Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keeping an eye on this one. It has the volume of my beloved 6'4" Futura with a shorter rail line and slightly narrower nose.

Comment

Any ride reports on this one?

Comment

Could someone from Firewire Europe, confirm that a 5,6" is coming for December? I have ordered one in my local surf shop, but they cannot confirm it. Thank you in advanced.

Comment

I just picked up my new 6'4" pile driver (me @90kg). I've already been for a surf today and it's only 1 foot, so it'll have to wait until tomorrow. I pulled the fins and grub screws out of my 6'4" Futura (which I hardly surf, just a tiny bit too little volume) to stick in the PD. I doing so I laid the tail of the Futura over the PD. Even with the double bump the PD seems to carry much the same width in the tail as the PD. But the PD is a slightly wider board. It definitely carries more volume (that's a good thing for me). I haven't looked at the full profile of each board next to each other, but the Futura has a bit more nose rocker I think. Certainly more "refined" overall, but as I say I wanted more chunk. It is a fairly dramatic reduction in tail width with the double bump. My poor old Dom is in a constant state of repair so the PD is intended to replace it in the quiver. I may reinvest in a new Dom come winter when I move to a full wettie etc but I'm hoping the current repair on it is the last.

Comment

First report after two surfs in tiny knee to waist high waves. At the low end it goes great. It surfs less "flat" than a Futura at the same length. It is looser and more precise than a Dom at the same length. It's bottom end in terms of wave size is probably not as low as a same length Dom, but it's close. Anyone surfing Sydney the last week will know it's been about as small as it gets. I've had some fun on the PD in these conditions. It does have more tail rocker than a Dom which has seen me have fins drift out on bottom turns unless my back foot is right back, but I'm super happy with the board. It does have way more bottom end than a same length UB - it has a touch more volume and a lot more width. I'll report more after using it in bigger waves but it seems clear this board is a great small to medium wave machine .

Comment

Thanks for the report buzzy I sure am a bit pissed i didn't wait for the pile driver to be released in Aust I will be interested to hear how you feel the middle and top end compares to the unibrow. If you surf forecast is any thing like ours you should be able to tell this weekend the cyclone out at sea is pushing swell in its a nice steady head high at the moment and expecting 6 to 8 foot by sunday with a 14 second period Sydney should get some of that to

Comment

Used the PD today I a building swell. It was probably 3 foot (head high to a touch over) with a long period. The board was fine but given the waves packed some punch I'd probably have been better on a more refined board. It was all good though. I'm confident it would be absolutely fine in a more average 3 foot swell. I suspect around that 2 foot mark (waist to shoulder high) is probably this board's sweet spot.

Comment

Just tried to order a Pile Driver from my local in Sydney and next shipping in July!? I had all that cold hard cash ready in my grubby hands. It's months to wait. Anyone know about production delays?

Comment

Have you tried Surfculture at Bondi?

Comment

Any more reviews out there? Thinking about picking one up.

Comment

drum bull its not production delays at all. if people don't order it, then it doesn't make it to shops unfortunately. our inventories are typically driven by a combination of orders and demands so if you are being quoted that time frame its likely just stocked out and it would have to be built fresh. When shipping logistics are taken into account, that is why you were given the 10-12 week quote...

Comment

hey ronmexico, my take is its a fun versatile board, with a performance ceiling that swallow tail fans will love. it does have a nice wide point, but i was most surprised by its tail rocker. it really allows the board to be ridden in good surf. super easy to get up and go, you just want to weigh whether the template and tail are what you are after. in the hybrid world, this one definitely tips more in the performance direction but is still a versatile option for people that ride conventional shortboards often.

hope this helps a little bit more.

Comment

Working...
                        X