Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, Ill have to check those out. I went to my local surf shop and they recommended the AM2's saying that this was the fin for this particular board. Kind of bummed as I only got the thruster set-up as I rode it as a quad and quiet enjoyed it. If fins were not 100- a set I think I would be apt to buy a few more sets.

Core, could you recommend a god five fin set-up in the futures option for the Hellfire? I am 185 lb and really like having a quad option as well as the thruster set-up. I surf quads better than thrusters, not sure why.

Thanks,

Brent
    Last edited by hwork50; 03-17-2012, 09:12 AM.

Comment

work...i went with Nev's choices on his 510...even with our different weights (70/90).. i got the sa rears to go with the thrusters..they are large rears so great for forehand down the line stuff but maybe get smaller rears for backhand or pockets...have to say though, that i dont like fourfins as a rule...he also liked the pancho's and am2's..am2's might mesh better with your longer board, but for me they take away the point of the 510 in most conditions...at least the techflex did...maybe a softer flex???...if slowman likes a rakey fin in his 602 then maybe the am2's will suit...i'm not sold on them in techflex though..a little unresponsive..

crazylegs....i'm on the cenny coast ...these days i'm surfing on the uninhabited stretches south of newy....there's some good waves around nelson bay...often empty too...!!..make yourself known when you get over here..
      Last edited by core personal training; 03-17-2012, 07:02 PM. Reason: kant spel good

Comment

Cool, thanks for the input guys....Hellfire it is then. Now its just which size (been covered a million times before I know but not my weight/size) I am currently 83kg but go up to 85kgs on a bad day and 6'1" tall. The volume calculator is telling me I sit betweem 29.6 and 38.4L which would make the 6'2" at 33.7 a good choice? I could probably push it at the 6' but I would rather have slightly too much foam than too little...Im a definite intermediate surfer.
        Next, fins...the GAM's seem a pretty decent choice, as do the SA-2 and the PC7. As I said, I will never be the best surfer on the water so any choice would be a decent one I think.

I would like to trade my current board in too and get either the Spitfire, Dominator or even the El Fuego (order of preference) and feel these 2 boards would be an awesome pairing which would cover nearly all conditons. If I were to go the 6'2" HF, i guess the SF 6' (34.9) or even the 5'10" at a push (33.5) would be the way to go?
        I want to keep the volumes pretty similar I think?
        Are these 2 boards HF and SF a good choice or are they too similar and would the same fins work on both boards?
        Cheers

Comment

I'd put you after the 6'0" HF personally. It packs a lot of foam.
          You know yourself best though, but try to feel both up and see which feels right. I think the 6'2" might feel huge.

HF/SF is a good little quiver and it should be a fairly smooth transition between boards, but there would be a bit of overlap there also.

Comment

Crazylegs, for the suggested volume range 6'2 hellfire and 6'0 spitfire are in the middle. If the spitfire is going to be for smaller waves then having a little more volume than the hellfire isn't a bad thing. In smaller or softer waves it will help catch more.

For fins, I like the Rusty quads they are nice and loose while still having drive and tons of speed. I use them in both the hellfire and spitfire. The K2.1 quads are ok too but I think I like the Rusty fins better.

Comment

Yeah the 6'2" HF and 6'0" SF are right in the middle/playing it safe area...I guess I could wonder forever and really need to go and pick the boards up for myself to know for sure as you suggest prjwebb. I do think that after a few months and once im dialled I may wish I went a size smaller....
              What do you weigh slowman? Ive just noticed that you have the boards that I am looking at, good choice size wise and board type? Maybe the SF would overlap a little. Dominator could be a better choice.
              Thanks for fin advice too, I can be a bit of a cheapskate and one set of fins for them both would be good!

Comment

I weigh 90kg crazylegs. Yes there is a bit of overlap between the SF and the HF which I like, so for medium size waves it doesn't really matter which board I have. When you are time poor sometimes the wrong choice of board means no time or hardly any if you have to go back home to change them. Again being time poor I actually have 2 sets of Rusty R2s!

The dominator and the spitfire are a 100% overlap with the spit having slightly sharper performance which I prefer, the dom is still good as a backup for the spit in case something happens.

Comment

The SF and the HF seem to be my choice... If you are 90kgs slowman and on the 6' and 6'2" respectively then the 5'10" and 6' seem a good choice to me (85kgs on fat days) and I'm also inclined towards the GAMs. Sounds good to everyone?
                  I actually spoke to my mate earlier who has a 5'10" dominator (didn't even know) and he's around 80kgs...he reckons the 5'10" is plenty foamy enough for him, loves it and he doesn't surf all that often. I'm gonna try it out this Saturday so I will know more then...maybe I wont give it back! Haha

Comment

uh oh. crazylegs might have stickyfingers.

Comment

Maybe sticky pants after Saturday!

Comment

ohh look, my lunch came up.

Comment

Hahaha, core has been out done here.

Comment

Originally posted by crazylegs View Post
                            The SF and the HF seem to be my choice... If you are 90kgs slowman and on the 6' and 6'2" respectively then the 5'10" and 6' seem a good choice to me (85kgs on fat days) and I'm also inclined towards the GAMs. Sounds good to everyone?
                            I actually spoke to my mate earlier who has a 5'10" dominator (didn't even know) and he's around 80kgs...he reckons the 5'10" is plenty foamy enough for him, loves it and he doesn't surf all that often. I'm gonna try it out this Saturday so I will know more then...maybe I wont give it back! Haha
                            For the GAMs you are talking about a thruster set, right? Because I can tell you I found the GAM/Q1000 quadset far too stiff for the dominator.

Comment

Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
                              Hahaha, core has been out done here.
                              you mean creepy wise..???...nah...i still win....
                              Attachment
                              Attached Files

Comment

Well, I went to the surf shop today to check the boards out. They had what I was looking for 6'0 Dominator and 6'2 Hellfire. No Spitfire to compare the Dom with though but I get the general idea.
                                The Dom looked awesome and I think im pretty set on that one for sure. The 6'0 felt like a good size for me too, not too big at 85kgs.
                                The Hellfire looked good, but i was surprised how deep the double concaves and prominent the spine was all the way down. I am really into the build quality/durability of the Firewires and with the Dominator/Spit probably being my go to board its a dead set buy. But next to the Hellfire was an Al Merrick Fred Rubble 6'2x19.5x2.5 (31.6v)which I must say looked pretty good too. Its a bit narrower than the HF which is 6'2x20 1/4x2.5 (33.7v) but the volume is further forward and the nose rocker a little less but tail slightly more. The bottom is also double concaved but very subtle down towards the fin area where is is a little more evident.
                                In all honesty, I do like the look of both of them but the sublty of the Fred Rubble did slightly push me towards it a bit more...
                                Does anybody have an opinion on this board (Fred Rubble) and would it be fairly similar to the Hellfire? I know this site is a Firewire site but honesty would be appreciated...
                                Cheers fellas

Comment

Working...
                                X