Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firewire copy?

Hi all,

This guy was showing me his Bufo (surf board that is) and it seemed much like a Firewire in tech.

It had a vent plug and was very light, he said it was like $900!

He went on to say that the guy shapes for Lost.

Anyways it all seemed a bit odd.

Do you guys know of this Bufo (bufo-surfboards.com)?

- aurf

Isn't he the German guy behind the Hydroflex tech? The ones you pump up to affect the pressure and stiffness of the board for different conditions?

Comment

Funny, I Heard he got the Idea from his Inflateable Doll? let the air out and its loose, add air and its tight?

Comment

hahahaha

Comment

yeah aurf good find, but they are definitely a different principle. The guys are right: its a pressure-based flex control and you can find it a number of different shops in a number of different shapes....

Comment

Seems like a tough way to make a dime. Imagine the time tweaking the pressure for flex, seems a lot easier to have a few boards/fins.

- aurf

Comment

Imagine if it dings???

Comment

Originally posted by iggy View Post
                Imagine if it dings???
                it might go really fast as it loses volume!

Comment

I might be impressed if they filled the boards with Helium displacing the air and made them thinner. a Super light, thin board. ..

Comment

anything

Comment

i like the helium thing. hang on I'll whip one up...

Comment

Helium would be sik!

That's actually a great idea.

Comment

Very different build. Firewire boards are compression sandwich build. Hydroflex is a glassing house, technology that can be used in PU, EPS, and the various options in weight of those blanks.

Their lamination is 3 dimensional, being it anchors to the blank. So as the valve goes because the blank and lamination is anchored and EPS is porous, Bufo and crew realized they can add air or take away PSI, like a sponge or ballon. For the sake of understanding imagine putting air into a bicycle tire, add air, makes it stiffer, less air its soft and flexes. Also the air thing makes people think they would float more, they dont

Honestly I have had a few and its interesting stuff but changing the pressure is a little to involved. Most leave it at 2 PSI... cool thing is pumping the board up removes denting. As far as how they surf? I like the PU version as I like PU feel. Hydroflex are much stronger then standard PU. The shapability is cool [custom]

They dont have the twang of the FW or the strength of the FST. Another viable tech though but pretty expensive

Comment

good feedback ddarko. I don't know a lot about them and haven't surfed with anyone on one yet, but that is good info.

Cheers!

Comment

Chris. let me know when you have the Helium Board ready...

Comment

Working...
                              X