X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single Fin Pocket Rocket

The first board I was ever given was a single fin pocket rocket. its about 6'2 x 18 5/8 x 2 3/8 with the wide point very up front and an extremely pulled in tail. Its a very retro board but has modern bottom contours, the overall rocker is flat with a bit of tail kick and it has a flat bottom until about mid way through where it turns into a heavy double concave, nothing potato like but still a good one. This board absolutely flies, fastest board I have ever ridden without a doubt.
    I was wondering if anything similar has ever been discussed to be built for FW? I realized that FW, while offering tons of different shapes and sizes with excellent user friendly reference points for anyone looking to buy one, has stayed away from retro kind of board. For the most part they are hybrids and short boards, there are the 3 fishes but I would love to see something like what was mentioned above come out in FST.
    I couldn't even imagine how amazing a single fin in FST would feel, with excellent flex and the unmatched speed of a single fin the board would be insane! maybe its something to consider, even if most of them sold only through orders, it would still be variety and I will tell you right now that if you cant get barreled on a board with those dims, than you just cant get barreled. The whole nature of a single fin seems to simply find the tube by itself, got the best barrel of my life on that board and after I get her fixed up and back from the grave I hope to get more!

Sounds good Chito
    I'm still frothing over this years new editions
    No doubt it's probably on Nev's radar for the next round of new models

Comment

Interesting idea, imagine it with a deviant fin. Back in the time of the "stinger" we used leave the fin loose in the fin box to create a similar effect.

Fastest board ever? Even faster than a quad?

Comment

Oh yes, I had a day out front when it was really offshore at high tide and was about solid overhead and a half. Get in on the single fin and just start pumping across the first section and holy crap, would come out going to fast to do turns half the time. The deep double concave in combination with a medium sized fin allowed for less drag and lightning fast rail to rail transitions. You could get up on the top 2/3 of the board, taking your back foot off the tail and allowing the pinned out nature of it to lock into the pocket, than just stay really low and do slight movements which when transferred through the board became long drawn out pumps. Add this with a steady offshore to really help aid the steepness of the wave face and you have yourself a recipe for some seriously hard going!
        Cant even imagine this with modern fins and an ultra light epoxy glass job, than combined with the flex pattern of the balsa rails to really help the board drive out of every pump and carry that momentum, you would get going so fast you might go into another dimension!

Comment

Oh yes, I had a day out front when it was really offshore at high tide and was about solid overhead and a half. Get in on the single fin and just start pumping across the first section and holy crap, would come out going to fast to do turns half the time. The deep double concave in combination with a medium sized fin allowed for less drag and lightning fast rail to rail transitions. You could get up on the top 2/3 of the board, taking your back foot off the tail and allowing the pinned out nature of it to lock into the pocket, than just stay really low and do slight movements which when transferred through the board became long drawn out pumps. Add this with a steady offshore to really help aid the steepness of the wave face and you have yourself a recipe for some seriously hard going!
          Cant even imagine this with modern fins and an ultra light epoxy glass job, than combined with the flex pattern of the balsa rails to really help the board drive out of every pump and carry that momentum, you would get going so fast you might go into another dimension!

Comment

Working...
          X