Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i luv the VG. i'll ride it from waist high to a solid 4' Hayn. its funny cause w my longboarding background, i know all the guys. i dont get snubbed out of waves at all. i just sit w them and rotate waves. the day u saw me the ADD is cause i only had an 1 1/2 to surf. during the summer i do 2 sessions a day and probably hit the morn w the VG and cruise the ADD by mid-day. nobody better than to sit outside w than Wes right? shud join us. 2 VG surfers, a longboarder here and there, we set a perimeter and catch waves all day. dont laugh. its pretty much what we do.

Comment

That is such a great routine!! I wish I could be there with you. FokaiHI, do you work? Have a family? What allows you to live the dream?

Comment

Myles808, Thanks for the great post as that pretty much is the most thorough board review I have ever read. Thanks for doing that as I am always looking to get a new firewire.

Comment

Originally posted by hwork50 View Post
          That is such a great routine!! I wish I could be there with you. FokaiHI, do you work? Have a family? What allows you to live the dream?
          imm not goin to lie. married w 5 kids from 18mos-19yrs. own a lil private business that allows me to do what i like, except travel. plus my wife is super cool about my surfing, as long as i wait 6 weeks in-between buying boards. lol

Comment

Originally posted by fokaiHI View Post
            i luv the VG. i'll ride it from waist high to a solid 4' Hayn. its funny cause w my longboarding background, i know all the guys. i dont get snubbed out of waves at all. i just sit w them and rotate waves. the day u saw me the ADD is cause i only had an 1 1/2 to surf. during the summer i do 2 sessions a day and probably hit the morn w the VG and cruise the ADD by mid-day. nobody better than to sit outside w than Wes right? shud join us. 2 VG surfers, a longboarder here and there, we set a perimeter and catch waves all day. dont laugh. its pretty much what we do.
            Yeah Fokai you guys got the main peaks on lock-down out there. I've had some of my longest rides there, and when I do paddle out I always say to the boys, "Thanks for giving me a one-day pass to surf your spot!" (HAH!) Even tho my "home spot" is across the channel I always get the Aloha treatment when I paddle across (if my spot's not working). It's funny when I paddle out the crew always looks at me and sez, "Eh, what U doing out hea?" That would be classic to have a VG contingent out - actually the majority of my sessions on the VG have been at your spot.

I've been surfing across the channel since '76! Wes used to surf out there too, but I think the competition got to stiff for his taste. Honestly I've been challenged to surf the VG at my break because the wave "jacks up" faster on the reef - the Uni and my boards with pulled-in noses handle it better. I've found on several occasions where I'm late, I fall back onto my outside (shoreward) rail, causing me to be late when I finally hit my bottom turn. I should take you up on your offer and take notes so I can get the VG better dialed.

Thanks for the offer Fokai!

Comment

Originally posted by hwork50 View Post
              Myles808, Thanks for the great post as that pretty much is the most thorough board review I have ever read. Thanks for doing that as I am always looking to get a new firewire.
              You're welcome HWORK...I always appreciate it when another FW member relates their experience(s) so I can compare it to my own or (as in your case) make a better/more informed decision. Firewires are worth the $$$, but they aren't cheap. You wanna feel good when you put down your hard earned dineros.

Comment

picked up mine today at lunch (missed the delivery on friday) looks like an awesome shape.. feeling it

Comment

Originally posted by kdropin View Post
                  picked up mine today at lunch (missed the delivery on friday) looks like an awesome shape.. feeling it
                  Oooohhh! Sweet ecstacy Kdropin!

Comment

So here's my take on my first surf Uni 5'11 w am2 techflex tri fin set up. Chest to head high 75-100 yrd rides reef in semi-clean surf. The Uni paddles great, caught any wave I wanted , at one point I had to slow down my count as the boyz where giving me the stink eye cause I was catching so many waves. Quick get up & go and very responsive in turns, does s turns with ease and very solid controlled top turns & soo fast. I was making sections that a lot of the boyz weren't making. Cant wait to try it in overhead surf. Very solid and fast board!! I'm in love , nothing better than good feedback on the first surf. Keep you posted on new sessions!!

Comment

Could anyone shed light on when timbertek unibrows will be available in oz.I did read somewhere that they would be available in the second quarter of this year.Chasing a 5' 10." Thanks in advance.

Comment

I spoke with the Aus Firewire rep recently and he said end of May start of June.

Comment

Originally posted by kdropin View Post
                          Kdropin, how do you like your unibrow? I am a little surprised that you went 5'10" and and not 5'9" but a little extra foam can't hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by meekthefreak View Post
                            Kdropin, how do you like your unibrow? I am a little surprised that you went 5'10" and and not 5'9" but a little extra foam can't hurt.
                            haven't ridden it yet.. having a run of swell here now but with work and bad tide schedule won't b able to get any of it.. anyways i went with the 5'10 bc it seems everyone is going two inches bigger then their dominator's.. i lost a bunch of weight bc of a shitty injury that will hopefully get fixed this summer and will most likely get back to my 170ish weight.. i also surf the north east= weak period and more rubber .. feeling it up doesn't feel like its a ton of foam. very refined towards the tail.. when doing a ton of board compares i liked how the 5'6 potatonator lines up with the 5'10 uni.. similiar but different enough for better conditions using the unibrow.. i could ride it at 5'10 and always size down if needed i guess.. we'll see

Comment

Apologies for hijacking the thread but cant seem to find a Unibrow category on the forum.
                              I would like to buy a Unibrow but unsure of which size to get. Its a toss up between a 5'11 and 6'0. I have a 6'2 Stealth which is plenty of volume for me.
                              I am 185cm (just over 6'0) and 84kg dry. 38 years old and stay fit. I love the stealth but sometimes feel that it is a bit too thick and heavy especially in FST. As a "one board quiver" from 2-6 ft the stealth has been brilliant, especially as a quad. My concern is that the Unibrow (6') is even thicker in the midsection albeit more tapered at the nose and tail. Does anyone with a Uni and with similar stats as myself have comment on if the board feels too thick and heavy as a 6' ?
                              thanks

Comment

Hey moolie,
                                I've had the 62 stealth for about a year and just bought the 60 unibrow to replace it. I found the stealth had more float both to paddle and when up and riding. I loved the way it surfed but i aways felt that it had a bit too much float and stability. The lower surface area of the unibrow and slightly lower volume rails in the tail make it feel smaller when I'm up and riding.

Comment

Working...
                                X