Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Al Merrick doesn't make bad boards, but I know nothing about that model.

Comment

seems to be the board that a lot of the CI team have been using since it was created. got to be a good one if you're after traditional construction board.

Comment

Nice selling point prjwebb! But you're right, the durability of the FireWire boards is something that made me look towards them in the first place. I am dead set on the spitfire now so I may just get that and see how I feel a month or two down the line. I will have lived on the easy coast of oz for a little while then and got a feel for the breaks, the swell would have started to pick up by then too. I may find a completely different board suitable by then....at least with the spit I know it's a safe pick and will get used everyday from 2' up to 6'. Sounds like a good plan? I think so!

Comment

Originally posted by crazylegs View Post
          Does anybody have an opinion on this board (Fred Rubble) and would it be fairly similar to the Hellfire? I know this site is a Firewire site but honesty would be appreciated...
          Cheers fellas
          The Fred Rubble bottom contours and even the planshape, except for the tail, look similar to the kingpin. It has a nice look about it all right. Assuming it goes similar to the kingpin (single to double with vee off the tail) it will be loose and fast but I can tell you the hellfire is faster and while I wouldn't say looser it really accelerates out of turns, which I think is a combination of the HF's deep concaves and flex pattern. I also love the bite of the HF tail's diamond and step down rails, it goes where you point it and you can carve and hack with confidence virtually anywhere on a wave and just has the edge over the kingpin in that respect.

Comment

Thanks Slowman...Why cant choosing a board be simple! There are just so many out there that are so similar. I have never seen the kingpin for real but have just checked it out on the js site and it does look pretty good too. Would I be right in saying the HF would enable you to get away with a few mistakes in the turns over the others due to the speed and acceleration out of turns? The deeper concaves will allow for the speed and acceleration right? But will they make it a bit less stable through a turn? Twitchy like...
            I think its gonna be the Spitfire for now and take it from there (btw a site called surf science rated the Dom the best board of 2011, is the Spit quite new? It wasnt on the list at all). Basically, from the Spitfire I want a step up board for larger, cleaner surf which you dont have to be Kelly Slater to surf. I cant make my mind up about which one but I must say, this forum has got to be one of the best places for info and answers around.
            Cheers guys....

Comment

Within the FireWire family there are a number of choices for a step up from the spitfire but for most mortal humans I reckon the realistic choice is between the quadrafive, alternator, hellfire and hell razor. An argument could probably be made for the MB too but I suspect that is better placed in the company of the Taj and Flexfire, which I think would be super sensitive boards and frankly having more detriments than positives for an average strong surfer.

Of the realistic choices I reckon, based on the superlative feedback on it, the Hellfire is the most likely pick, or if you are after a more traditional shortboard look and feel, the Alternator.

I personally love my Dom and Alt. both amazing boards and good compliments to each other.

Comment

The Hellfire is a very natural step up from the Spitfire for me. Not sure when the spitfire came out but it might be recent as someone mentioned the other day on a thread it never appeared with a pressure release valve, which they eliminated in the last 12 months I think. The speed of the HF's turns and its ability to do tight snaps don't make it unstable in my experience.

Comment

Ive just ordered my 6' Spitfire today which should be ready to pick up once I arrive on the east coast. Awesome!! I just hope its not too big...
                  Like I said, Im gonna wait a while before getting the second board, but ive given the Fred Rubble the elbow. It doesnt seem to be exactly what Im after.
                  Also, whilst not a bad choice, the Hellfire does seem a bit close to ths Spitfire in some ways so that may not be an option any longer. Instead, the Alternator seems to be a good step up for when the waves are a little bigger and better. It is seems very close to the Al Merrick Flyer (opinions?) which is an option, but the durability of the Firewire is edging that race, plus it would be good to have 2 firewires!....thats not for a little while anyways.

6'0" Spitfire and 6'2" Alternator. The best 2 board combo to cover it all? Probably.....

Comment

Sounds good to me. 6'2" or 6'4" on the Alt I'd say.

Comment

i've ridden both the alt and the other one in 6'4 in the same session...i dont want to talk down a shapers work....both target the same market more or less...ignoring the superior strength longevity and flex the alt gives you and just looking at shape, one is cumbersome and does not feel HP at all, very '80's in a clunky way, the other hits the bullseye and is user friendly, has the benefit of foam, stability and paddles easily while still surfing as HP as most would be capable of......i own a 604 alternator....so does the owner of the other board after testing mine...
                      Last edited by core personal training; 03-25-2012, 12:05 AM. Reason: kant spel good

Comment

watch the 604 alt if you are not heavy and/or powerful....it still catches me with too much foam in serious sections sometimes...thats at 90kg+...the planshape and rocker do a great job here...a moderate volume will go a long way....if i wanted to tear up on it, i would have 6'0...to make it a bit easier i would have a 6'2...i got the 6'4 for when i was 95+ and wanted to give my back an easy ride...if i hammer it, it still goes nuts though..!!!

Comment

the hellfire is not really like the spit..yes, it was born of its loins, but thats all...(this assumes you ride it as small as possible) you would not ride a spit in real waves in place of your full comp board...the hellfire though, i have ridden everyday since its birth...and i DO NOT ride hybrids......i have only ridden a full HP 2 or 3 times since...and i ride good waves...keep the HF and HR in your mix
                          Last edited by core personal training; 03-25-2012, 12:13 AM.

Comment

Amen to that core!

Comment

Great, just when i had my mind made up! Aaagggghhhh!

Comment

ha...sorry mate....what are you stuck with now????..we will see if we can confuse you more..!!

Comment

Working...
                                X