X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• more release

Dan - I've been riding a Dominator for about 4 months now and I'm really impressed with the board. One thing I'd like more of is release. At the moment of take-off I could use a bit more get-up and go, so I'm thinking the Spitfire, with it's wider tailblock, would be the ticket. I'd try one myself to find out for sure but I'm in a remote area with no opportunity to demo. Thoughts ?

What fins are you using? Board size? Your height/weight?

Comment

quad - front fins m-5 fiberglass, rear fins fcs prototype similiar to YU's fiberglass. Riding a 6' Dominator - I'm 5'8' 150 lbs - older guy surfing on a regular basis for a looong time.

Comment

• Phill
        Phill commented
        Editing a comment
        We'll you could def play with fins to tune it up for more drive/release. What foil is on those quad rears?

The spitfire would push you in the right direction. The straighter rail line off the tail and wider tail block area will get you what you're looking for, plus the step rail in the tail will no doubt help with managing all that volume at your weight.

If you're looking to replace the board I think the Spitfire or even the Hellfire are good picks, but if you'd rather spend less, tweaking fins would help get your current board closer. Maybe try the k2.1 quad set.

Hey retired1 :)

Not sure if you're in a similar scenario to me. I've been surfing in South Africa since I was 13, being 43 now... that's a lot of shortboard thrusters through decades of board design change. I have never surfed a board longer than 6'3 being 80-85kgs. I changed to firewire about a year ago and bought a 5'6 Potatonator and 5'11 LSD (Chubby Chedda). To cut a long story short :)

Things I had problems with:
      1. Future Fins (Out of the 5 sets of fins I owned I had to have 4 sets replaced - due to fins being twisted or different cambers)
      anyway I believe this had something to with a Thailand factory which apparently is now sorted, check them (although yours fcs) as my mulcoys felt like somebody dropped an anchor out the back everytime I got to my feet.
      2. This could quite possibly help :)
      On takeoff, I was used to applying a lot of front foot pressure as my backfoot would play more of a guiding roll, this use to always work on my pu boards and I could get a lot of squirt on takeoff, once I was upto speed, I would naturally centre my weight before weighting and unweighting for turns. (it was just drive on takeoff)

Since moving to firewires (well to the 2 boards mentioned above) I have found I was lagging on takeoff and at times was embarrassing...
      I was advised (on this forum) to apply a little more pressure on the backfoot (between the fins) on takeoff and although it felt a bit awkward at start it has actually changed the way I ride my pu boards for the better :) Sorry for the essay... hope something here helps :)

Comment

Hey - Phil & Phill - thanks for the replys - my rear fins are flat foiled inside. I'll play with the pressure on the back foot and see if it helps. If I take off at an angle on a steeper face I'm ok as the fins grab earlier and get me going. It's taking off straight where I would like a little more get up and go. I'm searching for a Spitfire now to see if it does the trick. Gotta say though the Dominator is one helluva board. Thanks.

Comment

I'm not sure when you say "release" whether you want the board to slide a little on turn completion or you want more drive. I have the feeling you want more drive. Bigger fins with more rake should give you that. Try the GAM fronts with QPX rears. Or go thruster. If you do mean release try the PC5 or similar.

Comment

Release meaning moving forward faster, get up and go - more speed at take-off - not more slide, drive or loseness - thanks.

Comment

• Phill
              Phill commented
              Editing a comment
              Forget the k2.1 in that case.
              Bigger raked fins or just getting your weighting right off the take off and a good pump.

I meant to add by the way the right fins in the Dom will be much more likely to resolve the drive issue in the Dom than getting a Spit. A Spit with the same fins will give much the same result. I'm a bigger guy on a 6'4" Dom and after using PC7's and GAM's I ended up really liking the K3's. They're a touch smaller than the first two fins but offer lots of drive. Because they're a touch smaller they're also looser. As a fully fledged Aussie bogan (just kidding) who has seen Kelly rip numerous world titles from the hands of deserving Aussie champs it pains me to say I like his fins, but I do.

Comment

Buzzy - not talking about a drive issue - some boards let go of water faster than others and as a result are faster sliding into waves - this is before one even jumps up. My experience is wider tail boards will do this faster than round tails. But thanks for your info on the fins.

Comment

• Phill
                Phill commented
                Editing a comment
                Get a vanguard or nano!
            Working...
            X