X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unibrow critique

Here is my unbiased assesment of the new Unibrow.First I'm 62 with >50 years in the water.5'10",170lbs and in good shape thanks to a friend Sal Ropero that owns an intense fittness center that caters to our local surfing community(Gabe Kling etc.)Recieved a 5'9" from Blue Sky Surf Shop and I've been using a Futures Stretch quad setup.Waves have been from chest to just over head with some surface wind to cut it up.The board paddles well into the line up and is easy to push under despite being 2.4" thick.Catching waves by paddling or by the quick tail push down is easier than any other board I've used its size.Comming down the face even in steep conditions was smooth and consistant.Turns both frontside and backside were sharp and had no problems pushing it on rail.Off the tops were square and cutbacks were effortless. Most impressive however is the instant and sustained speed.All together I feel this is another stellar Firewire/Dan Mann collaberation and highly recommend it to any one thinking of taking the plunge.

Unbiased? Sounds like you love it!

Comment

someones got a crush! ;)

Comment

I started out unbiased but now its crack.Another session this AM which was waist to chest shore break.The advantage of instant speed is allowing me to make sections that I'd be behind on my other boards.Other boards are a5'2"SP and a 5'10"MD each of which still have a time and place.

Comment

How does it compare to the MD?

Comment

Just christened the first Unibrow in the water in NZ. Only a couple of waves but easy to love. Smooth and predictable but snappy when you need it to be, like a Dominator on steroids. Noticeably more refined than the Hellfire in the rails and tail with it's volume concentrated down the centre line and in the chest area. The more even nose rocker and more pronounced tail flick contributes to a smoother entry and exit from turns. The less pronounced double concaves compared with the Hellfire smooth everything out as well and eliminate some of the surprises I would get every now and then from the H/F. Very fast from the take-off with a beautiful feel taking the drop, due I think to the progressive outline curve from nose to tail.

Comment

Woohoo. What size did you get Piha?

I'll be buying mine Saturday, stock availability permitting. 6'4" for me @90kg and 47 yoa. I'm sure I could get by on the 6'2" but I'd like the extra width on the 6'4" to give it more bottom end range.

Comment

Hi Buzzy, 6/4 for me too, concession to my nearly 62 yrs of paddle wear-and-tear. 40yr old friend at same weight [82kgs] has just bought the 6/1. 3 or 4 days of good surf coming up so will report back on any further discoveries.

Comment

Hey piha! What would say is more highperformance? Im in the debate between a 6.4 HF and a 6.4 UB but dont know what to get....currently riding a 6.4 dom which is going to be my small wave board.

Comment

Hi luismx, A bit hard to say at the moment as I really have only had a few waves on it. The width 12 inches up from the tail is approx 1/2 inch wider than the H/f but it actually feels narrower as it rapidly loses area from then on relative to the straighter rail line of the Hellfire. I think maybe that the Unibrow will go vertically up into the lip a little easier than the Hellfire but the Hellfire will be able to draw longer, harder turns in more powerful surf. You would not want both boards tho as they sit in the same space wave range wise.

Comment

Ill be waiting for your further reports ;)

Comment

I just watched the Timmy Reyes video on the Firewire site riding the Unibrow.
                        I gotta say that it looked a little "Hybrid" or "fun shape" to me in the way it rode for him.
                        It almost looked to big for him and he had to nurse it a little - apart from the airs of course!
                        Just my opinion of course and I did like how easily he got speed up in slowish waves.

Comment

Yeah I think it looked better on the smaller stuff. Really squirty through turns. The video showed it can handle a good range of waves though even if they aren't the optimum conditions.

Comment

I 100% agree it looked better on the smaller waves.

I'm looking for a board for the small/medium end of the spectrum. I'm totally loving the Q5 for good waves and the Dom is such a good board for chest high and below. The Unibrow looks like it'll slot in perfectly. So much speed in that video, lots due to Timmy but a lot looked like natural board speed.

Bring on Saturday!

Comment

Originally posted by buzzy View Post
                              I 100% agree it looked better on the smaller waves.

I'm looking for a board for the small/medium end of the spectrum. I'm totally loving the Q5 for good waves and the Dom is such a good board for chest high and below. The Unibrow looks like it'll slot in perfectly. So much speed in that video, lots due to Timmy but a lot looked like natural board speed.

Bring on Saturday!
                              Hey Buzzy, have you got the UB yet? or are you picking it up on Saturday?
                              either way it looks like it will be solid and favourable winds on Saturday - hope it goes well for you and we expect a full report ASAP!

Comment

Working...
                              X