X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by core personal training View Post
    ha...sorry mate....what are you stuck with now????..we will see if we can confuse you more..!!
    jajajaja Core being Core!!!!
    Crazylegs let us know what is troubling your sleep at this point

Comment

haha! well, I was decided on the 6'0 Spitfire (ordered) and the 6'2 Hellfire. Now I think I would like something more 'like a shortboard' for when I step up and was thinking about the 6'2 Alternator. Now Core is saying he swears by the HF and thats great as a HP board....
      Thing is, im hardly in the upper echelon of surfers on the water and if the Hellfire is still HP to a degree but still easier and more forgiving than the Alternator for example, then it does seem like a very good option.
      But...I will get back into the swing of things (havent surfed regularly for 5 years, prob 3 times in past 2! Living in WA I am a very competent windsurfer in the waves though) I would like something that will push me and really rip on the good days. Thats where I think of the ALternator.
      Newcastle will rarely be over 8' so that will probably be the biggest surf I would be out in.....
      Discuss...

Comment

ok, so, unless your busting for the hperf now, i would tune in to the spit...see what's what...volume, shape, likes-dislikes..etc...then you'll know how to scale up the other boards...plus if you get back in regularly, you may improve enough to not need as much board in the others...

Comment

Yeah, thats pretty sound advice and is what I will probably do for now anyways...unless I give into temptation! When you say I may not need as much board in the others I presume you are on about going down in size? 6' Alt or HF maybe...

Comment

just thinking if you get back up to speed you may find you "outgrow" the spit in a 6'0...if that is the case, then scaling up the others off it will throw them all out of whack...it will be great for getting you back in the swing of it...as you get your game back you will know if its still fine or a bit too much foam...if thats the case then you may end up on a 6'0 hf and 6'2 alt or similar in a hellrazor

Comment

Yeah I was in 2 minds whether to go 5'10 Spitfire. The 6' will be good for a while but will possibly be too big... thats why I want a 2nd, more HP board to use for head high and above and save the Spit for the lame/summer days. I still think the Spit will get plenty of use when I get my game back as it sounds so much fun, its just the 6' may seem a little large by then but hopefully still ok.

Comment

lets just make sure the more HP board is not over foamed...

Comment

To be honest, I reckon a 6'0" board is small for an 85kg bloke who hasn't surfed in 3 years except on rare occasions. Not to say it won't work, but I reckon it's far off generously foamed. I'd say 6'0" to 6'2" is about the money for a competent but not ripping surfer on that board. If they're after lower volume they're either masochists or better than average at that weight, IMHO.

Comment

yeah...if we are talking about the spit, i think he is looking at something that wont be so big he has to get rid of it when he gets back in the swing of it...if he has been windsurfing waves his re-learning curve will probably be quicker than most....i agree a bigger spit would be better short term, but afterwards may need to be sold off...also it is a wide flat stable design...

Comment

I can see where you're coming from buzzy and share your opinion to a degree. On the other hand, core is right in saying a 6'2 may be too big down the line and a bit frustrating...
                      I'm confident I will get back into it fairly soon, I was a fairly decent surfer before and rode a 6'3 x 18.5x2.5 and whilst it's fairly thick, this board was 5-6 years ago so had the narrower nose and was a more performance board. I certain think it was less than the 34.6 litres that the spitty is. The volume calculator states my upper limit is around 38 l and lower around 29 I think.
                      Too late now anyways, I've already ordered it! Haha

Comment

It all depends on what you're used to and prefer, and the intended use for the board. I see a Spitfire/Dom as a small to medium wave board. So if it gets to 3 foot (ie head high) you move to a traditional shortboard. Some folk see it as their "everything" board. If so you'd probably ride it a tad smaller, but not much, imho. I also think they'd be better off getting a second board such as a Hellfire for those better waves but some people only want one board, and if so fair enough. If it was me getting only one board though it'd be the Hellfire.

I'm 46yoa and surf a 6'4" Dom at 90kg. I really don't feel it is overvolumed at all as a small medium wave board, and that would put you on a 6'2" for similar use for similar preferences at 85kg. I've always said I could surf a 6'2" at a pinch, just losing a touch of useability at the bottom end. So that would suggest a 6'0" is entirely reasonable for you.

At your weight the buyers guide puts you on a 6'0" Spit or a 6'2" Dom. No idea why the guide recommends different lengths for these two virtually identical boards but there goes. Definitely if you are getting either of those boards I don't think you'll be feeling overvolumed. Indeed, the difference between the two is only 3 litres, so not much. And since you're coming off a board with really low volume the 6'0" will probably feel super floaty by comparison. I'd simply say you are heading up to the right volume!

I'd personally suggest the 6'2" as I reckon after a long time out of the water the extra (and it's not much) foam will be of real assistance. I don't find its the surfing skills which suffer so much after time out of the water, but paddling and all round fitness. As youre surfing got back you can simply trade the 6'2" to a smaller board if you felt it hindering your performance. But the 6'0" will do you fine. There's not an enormous amount of difference between the two. Indeed there's bugger all difference between the 5'10" and the 6'0" as well (1 litre) so it's really a struck match between them but that goes both ways - there's not really going to be a significant performance advantage of a 5'10" over a 6'0".

It's a personal bug bear undervolumed boards. My personal view is people too often ride boards with insufficient foam. You see it all the time with people with no drive to their turns...often they're the ones standing in the pocket (if they haven't missed the wave or are caught behind the whitewater) wiggling. Argh, I truly hate that sort of insipid surfing, which (imho) is mainly because of riding inappropriate boards. They haven't got enough speed to drive a proper turn because their boards are too small.

true enough you see great surfers surfing smaller boards. But that's the thing...they're great surfers. Unless you're surfing every day or near enough I just don't think surfing particularly small boards is of much benefit to anyone. And if youre an excellent surfer surfing every day you aren't coming to these fora for suggestions - in Oz you're likely bouncing ideas off the local crew and/or boardriders.

Comment

Since it is all after the fact ie. you've placed the order, right? I think the 6'0 Spit will be good for you Crazylegs, I'm 90kg and in my own mind (LOL) I'm advanced and find the 34.9L is great and my 6'2 Hellfire at 33.7L doesn't feel any less floatation wise. I think Core's advice to make sure the next board (another HF vote here) is not over volumed, is worthwhile, but just bare in mind he rides lower than the volume calculator suggests. Even if you find the 6'0 Spit is a bit much further down the road it will only feel like that as the wave size increases overhead and the solution is the "next board" and the spitfire will still make an excellent small wave board from knee high to chest high. I feel I could probably go with a 5'10 Spitfire at 33.5L but 6'0/34.9L isn't a hinderance for the waves I ride it in. Anything decent and I'm riding my HF.

Comment

I think slowman captured what I was trying to say in less words, and better!

Comment

I've just noticed that the upper volume on the calculator is the optimum for hybrids, didn't realise that...mine is 38l which is more the 6'2 area. At 34.6 the 6' ain't far off and hopefully will be ok, I'm sure I will be fine. 85kg factors in my wetsuit too, plus my fitness is good swimming 2k+ at least once a week on top of other things...I reckon I will probably come back as a low/mid intermediate, and
                              I probably won't go out if it's smaller than waist height so there should be enough paddle and float for me in the 6'.

Comment

Think we can get it to a 7 page thread? Ha!

Comment

Working...
                                X