'8... Still not sure if a 5'8 or 9 would be better for me looks like I might have to wait till may for the 5'9 if I think that's the way to go

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                        yeah i would say that's about right! I have been back east for the last few weeks helping with relocating a sick elderly family member and I have been riding it in 2 foot to overhead (depending on power of the swell). From an EC perspective, you can really ride it in a lot of conditions. The tail really distinguished it from the Dominator. Out on your steeper beaches you totally could ride it thigh high if its steep. especially on the right tide in seasons when you are in light neoprene.

Cheers
                        that sounds good man.. u on a 5'9?

Comment

the Unibrow, in my opinion, is going to replace boards like the Dominator/Spitfire for a lot of good to advanced surfers. It offers a more refined tail, a more progressive rocker, a nice single to double and a little less over all width. It is, however, still an insane groveller, it just opens up the performance ceiling for that type of board. The round tail makes the board silky smooth from rail to rail and great as the conditions get better.

Chris, you rock!

Can I just pose a question? I find the volume of a 6'4" Dom ideal in small waves, but in mid size ones I start to notice the extra volume in the tail. Still very much surfable but there's very little margin for error in foot placement. I've always thought a Dom with more refined rails and a bit more nose rocker would be ideal, and the Unibrow looks a lot like that. So I guess I'm wondering with the rails and tail now more refined would it matter a great deal if I carried all that volume along the centre line (I'm guessing it's there)? I guess what I'm wondering is whether I can keep the volume in a 6'6" Unibrow (similar to my 6'4" Dom) yet get the refinement benefits of the less chunked up rail and tail? I tend to like the extra volume for smaller waves and if I can keep that benefit with more wave feel all the better.

Any comments appreciated.

Comment

Very much what I was wondering, this plan shape really appeals to my eye.

Comment

Hey Chris, when would the unibrow be available for the US? The board looks goooood for in between Dom & MB very excited on new boards good job FW!!!!

Comment

Chris, - or anyone who has been on the unibrow; is it a board that is surfed off the tail like the Dom, or more to be driven off the front foot and lean back and kick to SNAP?
                                I am thinking volume wise about halfway between my 30l HP and 33.5 l Dom?

Comment

Working...
                                X