Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• elimination of the vents on FST (Boyles Law?)

Hi Chris, NEV
    The new 2011 Hell Fire I just received has a label on the board that basically says "after heatTesting, there was no measurable difference. The FST eliminated its vent plug.
    " Questions I have are:
    1) Was there any testing done for Altitude pressure/Aircraft Travel, compensation for the airpressure in the cargo bays, in which can be a 10,000+ alt difference.
    Reason I am asking is because I travel inter-Island for surf and the aircraft cargo underbelly is not pressurized like the passenger cabin. Also I live at 2800 feet elevation in Hawaii.
    2) if the vents are not needed, then can I plug the vent on my new Quadra-five so it wont take in any water, I would plug it at sea level so the air trapped inside is at par with normal surfing pressures.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boyle's_law taking into consideration Boyle's law, Charles's law, and Gay-Lussac's law form the combined gas law. The three gas laws in combination with Avogadro's law can be generalized by the ideal gas law.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hey Fritzcat,
    good research and deep thoughts. So I am just going to answer in a piecewise manner:

1: we didn't do any quantitative testing at altitude due to the logistical challenges involved and high expense of doing it, but we have been busy on the qualitative side of things. People within the company and riders of our boards have ample experience with island hopping and flying with unpressurized cargo holds and the boards do fine. There really isn't enough internal pressure (or gas for that matter, think low n value) in the board when it is made so the it would take more extreme conditions to reach dangerous levels. Plus when you fly in such a way, typically the board is exposed to reduced temperatures, and when you toss a decreasing T into PV = nRT and assume the volume is a constant, then clearly the internal pressure will be reduced as the board cools (don't confuse the P in this formula for external environmental pressure). I think the two come very close to offsetting as we have never seen altitude related damage to any of our boards. Just an FYI, high heat is a far greater threat to the board than decreasing external pressure.

2: your house at 2800 ft is MORE than safe. I just drove through the rockies, cross country with a board and hit 12,000 feet and not a thing happened, other than snow in July (my summer).

3: regarding the vent....technically yes you can fill in the hole, but I personally wouldn't do it because the valve is 100% passive, requires no maintenance and we RARELY ever see issues with them. I mean rarely!!!! I think you actually increase risk of damage by altering a pre-existing valve.

Hope this helps!!

Comment

Yeah so long story short, way more important to keep your board out of HOT HOT HEAT.....not the band though, as they can be entertaining in doses.

Comment

Sounds good Chris..
        As for the heat. I primarily see alot of board damage (all kinds of board materials ) from that factor alone. Its a no brainer, but people still leave the car windows up at noon with the board cooking inside...

Comment

well if you did that with a Sweet potato, after a while you would have a baked potato.....waiiiiiiit........

Comment

jejjejeejje

Comment

Working...
            X