Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

am's are the same as the am-2s in fcs.. i think

Comment

So quite similar to the k3. Cheers kdropin.
      I see you signature says you have a unibrow on the way, when's it due to arrive?
      Absolutely loving mine. It's that dream daily driver I've been looking for for years.

Comment

Originally posted by RobinL View Post
        So quite similar to the k3. Cheers kdropin.
        I see you signature says you have a unibrow on the way, when's it due to arrive?
        Absolutely loving mine. It's that dream daily driver I've been looking for for years.
        in about 5 hours give or take.. i'm stoked

Comment

yewwww

Comment

Hi all Unibrothers, really enjoyed my last 3 surfs with Shapers Quad E [large] fins and a diy knubster. Best of both worlds and still super easy to get it vertical. In Bali next Saturday; Nusa Lembongan from tues to sat 27th. Starting with a small swell then building----perfect. Left Hellfire and Alternator at home to avoid Jetstar baggage hassels so will just have to test the limits of the Unibrow in perfect, uncrowded, tropical screamers[ well maybe not the uncrowded bit!] Not sure it will be ideal in full on barrel situations but pretty confident it will be super fun in the usual indo stuff. Can't remember when I last took just one board on a surf trip but I'm really liking this one. Report back soon

Comment

Amazing piha! V jealous. I was there two years ago. Have you been before?
              I'm definitely going to try the knubser in the UB didn't like it in the Dom but its waiting to be tried out again.

Comment

Hi RobinL, yep, this is my 4th visit to Nusa Lembongan, 8th or so to Bali. I think the knubster just adds feedback and centering during turns when a wider tailed Quad is transitioning between fins from one side of the board to the other. Makes the crazy speed you can attain feel "safer" and hence increases your confidence in the board.

Comment

According to the volume calculator I should be on a board between 30-33lt, I wonder if it would be a mistake to go for a 6' 0 Unibrow for the extra foam given most of my boards are about 30lts? The idea is to get a decent all round board and a good traveller with a bit more paddle power. The concern is if I get the 6' 0 UB will it be too much of a fun board feel? That's what happened on my first Dom, went 6' 0, sold it and cut 4 inches off it...

Thoughts?

Comment

You'll know what volume is good for you. Go with whatever works for you. My UB is the same length as my Dom with my Dom being slightly over volumed and the UB perfect. The slight over volume means the Dom has virtually no bottom end.

Comment

Originally posted by buzzy View Post
                      You'll know what volume is good for you. Go with whatever works for you. My UB is the same length as my Dom with my Dom being slightly over volumed and the UB perfect. The slight over volume means the Dom has virtually no bottom end.
                      Good point about knowing your own volume. I think my ideal volume is actually a 5 11, which sits between the 5 10 & 6 00 models that are available in shops here...d'oh!

Comment

Most of my board are 33l. I test rode the 510 and it surfed brilliantly. However, I went for the 60 because I wanted it to grovel well and also because I don't get in the water much. I think it depends what you want it for and how good a paddler you are.

Comment

Wise words from buzzy. I also think the 511 would be good for you if you want it to paddle well and your usual boards are 30l. i also found the 60 Dom too big so went for a 510 Dom. If they had had the 511 UB on the shelf I would probably have gone for it.

Comment

Originally posted by RobinL View Post
                            Wise words from buzzy. I also think the 511 would be good for you if you want it to paddle well and your usual boards are 30l. i also found the 60 Dom too big so went for a 510 Dom. If they had had the 511 UB on the shelf I would probably have gone for it.
                            What do the rails feel like on the 600? Are they quite full? Think I'm going to have to slog it over to one of the shops and have a look at them more closely. It's pretty hard to tell on the web.

The best benchmark I have is Sam Lamiroy (uses 511) who seems to have the same Dom & HZ as I do.

Comment

I uploaded some pics earlier in the post that show the rails. No substitute for feeling them though. There wasn't much difference between the 510 and the 60 in the rails to touch, maybe a little thicker in the tail. However, they feel less responsive to surf. I think because the board is sitting on the water more than in it this has a greater impact than I expected.

Comment

So here's my take on first surf of uni 5'11 w am2 techflex trifin set up. Chest to headhigh 75-100 yrd rides reef in semi-clean surf. The Uni paddles great cought any wave I wanted , at one point I had to slow down as the boys in the water where giving me the stink eye cause I was catching so many waves. Quik get up and go and very responsive in turns ,does S turns with ease very solid top turns & sooo fast I was making sections that a lot of the other boyz wherent making. Cant wait to try it in overhead surf. Very solid and fast board!!! Im in love!!!
                                Last edited by cucuson; 04-21-2013, 08:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X