Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deciding which board

Hi everyone, first post on here.
    Im 18, about 170cm tall, 60kg and in need of a board.
    Im from Perth wa and surf at trigg/scabs 90% of the time (1-3ft).
    Ive been surfing for a couple of years so in the beginner/avg surfer range.
    Anyway im after a new board. Had a simmon anderson 6'1 shortboard but am looking for something thats a bit shorter.
    ive narrowed it down to these 3 boards but not sure about which one to go with.
    Domiator 5'6/8 Spitfire 5'6/8 or Sp 5'0/2
    I like the sp but im thinking its not the best board when ive only got a badly dinged up shortboard.
    Any suggestions?
    thanks guys

DannB,

Did you check out the Volume Calculator yet?? http://www.firewiresurfboards.com/qu...olume_calc.php

I would recommend the 5'8 spitfire (5'6 if you rip) and a 5'3 Baked Potato (5'1 if you rip) instead of SP. Another thing I would recommend is to check with your local surf shop to see if they have demo boards (if you are new to Firewire boards).

ALOHA!!

Comment

Thanks man,
      na didnt see the volume calculator.
      Just did it then and it looks like your spot on with the 5'8 spitfire!
      I think im leaning more towards the hybrid style boards instead of the stokes,
      but open to any suggestions.
      I will be buying local so will check out some of the shops to see if they have any demos available.
      thanks again for the help

Comment

hmmm 18 and 60kg volume calculator says 26-31 for a 20y/o beginner/intermediate @60kg I'm thinking the 5'6" spitfire should be fine. That will cover you for the waves you usually surf and more although if you head down Margarets River way you'll find it's limits. For those waves, which I imagine is more in the future you'll need something more refined with more rocker but that can wait.

Comment

Hi. Im currently riding a custom 6'1''x20x2.5 Lost Minidriver as my goodwave allrounder.
          Im 1,85mts 82kgs. 29years. Average weekend surfer.
          I would like to add a board for good waves, chest hight plus surf, with good paddle and userfrendliness but with more vertical response at hight speeds.
          Would be the MB 6'2'' thick or 6'4'' thin, a good choice?

What would be the wave range and what should I except when compared to my Minidriver?
          Thanks

Comment

Considering, skill level,weight and height I wold go for the 5'8" spit. It has more than enough volume but height/skill level, the 5'6" might be a bit too short

Comment

yeah i am in agreement with Iggy and Slowman. I think you are right smack in the running for a 506 or 508 spitfire...

If you are super committed and thinking you'll be progressing quickly, then definitely go 506 spitfire!!

Comment

Hi Nev: What FCS tri fins should I use in the Jacknife 6'2'' in punchy beachbreacks? I'm, 1,85mt and 82 Kgs.
                And would the MB 6'6'' thin be a good step up from the JK to double overhead waves?
                Cheers

Comment

Hey HSO the MB 606 is a good option for up to double overhead, but it depends how steep. Your standard wave yeah it could be good, but if its super hollow, you might want to start looking at more of a step up with a round tail. I probably ride my Michel close to double over head, but at that size I am on a point break. On a big reef or beach break, i would be grabbing a round tail with a few more step-up characteristics. Look at the Alternator, Flexfire or Artillery.

In the end, however, it comes down to your surfing ability.

Also re fins in the jacknife, if riding it as a thruster, i would think the Fanning fins would be great. I really like the PC5s as well as the FG5s.

Cheers!

Comment

I wouldn't ride a wave double over head and steep... Too big for me. Standard maybe. Steep only overhead.

What about FCS GAM? What would be the wave (optimal) range in the JK?

Thank you for the help

Comment

Originally posted by H.S.O. View Post
                      I wouldn't ride a wave double over head and steep... Too big for me. Standard maybe. Steep only overhead.

What about FCS GAM? What would be the wave (optimal) range in the JK?

Thank you for the help
                      GAMs are good, I am using them in my Aloha AF2 (quite similar to an Alt) they have the hold in bigger waves, with good drive to accelerate through turns and good release too for when you want to snap a few turns.

I have just started riding my JK with FCS R2s in a thruster set up. Hard to tell with only one surf in small waves but I think I like it better than the quad set up. Anyway the R2s are a good fin too and probably a little looser than the GAMs.

Comment

Thank for the feedback

Comment

Working...
                        X