X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by daveo View Post
    Just got my ched in and surfed it in head-highish reef mix anywhere from slow backed off, to steeper racy surf. Board paddles great. Got into waves easy. Tail rocker pleased me on some super late drops. So far only used wct fins and not really a fan. A little too much pivot for the waves I was surfing but they could do the trick on smaller beach days. This thing is really quick and gets around sections with ease. More updates to come, but really stoked so far!! This one could definitely be a quiver killer.

I'm 6'3 175-180lbs. Got the 6'1 and it feels perfect
    Daveo,

Good to hear...i have been surfing my 5'11 Chubby the last month and absolutely love it. Has a really nice feel to it on the waves, paddles extremely well. Been surfing mine above hip high to head and half without a problem.

I experimented with fins for a few surfs and tried, WCT's - ok but didn't like them, Clay Marzo CM2's - too stiff, V2 460 - too stiff, Future AM1 Blackstix - Perfect

Really like how the board paddles into waves, has nice run and turns like a short board.

Comment

Fazza, thank you! Really helps me narrow down my fin selection. I'll be trying the am1 blackies next. I was thinking am1, cm2, or yu.. would love to hear anyone's input on the YU's.

I haven't surfed futures in a few years, so I'm back to the demo tree. For reference, the soar DM was my fav on the dominator.

As you said. The Chubby paddles great and was still getting me into some backed off reef surf the other day and has enough rocker to handle the tight pockets and late drops well. Great control on the larger waves too. I was a bit concerned with the thickness of this board but I have experienced nothing but positives from it. Much more high performance than the dom I sold to get this beaut. Tighter turning arcs and heaps of spray. Climbs the face really well and no forward rail dig like the dom on steep hacks. I think you nailed the optimal range, waist to maybe DOH. I'd rather have a fish or hybrid on gutless, fat days, but the ched is definitely a daily driver for decent surf with short board performance and good paddle power. And everyone loves being able to take off a few inches in board length.

6'3. 175. 6'1 chubby

Had 6'0 dominator> great board, maybe a bit too much volume for me, wanted higher performance.

Comment

Maaan I want a Ched... Too many boards :(

Comment

You can never have too many boards Prj.....

Comment

My sig takes up too much room as it is!

Comment

yeah i want one too!

fazza compare the hellrazor to the chedda! from paddle to performance to grovelability thx

Comment

Originally posted by kdropin View Post
                yeah i want one too!

fazza compare the hellrazor to the chedda! from paddle to performance to grovelability thx
                The 506 PNator always gives me that nice stoke feeling after surfing it, the CC does exactly the same thing.

I liked the Hellrazor but found it a bit hit and miss, the CC to me definitely feels like a smoother ride and i feel like i can really push it more compared to the HZ....may be thats just me.

The CC definitely handles smaller waves better than the HZ and i think can hold its own in bigger stuff. The HZ would probably handle a suckier take off better but the CC is not far behind and depending on your ability that may not bother you.

I am finding that it paddles better than the HZ and for me i can turn it better on either my forehand or back hand it feels great, nice control and really smooth to turn.

The CC has a low entry rocker which will help getting into waves early, gives it nice run and speed, has a really nice tail kick, single concave with a double through the fins and a bit of V in the tail. I have surfed it in some cross shore and onshore mush and was still fun.

I was looking for aboard to surf small to overhead + waves that was fun to surf, easy to turn and the CC has been giving me that.

Comment

thanks man sounds good... yeah the razor for me has been magic.. has gone off every time i've ridden it.. but for me the only thing that bothers me a lil is the length.. i like riding a shorter board.. i'm in no position to buy a new board but the chedda sounds fun

Comment

I agree and like it being shorter......could have gone slightly smaller

Comment

I had the impression the CC was ingended aa a knee to head high board, but most posts seem to be talking about it as effectively a standard shortboard good for waist to double overhead. I shouldn't view it as a board which fits the same range as the Dom/Spit (but more refined)?

Comment

I reckon if you're a shorter/heavier guy riding one longer than your height it makes a difference. For me at 6'0 and looking at a 509/510 it's going to feel too short in the big stuff I reckon.
                        The low nose rocker would be another limiting factor but I don't know how flat it actually is. The Mini Driver was described as low nose but for me it has a decent amount.

Comment

Buzzy, the CC is definitely different to the Dom however has similar characteristics as the SF, I do think the CC will handle a larger wave range than the SF I have only ridden mine up to4ft and feels like it will handle a lot more.The thing about the CC is the volume of my 6'6" V's My old SF 6'4" is a fraction lower and you can feel it does not float as well however it does catch waves easily. If you are used to a thruster the CC is nice however if you are used to a quad it's a bit of a transition however not to bad probably 2-6 waves. I did go back to my BP 5'11" today and what a board in under 3ft it almost like cheating it's that easy to ride, the amount of waves you catch and the board rips perfect for the summer crowd. If you want a two board quiver get a BP and CC and you are sorted for anything from 6 inches to 7ft.

Comment

Would I be correct in saying that the CC would have the most tail rocker in the FW range
                            That kick looks like the old Taj

Comment

Originally posted by Wandi View Post
                              Would I be correct in saying that the CC would have the most tail rocker in the FW range
                              That kick looks like the old Taj
                              I'll have to check it against a mates old Taj and also against the Bourez and see.......does have a decent tail kick for sure.

Comment

I think tail kick is too much but the MB or Taj evenly distributed rocker must be more.You can see that also against JK just check Fazza photos.
                                http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/f/...ns-(LSD)/page2

Comment

Working...
                                X