Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firewires with channels?

Hi Nev,

Back in the mid to late 80's my brother had this Nev Hyman thruster that was an absolute killer...It was around 5'10 or 6'0 from memory and had 5 channels and carved all over the place...every time we went surfing I was always hassling him for a ride but rarely had a chance to use it. However, when I did it absolutely blew me away. I ended up buying a Dick Van Straalen similar and it too was the "ducks nuts".

Anyway, I noticed there is some movement back to channels with conventional boards...I know glassers hate them with a passion....is there any plans to make a Firewire with channels or does the technology etc not lend itself to this? What is your personal opinion on channels pros/cons?

Michael

Channels on FST might look like a little nightmare to engineer.I could foresee maybe something on rapid-fire but t this point...

Comment

i have one of nev's early 6 channel, diamond tail, boxfin thrusters here...i'll see if i can get some pics up...pure art...pure genius...too precious to ride but could still hold its own in the lineup..one of the best ive ridden...LOVES the burleigh bowl

Comment

Pics???

Comment

trying to dig through to it in the garage...trying to sell house (no chance in this economic climate) so everything in parents place..i can see it..just cant reach it..!!..this board really belongs in nevs showroom collection but it has special meaning (to us both..shaped for a departed friend)..so i like it nearby to put under my arm from time to time...

Comment

Nice!!

Comment

yeah its a fair question, definitely difficult to engineer and we have other tweaks and techs that we have been focused on perfecting to this point.

We are a never say never company though!

Cheers

Comment

Lads, I had someone who was involved with FW early on build me a FW construction type board with 6 channels and it rips. Off to Indo in 7 days and its the first board I have packed. They definitely work ...but it was expensive and timely to build. Worth every cent but to me.

Comment

josh???..
                  hope you score over there mate..!!

Comment

channels certainly make the board smooth and fluid. I think it depends, again, a bit on preference, as I find them to track a bit more than I ilke, slightly lengthening arcs and drawing out turns.

Cheers

Comment

Thanks for all the kind words on the Channels boys...I loved (?) shaping them because you really did think you were creating something that could hang on a wall. Sanders and glassers did not feel the love.
                      Firewires go so well for many reason one being exactly what channels ultimately did to a board which, however it happened from the water moving through and across the board, resulted in a UNIQUE feeling that is hard to describe. Firewire tech achieve's this result more from the tech than the contours of the bottom.
                      Would a FW go even better with 6 deep channels? That is the argument right there and I am not going to engage in that one because all our lovely lady glassers at the factory would change their last names collectively to Bobbit and hunt me down.

Comment

jajajaajaj

Comment

Working...
                        X