X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seabass View Post
    What's a "vanguard" and the "brow" or the next spit/dom board coming out? Need a new replacement grovel board.
    http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/su...ardid=vanguard

http://youtu.be/FB9SgPy9Fbc

Comment

Hey Seabass,

The vanguard is a modern shape, as you have seen, put together by Daniel Thomson of Tomo surfboards. it has a unique approach to HP surfboard design.

The Unibrow is most easily described as a stretched out Dominator with a higher performance foil, a nice mellow but ripping double concave and a more shortboard like nose. Rips.

The Chubby Chedda is a Luke Short Design that is kind of a small wave short board with a forward wide point. Another small wave ripper, a little more of a conventional shortboard ride.

I think they all have comparable versatility and should be considered in thigh to overhead surf....

Cheers

Comment

i'd like to see a pic of the uni

Comment

Chris do you think a 6'6" CC would handle the same upper end wave size as a HF 6'6" as I have had my 6'6" HF is pretty much close to double overhead 12ft faces, only problem is the slight lack of volume paddling in and that's why I like the slightly extra volume of the CC 6'6" and hope it will handle larger waves, I have a problem going any bigger than a 6'6" on a step up board. Also interested to see and find out more about the Unibrow.

Comment

Sorry about the vanguard question i had seen in for some reason didn't recognise the name....to many ales..... thanks for the feed back and vid. yeah a picture of the Unibrow would be great...

Comment

I think its one of these.

Comment

Classic.......

Comment

Originally posted by Erling View Post
                  Is it just me or is the foil image of the Chubby Chedda looking a bit strange? Seems like all of the other boards are rotated so that the top deck is about horizontal, but on the CC the board is tilted a lot forward, making it look like it's got a lot of tail-rocker an very little nose-rocker:

Attachment
                  You weren't the only one, I noticed that too...the deck isn't horizontal you can tell by the rows of checks they aren't parallel to the deck like they are for the others. Actually the EF looks like it is out too but the other way a tad.

Pretty hard to compare rockers and foils anyway...the board compare function only does it for some models. It moves them together and overlaps them so you can better see the differences.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hellfire 5'10 or Chubby Chedda 5'11? I'm 80kg and 34 years old. Got an 6'0 alternator for good waves and want a dumpster diver type board for small-meduim waves. When we gonna see some C.C's for sale in Oz? I surf pretty good and surf good waves around the South Coast. Had a Spitfire but hated it but had a go on the Hellfire and liked it, so wondering how the C.C would compare?

Comment

hey Paul,

Compared to the hellfire, the CHubby Chedda rides a bit flatter and is more front footed. The hellfire really likes to be ridden off the back foot. The CC will give you more of that dumpster diver style ride so maybe that would be the board for you, but there are so many people who love the Hellfire. I am wondering if because you liked the hellfire, it might actually be the one to go with as the two ride so differently....

Cheers

Comment

When will the chubby ched be available in US / San Diego? I've sold my dom. cause the tail is too thick, and am on the verge of buying an HF but this thing (CC) looks insane!

Comment

Cheers Chris

For knee to slightly overhead Trestles type waves, I'm guessing the C.C over the Hellfire? Will an extra 1.4 litres of volume make all that much difference?

Cheers Paul

Comment

Hey Paul,
                            that added volume will really impact you in a way that reflects how close you are to either the low or high part of your optimum volume range. If you are already up close to the top, 1.4 could push it over the edge.

If however you are looking close to the bottom, the added 1.4L might make the board perfect.

I think if you are happy with the 600 Alternator, you should be targeting the 510 and looking to maybe consider the 509 or 511. I ride the 600 Alternator and I personally wouldn't go any bigger than the 510..

Cheers and hope this helps.

Comment

Just got my ched in and surfed it in head-highish reef mix anywhere from slow backed off, to steeper racy surf. Board paddles great. Got into waves easy. Tail rocker pleased me on some super late drops. So far only used wct fins and not really a fan. A little too much pivot for the waves I was surfing but they could do the trick on smaller beach days. This thing is really quick and gets around sections with ease. More updates to come, but really stoked so far!! This one could definitely be a quiver killer.

I'm 6'3 175-180lbs. Got the 6'1 and it feels perfect

Comment

Had a few surfs on my 6'6" Chubby in various right hand point break conditions from 2-4ft, goes extremely well on fast suckier waves turns really well did find it to be slower than my BP 5'11" however that was expected and it's my first thruster for 5 years. I replaced my Hellfire 6'6" and Spitfire 6'4" with this board and I have no regrets the transition my my BP to the CC is only about two waves which is perfect.
                                Rode it with Future AM2 Techflex felt nice.
                                Last edited by nn66; 12-25-2012, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X