X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Submoon

I'm not really a longboarder (could care less about nose riding), but I break mine out on occasion for super small waves or as an easy paddler if I've had a few weeks off from surfing to get the wave count up. Everytime I'm on it though, I always wish it wasn't such a heavy log, and have been wanting to replace it with an epoxy longboard. Not HP longboard, but something wide and thick. So when I saw the submoon in the catalog my eyes lit up. Can anybody tell me when I can expect these to be in shops? I would love to give it a feel before I dropped the cash on one. Hoping before summer...

Hey Ron, they will likely be in retail in decent numbers closer to May. It will slowly fill in, but if you want one sooner, rather than later, you would likely have to place a special order.

its a good one though and will serve a good purpose in your quiver.

Comment

Thanks Chris,

Yeah if I had one I would use it as my only longboard. Could you give any info on the rocker? I would want it for really small summer waves (waist high and under). I'm not sure what it was designed for.

Comment

I'd also love some info on the rocker. Is it similar to the flexflights or flatter?

Comment

I've seen a few of these in the stores and I'm interested but I haven't seen any Firewire documentation on the design yet. Firewire, can you put something up?

Comment

agreed...have an 8'11 in my local store...intriguing for sure...but need more info...looks like it has a lot of rocker...is it going to suck in thigh to waist mush?...is it def built for better faced waves?...would love the run-down!!!

Comment

and def how does it paddle compared to "normal" longboard?

Comment

Still looking for some info on this. Firewire? Anything? Hello? Anybody here? :)

Comment

Hey folks! wooooooo that one will be online soon! keep your eyes open!

Comment

it should be online for you this week!

Cheers

Comment

Good stuff. Looking forward to it

Comment

Thanks Chris.

Comment

I Bought the 9"5 submoon a while back and it felt like a paddle board lol Massive board that caught everything, even further out than the logs. But I found it was way too wide and only worked on the tail in bigger waves. I saw a bloke riding the 8"2 or 8"7 with quad fins and was absolutely ripping on it with off the lip snappy turns to long nose rides. Was ridiculous. But the longer models are over kill in width and the fin box's are too far back.
                          I traded it in straight away for the 9"1 Flexflight. The dude said "I think you'll like this one"... and he was right! Its perfect for me and what I wanted. Super light, fast, turns!!! and paddles like a dream with the thickness. If your gonna ride a Mal then it might as well paddle like one! I had a much thinner Laguna Bay performance mal before this with a full rocker and it was a pig to paddle. I don't notice the thickness at all with the Flexflight. The thickness is through the stringer and thins out on the rails.
                          Its got all the perks of the submoon but definitely more versatile and longboardy.

I think those shorter Submoons would be worth a go though for sure :) Take a paddle for the 9"5!!!

Comment

I got the 7 foot submoon - what a beautiful cross of mal and shorboard. So far only ridden dribble that should be un-surfable but it worked so I can't wait for 3 foot or bigger!
                            Yes it seems to have a mal style nose rocker - nose shape more shape of shark head than round then gentle flattened curve with concave to a serious tail lift with savage double concave. So if you want that feeling of paddling twice and catching a dribble then you might be disappointed. The 7 foot version catches waves easier than a short board but rides nicely with feet forward but a little slide of your back foot to the tail and you are on a different board.
                            So if you want to stand and slide across the face get a mal or ride a submoon with your feet forward. Want to carve on small waves then the submoon will perform. I feel that is by far a better small wave board than Mctavish carver. I haven't ridden it above one foot yet so my views are limited. Having not ridden any mal until my late forties I don't have the feel for 8 foot plus boards and their flattened rockers. However I also know the limitations of fish and short boards in sloppy small conditions and the submoon gets around these.
                            The choice is simple mal or a mal/fish/short board creation - it depends on the way you want to surf!
                            Just back from 2 foot clean but crowded session - paddles in like a mal, but up a going feels like a very loose, little fish. Want to run a dead section - back foot forward and it glides. The tail really comes in to it when wave has some face to it. The submoon is NOT a mal - a definite hybrid fun shape - just what I was looking for. Oh yeah - riding it as quad with medium scarfini HX fins!!!!
                            Last edited by jambo; 01-03-2014, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X