Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best design for wind affected choppy messy surf

Nev and friends,
    Which design would suit me best? I am 40yrs old, 90kg intermediate.
    Already have a 5'8" spud which is great in small clean gutless surf.
    Also ride a 6'3" elfuego as my mainly used board. Looking for a board to ride every known and then when the conditions are really poor and want to increase my wave count and have fun with a board that paddles even eaiser than the ones above but does not get out of my control on choppy faces. Still want to try and throw a good turn if the opportunity arises but for the rest of the time, just get tons of waves.
    I was thinking of either the 6'10" alternator or the 6'6" or 6'10" advance or a 6'8" potatonator?
    What you guys rekon would work the best?
    Cheers

How's your paddling?. How do you feel the El Fuego?a bit over buoyant?.Seems like you enjoy ridding boards with a bit extra foam!!
    Doesn't the spud cover the really poor spectrum?.Maybe the Addvance is the board you're looking for

Comment

I would have though the Spud would do all that although you may find it easier on a smaller Spud - I am selling my 5'8" spud for this very reason
      other than that I guess the Potatonator

Comment

Thanks Iggy, i am an 90kg, 40 year old intermediate so I think my other boards buoyancy is fine, yer I could ride smaller but sure some people of my weight and skill rider larger. Generally the waves I ride would be considered as fat and weak. How much do you weigh iggy? Why do you think the other boards wont be any good?

Comment

Find spuds are great but technically difficult to ride in choppy wind affected waves, too much speed and generally i get out of control. May be good for the advanced riders in these conditions but hard to handle for us the average joe. Love the spud otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Freaked_Out View Post
            Thanks Iggy, i am an 90kg, 40 year old intermediate so I think my other boards buoyancy is fine, yer I could ride smaller but sure some people of my weight and skill rider larger. Generally the waves I ride would be considered as fat and weak. How much do you weigh iggy? Why do you think the other boards wont be any good?
            Is not that I think less of the other boards, simply the Addvance will suit your needs like a glove better than any of the others.
            Attachment
            The wider nose and flatter rocker will help you catch waves with ease and go over chops like hot knife on butter.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Freaked_Out View Post
              85Kgs dry at the moment...working on that!!!;)

Comment

I actually think a heavier board works better in particularly windy conditions. If it's super blustery I use a heavier non firewire board.

Comment

your first mistake buzzy....

Comment

My bad;).

In truth, I reckon there's an argument to engineer a little extra weight...nothing radical...into a line of boards for bigger blowy days.

Comment

The step ups have an extra layer of glass I believe. The extra weight that creates isn't a bad thing for bigger surf, that's for sure.

Comment

Funny I put up this post, had a surf friday night just like described. Smart ass kids were standing up and pumping so early into it then dropping into the good sections and doin air reverses every wave. Wish I was 16 again. Hey the 6'10" round alternator looks fun to me, could use it as a kind of bigger wave machine too.

Comment

Didn't Taj have extra weight put into some of his boards?
                          I'm 6ft & 90kgs on a 5'10" dom and while it flies on clean faces i find myself struggling on bumpy days.
                          I have been wondering if there is a way to add weight on those days ?

Comment

Theres an ASL interview with Nev on YouTube where he talks about adding weight to one of Tajs boards.

Comment

FST Dominator!

Comment

Working...
                              X