Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Nev...tell me about the FUTURA......an often missed board when choosing? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nev...tell me about the FUTURA......an often missed board when choosing?

Nev
    Any chance of some Nev wise words on the FUTURA? have checked the video and the old forum
    how do you rate the board and how do you describe it?
    is is similar to the fuego? more like another? interested to where you place it in the firewire range?
    what size woudl you ride if you surfed it, and what conditions would you take it out in?

of course anyone else's views also welcome!

Mebbe Nev is having tea with Elvis?

- aurf

Comment

things have been skewed a bit by the newer hybrids, but, the futura basically takes your competitive style shortboard act into lesser waves..that is, you can still surf in a conventional manner when the waves hold back your hi performance shortboard by stepping down onto the futura...Taj's trainer surfs this as his everyday board....i have had variations on this shaped by Nev in my rotation for a long time...in fact a futura-ish 6'2 from 1998 is leaning in the corner here now...

by the way....they also SHRED.!...that board in the corner has air-dropped snapper from behind the rock and screamed through thick barrels and dissected the walls right down the bay...that session is as clear as yesterday...everyone could use a futura in their arsenal...!

Comment

Nev are you out there mate
        Not a single post in your new forum
        Hello........
        Nev..........Nev................. Neville

Comment

Activator...wish you were here...

Hey boys
          Yeah yeah.... enough of the Elvis shite! :)
          Actually, I have been in WA surfing with my son Jayden and scored 4 to 6 ft. Blacks for 3 hours with at times no-one out... Whoa! What a heavy scary wave and even scarier surrounds. God that paddle is DAMMM spooky, especially with cloud cover and in the last hours of light...Good to be scaling the cliff with legs still intact.
          Photos of us two stoked groms, Floyd’s wish you were here blaring. Epic moment.

I am in like Flynn now, so here's my Futura perspective.
          It was based on the Retrorocket model I did in the 90's. (Danny Wills, Rasta, Guy Walker used to smash it on the Retro Rockets circa 92' to 98')
          To be riden 2 to 4" shorter than your normal board, full forward outline, not so full area round tail, with contemopy rocker and thickness/foil. This adds up to what has now been popularized by KS in the Wizard Sleeve More recently Hybrids have become more about volume and flatter rocker, which is evident in the FW range. Sadly the poor old Futura has taken a back seat. To give this gem of a high performance hybrid another shot at stardom I have tweaked it with a cool and functional cut wing swallow, and renamed it the Activator.
          The Activator is the perfect step down board if you only have a HPSB (High Performance Short Board). If the HPSB is for 3 to 6ft then the Activator is for 2 to 4ft+ all conditions, BUT this board can also be surfed comfortably in 4 to 6 with a bit of skill in yer back pocket. The El Fuego has a much flatter non contemporary volume distribution moved forward under your chest for that more fishy feel...Definitely not as vertical in the pocket type of board as the Activator.
          Nev

Comment

nevs spent decades tuning these models (ahead of the pack)...here's an early activator and a rocket with a ridiculous amount of rocker (in a good way)....both from mid 90's...Attachment
            Attached Files

Comment

Hey Nev and Core
              I predominantly ride a SP 5'10" and when it gets bigger I ride my HF 6'6" the only problem I have is the transition of floatation from the SP to HF, I have ridden the HF up to 8ft with no problem however just want a bit of extra paddle power, my question is do I sell the HF and get a Activator 6'7" to handle up to 8ft or is it the wrong board for that size and do I just keep the HF and loose some weight I am 103kgs. I am doing my first trip back to Bali in 15 years in June/July as I have ben pre occupied snowboarding Japan for the past 15 years, the boards I want to take are the SP 5'10" + HF 6'6" or new Activator 6'7" + 7'2" Quad Gun.
              I look forward to your thoughts.

Comment

hey mate, got a couple of smokers at av point today...till my back told me to get out..!!....

not sure where to point you here...you hack hard on that HF in some juice...so to increase your paddle power from there you could easily end up with a big unwieldy boat on a good face (like i did the other day)...and you surf too well for that...you could look at a hellrazor...or lose that weight..!!..(says me still 90kg!)...not sure how these new boards are in the larger sizes so lets tag Nev in here...

Comment

Hey mate, I thought it would have been good yesterday and might be a couple today did you ride your HF, thanks for the comments, I thought about the Hellrazor but I would need a 6'11" for the volume of 41 litres + and that would feel like a gun. As you said might have to loose some weight by the way I did have a 6'5" EF before the HF and that had great paddle power but just never rode it over 5-6ft. Did you tag Nev as I am not sure how to do that?

Comment

yep 510 hell fire was on fire..pity i had to cut it short..debating whether to go now...might stay out with my back..no crowds next week...although the less i go out the heavier and more unfit i get...which while riding tiny boards makes my back worse..vicious circle..!!..but i refuse to give up my youth and ride bigger boards...yeah thought hellrazor would be heading towards your 7'2...nev will get email notification like us...but he's probably on a tropical atoll somewhere working hard..

Comment

Originally posted by Nev View Post
                      Hey boys
                      Yeah yeah.... enough of the Elvis shite! :)
                      Actually, I have been in WA surfing with my son Jayden and scored 4 to 6 ft. Blacks for 3 hours with at times no-one out... Whoa! What a heavy scary wave and even scarier surrounds. God that paddle is DAMMM spooky, especially with cloud cover and in the last hours of light...Good to be scaling the cliff with legs still intact.
                      Photos of us two stoked groms, Floyd’s wish you were here blaring. Epic moment.

I am in like Flynn now, so here's my Futura perspective.
                      It was based on the Retrorocket model I did in the 90's. (Danny Wills, Rasta, Guy Walker used to smash it on the Retro Rockets circa 92' to 98')
                      To be riden 2 to 4" shorter than your normal board, full forward outline, not so full area round tail, with contemopy rocker and thickness/foil. This adds up to what has now been popularized by KS in the Wizard Sleeve More recently Hybrids have become more about volume and flatter rocker, which is evident in the FW range. Sadly the poor old Futura has taken a back seat. To give this gem of a high performance hybrid another shot at stardom I have tweaked it with a cool and functional cut wing swallow, and renamed it the Activator.
                      The Activator is the perfect step down board if you only have a HPSB (High Performance Short Board). If the HPSB is for 3 to 6ft then the Activator is for 2 to 4ft+ all conditions, BUT this board can also be surfed comfortably in 4 to 6 with a bit of skill in yer back pocket. The El Fuego has a much flatter non contemporary volume distribution moved forward under your chest for that more fishy feel...Definitely not as vertical in the pocket type of board as the Activator.
                      Nev
                      Nev, don't you mean the "Jacknife"? I thought the Activator was the tweeked Dominator and the Jacknife was the tweaked Futura....

Comment

You are absolllluutely right goanna...!! The Jacknife will come out mid year.

Nev

Comment

just in time for my birthday! thanks for the reply Nev.

Comment

yeah right...How about on the soaking goldie watching my backyard flood to buggery...No 18 holes for me for a while. I'd rather be in WA cause Taj said it was mental today! bastard!

Bottom line is you have too much volume in the 510SP and not enough in the 606HF. Dougall Walker ex pro and Billabong/Firewire exec rips on his 508SP and is 95+k ...If you can wait for the 6'8" Jacknife...That would be the board because it has high performance foil and rocker but a Futura /fuller outline. and is 41.7L which should be fine for you. The Activator is just a with a narrower tail.

Tough call mate. All I know is the Hellfire is not enough...2 to 3 liters under...
                            Agreed, you are getting by but you'll be ripping with that extra resistance that the correct volume gives you. Don't even be worried about a 6'11 Hell razor either..You will throw that baby around easily.
                            Nev

Comment

there ya go NN....problem solved...now ya just gotta tell the wife its new board time..!!..and when your on your new paddle-demon, remember not to snake up inside me with all that extra confidence..!!

Comment

Working...
                              X