Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buzzy
    replied
    Ok, I picked up the Unibrow this morning. 6'4" x 20.25" x 2.75" with me @90kg give or take. The waves were 3-5 foot today with Bondi *just* handling it. Definitely a Q5 day. Anyway, it was after my surf I picked up the new board.

Tail pad is now whacked on, leggy attached, fins in (starting with K3's) - the board may get a run depending on conditions tomorrow.

The board itself looks great. Very organic albeit with a big concave and a thick centre. In an ideal world i'd maybe prefer a touch extra width and a touch less thickness but that's just on feel - i havent surfed it yet. I just have a strong inkling it'll suit my style.

Leave a comment:

• RobinL
    replied
    Wow. Glowing praise.
    I was almost dead set on getting a CC 61 or Sub 60 but now rethinking the 60 unibrow to set between my dom and maybe a mindriver to replace my alt.

Leave a comment:

• jarendell
    replied
    I had another session where the waves were in the head high range and the faces were smooth. Again no other board I've been on comes close to the performance I'm getting out of the UB.The speed is instantaneous and directional changes both lateral and horizonal are effortless.I started out surfing before short boards and have been through every faze since the early 60's and this is the first surfboard in years that has me frothing for the next pulse from the ocean.I realise that different styles and ability definitely have a bearing on what works but for me the UB is the latest and greatest for our North Florida surf.My wife is also happy since getting the board in the water she has a place to sleep in the bed.

Leave a comment:

• Piha Local
    replied
    3rd surf on the Unibrow today, soft, ill-defined, random 2 footers. Bit of a lottery, but 3 people commented on the board's performance. Previous last surf, local teenage hotshot who competes on Aussie/Kiwi circuit commented on the speed I was getting out of the board. When punters bother to express these kinds of opinions to a 61yr old has-been, you gotta realise the board has got something going for it. Pulled a couple of turns today that would NOT have happened with my Hellfire [and I loved that board]. For me at this early stage, I rate it an improvement over the Hellfire, at least for my style of surfing. Timmy Reyes apparently rates it too, [Chris]. The Nor-Cal waves he was surfing look really compromised with swell/chop coming from random directions, I suspect the Hellfire would like those conditions even less than the Unibrow. His board did look a little large for someone of his calibre, maybe a concession to the conditions to try and smooth out the energy?

Leave a comment:

• luismx
    replied
    After seeing that video of Timy, the hellfire seems to be pulling ahead in the race... Unless someone can convince me otherwise:D

Leave a comment:

• buzzy
    replied
    Originally posted by Goanna View Post
    Hey Buzzy, have you got the UB yet? or are you picking it up on Saturday?
    either way it looks like it will be solid and favourable winds on Saturday - hope it goes well for you and we expect a full report ASAP!
    Saturday will be the day. I'll likely collect it after my morning surf and in any event Saturday's forecast looks like a Q5 day. Indeed, I'll need to whack on a tail pad. So Sunday is likely to be the earliest test, with a forecast I think for a dropping swell. I can't wait.

Sadly this will mean that the Alternator will find a new home. It's a great board but one size up from what I need at my current weight and fitness.

Leave a comment:

• Slowman
    replied
    Shot around Santa Cruz north and south of the boardwalk. It does seem like he have some hold issues on slightly bigger waves...I'm sure with some fin experimentation he'd get it sorted.

Leave a comment:

• Goanna
    replied
    Originally posted by buzzy View Post
    I 100% agree it looked better on the smaller waves.

I'm looking for a board for the small/medium end of the spectrum. I'm totally loving the Q5 for good waves and the Dom is such a good board for chest high and below. The Unibrow looks like it'll slot in perfectly. So much speed in that video, lots due to Timmy but a lot looked like natural board speed.

Bring on Saturday!
    Hey Buzzy, have you got the UB yet? or are you picking it up on Saturday?
    either way it looks like it will be solid and favourable winds on Saturday - hope it goes well for you and we expect a full report ASAP!

Leave a comment:

• buzzy
    replied
    I 100% agree it looked better on the smaller waves.

I'm looking for a board for the small/medium end of the spectrum. I'm totally loving the Q5 for good waves and the Dom is such a good board for chest high and below. The Unibrow looks like it'll slot in perfectly. So much speed in that video, lots due to Timmy but a lot looked like natural board speed.

Bring on Saturday!

Leave a comment:

• Phill
    replied
    Yeah I think it looked better on the smaller stuff. Really squirty through turns. The video showed it can handle a good range of waves though even if they aren't the optimum conditions.

Leave a comment:

• Goanna
    replied
    I just watched the Timmy Reyes video on the Firewire site riding the Unibrow.
    I gotta say that it looked a little "Hybrid" or "fun shape" to me in the way it rode for him.
    It almost looked to big for him and he had to nurse it a little - apart from the airs of course!
    Just my opinion of course and I did like how easily he got speed up in slowish waves.

Leave a comment:

• luismx
    replied

Ill be waiting for your further reports ;)

Leave a comment:

• Piha Local
    replied
    Hi luismx, A bit hard to say at the moment as I really have only had a few waves on it. The width 12 inches up from the tail is approx 1/2 inch wider than the H/f but it actually feels narrower as it rapidly loses area from then on relative to the straighter rail line of the Hellfire. I think maybe that the Unibrow will go vertically up into the lip a little easier than the Hellfire but the Hellfire will be able to draw longer, harder turns in more powerful surf. You would not want both boards tho as they sit in the same space wave range wise.

Leave a comment:

• luismx
    replied
    Hey piha! What would say is more highperformance? Im in the debate between a 6.4 HF and a 6.4 UB but dont know what to get....currently riding a 6.4 dom which is going to be my small wave board.

Leave a comment:

• Piha Local
    replied
    Hi Buzzy, 6/4 for me too, concession to my nearly 62 yrs of paddle wear-and-tear. 40yr old friend at same weight [82kgs] has just bought the 6/1. 3 or 4 days of good surf coming up so will report back on any further discoveries.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X