Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by buzzy View Post
    Chris, you rock!

Can I just pose a question? I find the volume of a 6'4" Dom ideal in small waves, but in mid size ones I start to notice the extra volume in the tail. Still very much surfable but there's very little margin for error in foot placement. I've always thought a Dom with more refined rails and a bit more nose rocker would be ideal, and the Unibrow looks a lot like that. So I guess I'm wondering with the rails and tail now more refined would it matter a great deal if I carried all that volume along the centre line (I'm guessing it's there)? I guess what I'm wondering is whether I can keep the volume in a 6'6" Unibrow (similar to my 6'4" Dom) yet get the refinement benefits of the less chunked up rail and tail? I tend to like the extra volume for smaller waves and if I can keep that benefit with more wave feel all the better.

Any comments appreciated.
    Just to add another question - could the Unibrow be considered a replacement for the Alternator for up to 2x overhead? I'm trying to ger my head around the performance range etc and where this board sits in a quiver.

Comment

Hey Buzzy,

So this is a little bit of a harder answer to explain. In my opinion, the smaller and lighter the surfer, the more the Unibrow is a hybrid. However the bigger and heavier the surfer is, the more the Unibrow becomes like a shortboard. One of our guys in house here is 6'4 230 and he rides a 608 Unibrow I believe and its his shortboard basically. I do think that heavier surfers can do more with bigger boards in good surf than lighter.

So with that said, I am kind of thinking you could easily ride the Unibrow in place of the Alternator. I would say it wouldn't be ideal in heaving tubes, but take an 8-10 foot face a kind of a peeling beach with offshore winds, a nice point break, and a confident, larger, strong surfer could make it work.

Its an imperfect answer, but that is kind of how i see it.

Cheers

Comment

Thanks Chris.

Comment

Chris would you say its closer to a Spitfire? Hellfire ? or Hellrzor in terms of the Hybrid - Shortboard Scale

Still trying to work out if it is the board for me, im fairly light at around 72KG/intermediete 5'8 ish high, thinking of riding a 5'8 as my new go to board. Although im still tempted by a tomo, chedda or razor.

Thanks

Comment

Fondled up a 5'10 Unibrow last night. Nice board, little bit of volume under chest, nice and refined through nose and tail, definitely narrower in nose and tail compared to the Dominator. The tail is not narrow as the Mini Driver and the MD carries more volume forward than the UB.

Deep single concave from the front of the board all the way to the front of the fins where it splits into a fairly deep double concave the rest of the way out to the tail. The tail is a tad wider than i thought it would be but it does pull a little bit at the end of the tail. The "Under the Arm Test" feels really nice under your arm, not bulky or boaty feeling at all.

Looks like a really fun, fast manoeuvrable board.

I'll try to get some shots comparing the CC and UB

Attachment
            Attached Files

Comment

When you say fondled, do you mean purchased???

Originally posted by Fazza View Post
              Fondled up a 5'10 Unibrow last night. Nice board, little bit of volume under chest, nice and refined through nose and tail, definitely narrower in nose and tail compared to the Dominator. The tail is not narrow as the Mini Driver and the MD carries more volume forward than the UB.

Deep single concave from the front of the board all the way to the front of the fins where it splits into a fairly deep double concave the rest of the way out to the tail. The tail is a tad wider than i thought it would be but it does pull a little bit at the end of the tail. The "Under the Arm Test" feels really nice under your arm, not bulky or boaty feeling at all.

Looks like a really fun, fast manoeuvrable board.

I'll try to get some shots comparing the CC and UB

Attachment
              Attached Files

Comment

yes.........

Comment

Haha nice! Ride reports :D

Comment

Will be surfing it tomorrow morning so will give you first impressions after that. It will need to be pretty good to surpass the Chedda as that has been my most favourite fun board eva......hoping it will give me the same joy as the Chedda but in bigger better waves.

Comment

Hey Fazza what fins do you like the best in the CC as I have been riding mine with Future AM2 and I have a mixed feeling about them. Have the same thought as you is it the board or the fins do i sell it and get a Unibrow?

Comment

Thanks Fazza waiting for you review against CC...

Comment

Yeah Fazza, waiting for reports

Comment

yeah comparison to the cc and the razor please...

those pics make the nose look really refined

Comment

Originally posted by nn66 View Post
                              Hey Fazza what fins do you like the best in the CC as I have been riding mine with Future AM2 and I have a mixed feeling about them. Have the same thought as you is it the board or the fins do i sell it and get a Unibrow?
                              nn66

Tried a few fins and settled on the Futures AM1 Blackstix. The give the board great hold and drive and nice release on turns......i am really loving the CC in the smaller to mid-range waves. It can handle a bit bigger if needed or handle bigger waves with fatter takeoffs.

The CC is definitely a keeper....

UB review to follow soon just got to go out urgently and do a few things.
                              Last edited by Fazza; 01-31-2013, 11:36 PM.

Comment

Attachment

Surfed the UniBrow early this morning for about 4 hours....picture above is what it was like as i was leaving.....tried Futures MB3 fins will try a few others over the next few surfs.

First of all this board is fast,fast,fast did i mention how fast it is? If you want a board that takes off the UB is for you....you will make sections you probably wouldn't on other boards.

Didn't feel as easy to paddle as the CC but catches the wave easily, bit of a contradiction i know but thats just what i noticed. It can handle a nice drop or late takeoff and just goes into turbo mode. At first all that speed threw me a bit but i never felt like i was not in control of the board.
                                Feels really nice and smooth going from rail to rail, you can really lay hard into your turns and the board responds immediately. I was a bit tentative at first being a new board with new fins and on my backhand but after an hour or so got into the grove a bit and found myself having a lot of fun.

I think with the slightly pulled in round tail and narrow nose you could surf this into some pretty decent waves and i feel that it can handle the upper wave range better than the CC but the CC is a fantastic board on lower end waves and will definitely stay in my quiver. I had a 508 FST Dominator sometime ago which died and even though the CC is surfed as a longer board i prefer it over the Dom. I have also owned a 5'10 PU Mini Driver which was ok but i didn't really gel with it and was contemplating getting a 6'0 FST MD but when i saw the Unibrow i was sold on it.

I am pretty sold on the UB and actually preferred how it surfed and how i surfed it over the Hellrazor.....i found the Hellrazor a bit of a love hate relationship.

Side by side comparison shot between the CC and UB. UB definitely more pulled in nose than the CC but the CC seems to be slightly more pulled in on the tail until just after the start of the deck grip on the UB.

Attachment

Did i mention how fast the Unibrow is?
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by Fazza; 02-01-2013, 12:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X