Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kdropin. I have fst, amazing durability from all my fst Firewires thus far. I would have bought Technograin if it was available as I think lighter is better in a board targeted at smaller waves. I have an Alt for the bigger stuff. I bought the 6/4 at 37.3 liters, I'm nearly 62 so need extra volume for paddle power but could have even gone 6/6, the board is so responsive. Duck diving would start to be an issue tho at that volume. Pretty sure I'll sell the Hellfire now, was holding out till fully road tested the Unibrow. Really enjoyed it as a Quad with Nubster in quality surf the other day, best of both worlds.

Comment

thanks.. yeah i really like fst's as well.. the techno just looks so sik to pass up.. i just haven't heard about durability too much as they are so new. i'm up in the air about a 5'9 which i'm leaning towards bc i have a potatonator for smaller 1-3ft or a 5'10.. i'm looking as it being my 3-5 ft board in waves that have some push

Comment

Any fin suggestions/ideas/setups yet?

Comment

Just K3's for me so far. I'm about to try out some Kinetik Racing Parko fins.

Comment

I have only had one surf on the UB but loved the SF4 quad set up in waist to chest high waves on it.
            I have loved this set up in the Dom and it felt very familiar in the UB.

Comment

i'd b looking to go with the k2.1s tri.. i hope they will work bc i love those fins.. didn't have enough drive imo on the dom..

Comment

Quad setups apart from the sf4s?

Comment

I have the Unibrow with Futures and I am amazed how good it feels with my go to thruster fins, the EA Blackstix. I almost never ride it as a quad, but I always find enough speed even with just thrusters in. That's what I am riding now, and I find the board riiiiips from thigh high up to over head surf. surfer versatile for me!

Cheers

Comment

Hey Chris,
                    Which fin in the FCS range would you say was most similar to your EA blackstix? Looking forward to testing out my new unibrow as a thruster and wondering what to go with.
                    Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                      I have the Unibrow with Futures and I am amazed how good it feels with my go to thruster fins, the EA Blackstix. I almost never ride it as a quad, but I always find enough speed even with just thrusters in. That's what I am riding now, and I find the board riiiiips from thigh high up to over head surf. surfer versatile for me!

Cheers
                      i was really close to ordering it in futures.... just to try the blackstix.. hope my trusty k2.1s go well in it

Comment

So, i had two surfs on the new Unibrow as a quad yesterday.

Surf 1
                        Head high, very gentle beach break. Winds cross shore to start with then offshore by the end of the session. I would definitely normally take in my Dom in these conditions.
                        I Used H2 scarfini quad fins, which are almost identical to the pc5 quad set.
                        I definitely agree with someone else, can't member who, who said they struggled on the unibrow in choppy conditions. I found I lost the tail on even quite gentle face turns. I am definately going to try bigger side fins in the board if the conditions are choppy/lumpy. However, when the wind switched offshore I got to really test out the board/fin combo. I really enjoyed the stiffness of the PC fins Vs the glass flex of my SF4 (which I tend to prefer in smaller surf in my dom and which I really enjoyed in the unibrow when it was waist to chest high). Despite the gentle nature of the waves I got a huge amount of speed when driving off the fins. I made it around sections more easily than on any other board I have surfed. Compared to the Dom this board does not get up and going nearly as quickly from the take off. However, when you get it going its top speed is definitely faster and rather than getting jittery at higher speeds the unibrow excels. This board is a great step up from the Dom. You can definitely have both. The transition from one to the other is easy and takes no adjustment. In the conditions when I am not sure which one to take in I know that i would have fun on either so no dilemas. I can see, at the same time though, that a better surfer may prefer the unibrow to the Dom as their groveller due to the added performance. For me I love the Dom for my small wave board so the unibrow is perfect for the everyday head high conditions.

Surf 2
                        Just overhead more powerful waves but still crumbly. Same fin set up.
                        Just like the Dom this board drives through cutbacks and carves really smoothly. The difference with the unibrow is that you can turn sharper, harder and faster. On only my third surf on this board I did the best front side roundhouse I have ever done. The board carried its speed all the way through the turn and i hit the lip (more often than not i feel like i reach the end of a roundhouse with no speed and I use the whitewater to redirect me). The waves were not really conducive to reos, off the lips or snaps so I can't comment on how the board would perform beyond carving turns. However, I can say that it excels at these! This was hands down the most exiting surf I have had since I last went travelling. I can't wait to get on it in some more hollow, powerful waves!
                        Last edited by RobinL; 04-11-2013, 03:50 AM.

Comment

Good stuff RobinL,
                          I just got my UB 5'11 cant wait to try it the board looks amazing!! Have you tried the board as a thruster?

Comment

Hey cucuson,
                            Not yet. Was planning to yesterday but feel that the quad works well in softer waves which i have had for each of the three sessions ive had on the UB. I am wondering if it will need a fin with a larger surface area due to the width in the tail? Not back in the water for 5 weeks due to work commitments so looking forward to hearing others experiences on the UB.

Comment

Hey RobinL
                              Ive found that at least on the Dominator bigger fins make the board more responsive, originally I was ridding Dom with wct techflecx which are similar to the kelly 2.1 fins and the board rode really good but when I changed to the am techflex which are bigger fins the board went from a good board to a magic carpet able to link turns flawlessly. I am thinking in the UB should be the same. Let you know when I try it.

Comment

Interesting. Thanks, it would be great to hear how that set up goes.
                                what fcs fin would you compare your am techfins too? Are they the same as the g-am set up?

I have only tried the dom a few times as a thruster (partly because it was my first quad and i loved it) but i did once try it with kinetic racing x4 front fins (similar to pc7's) with a pc5 trailer and it went well. I will definitely test this set up and the K3's when I next get in. I have a feeling the larger x4 template may be too much surface area for me and make it track a little.

Comment

Working...
                                X