X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volume Calculator

Hey everyone, having a few probs with the volume calculator. Need to know what the definition of beginner and intermediate is so that I can be better guided on board size. I've heard Nev mention that he's intermediate and I'm pretty sure he rips. I can take off, do decent bottom and top turns, cutbacks, pump down the line. Don't do any of these really well but competent. Can't really tube ride and come out. Good paddler. Am I the top end of beginner or the bottom of intermediate or.........??? Also I'm 6'5 and 88kg and like a bit of volume in my boards. Looking at getting the El Fuego in FST.

Thanks.

I always plug myself in as intermediate. (a) that's probably what I am and (b) it allows for the bit of extra foam us older guys need.

My best bet is that at 88kg the 6'3" EF would be ideal, but if you're concerned about that length you could go 6'5".

Comment

Originally posted by tallkook View Post
      Hey everyone, having a few probs with the volume calculator. Need to know what the definition of beginner and intermediate is so that I can be better guided on board size. I've heard Nev mention that he's intermediate and I'm pretty sure he rips. I can take off, do decent bottom and top turns, cutbacks, pump down the line. Don't do any of these really well but competent. Can't really tube ride and come out. Good paddler. Am I the top end of beginner or the bottom of intermediate or.........??? Also I'm 6'5 and 88kg and like a bit of volume in my boards. Looking at getting the El Fuego in FST.

Thanks.
      Dead on on your skill level! At 88Kgs you could be looking at around 33lts volume, again that depends on personal preferences and actual phisics of the boards in question

Comment

not sure if it helps because you are so tall.....I rode a 6'1" El Fuego at 95kg with ease - I guess I'm upper intermediate.
        Good luck

Comment

Fark 33 lts sounds tiny iggy!! I was thinking maybe 10 more than that, might be my ballpark. Seems most ride Firewires as small as they can. I've gone that way with my boards before and ended up struggling, so I'm a bit hesitant to go small. Thanks all for your input, keep the suggestions coming.

Comment

I reckon that Firewire boards have at least 8-10% more float than a PU board. I have found that since riding Firewires I have transitioned fairly quickly to lower volume boards and not had any issues with paddling......btw i never touched a surfboard until i was 41 and i had a 9ft and a 9'8 long board and slowly worked my way down to fish/hybrids and now HP shortboards thanks partly to the extra float that Firewires have over PU boards of the same size. I think it is because of that extra float that guys will go short so you can bury the rail - depending on the type of surf, surfer that you are.

Don't get caught in going too small but also don't go to big......if you think in a PU board that you really need 45lts of volume you could easily get away with 38-40lts of volume, the ElFuego is a fairly flat board and has a lot of volume through it so it will paddle a lot easier than you think.

May be a ElFuego 6'1 at 35.3ltrs or ElFuego 6'3 at 39.8ltrs would be a good call........it will surf farily flat and be fast down the line.

Comment

On the new volume calculator I type in:

Int/Adv (true)
              Ave fitness (true)
              35 years (-8 years i'm 43 but seems to work.45 years comes up with 36-45 which seems just a bit to much.)
              89 KGs (true)

and it comes up with 32-39 ltrs.

My boards are:
              6'6 FF vol 32 (have)
              6'2 HF vol 33.7 (want)
              6'0 DOM vol 34.8 (have)
              5'10 PN vol 36.8 (want)
              5'6 SP vol 38.6 (have)

So this seems to work for me with my high performance boards at the lower end of the scale, my hybrids mid scale and my sweet potato high end of the scale. Even though I tweaked it a bit I still think it gives a good range between all my boards. So I think if you find a board you like whether it is high performance, hybrid or pure stoke you can use the volume range to find other boards the right size/volume for you. High performance=min. Pure stoke =Max.

Comment

Hi All, I'm not a fan of the new volume calc either but as they say its just a guide (probably a better one than most other board makers put out) & its still down to personal preferences!

The old buyers guide was a bit simpler with the three clear cut levels of performance being Beginner, Inter & Adv!

If I input Intermediate (as I would class myself) in the new one it puts me at 49-60lts which I feel is a bit high (personal Preference) so I type in Int/Adv & it throws up 41-50lts which is closer to the mark!

I ride a HF @ 39.7, a Spit @ 45lt & a SP @ 47lt (should have gone the 5'8 but was looking at the 6' originally)! So to look on the bright side all of a sudden I'm close to being an Advanced surfer (unfortunatley I think this is only in my mind & the volume calculators program)! Good for the self esteem as I Dream on !

Best bet, if you know the volume you like stick close to it!

If you don't, read the forum (ask heaps of questions) use the volume calculator (with a grain of salt) & if possible grab a demo under your arm then in the surf!

Happy calculating All!

Comment

... my Volume Calculator # puts me between 41-51. Which is making me rethink the 6'0 Potatonator i want to get – which is just under my minimum of 40.2. Now i know theses are pall park #s. But i'm a bit concerned because i don't surf frequently enough to grow into a more advanced board right now. I really just want to have fun in waist high waves.

For example, a Dominator 6'6" would be 45lts, right in the middle. I know from my other post that this would be too big for me at 155lbs.

Maybe i should be getting the 606 Add-vance as was suggested by a few of the more experienced guys and not the Dom or ProN. It's kinda like the Volume Calculator is telling me those boards aren't right for my size and skill level. They're not really made to be ridden oversized.

Does this sound right? or Coocoo?
                  Last edited by popopine; 05-29-2012, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Tallkook, I reckon you have left the beginner stages behind & can call yourself intermediate! I had a 6'5 Elf when I was 92Kgs, I'm just on 6' but not as young as I use to be so paddle a bit less energetically now a days! The 6'5" was great, got me in early, very fast & had a good level of performed built in! I also agree with Buzzy & think you are in the right ballpark looking around the 6'3" mark, I would even agree with your original thoughts of a 6'5" Elf taking into account that you like a bit of volume (as I do) & your height! I was lucky & got to demo a 6'5"Elf before I bought it, is there anyway you can grab a demo or a mates board for a paddle?

Comment

would people be way happier having an updated Buyers Guide as well with length suggestions based on ability?

Comment

I think the volume calculator works well for the people who need that information. It's more the guys in the intermediate plus range, who already know the right size boards for them, who might be riding minimal volume or a little extra volume which doesn't necessarily match up with the volume calculator.
                        That's not to say if they followed the VC recommendation that it wouldn't work for them though.

Comment

I think the volume calculator is really bad and misleading. If I enter my true details intermediate, 82kg, 50 years old, average fitness, it gives me a volume range of 43 to 53. This is ridiculously high. I am currently riding boards in range 30 to 32 and concerned that the 32 has a bit too much float.

I think the worst thing about the calculator is the age component, it has a huge effect on the calculation. Why should age effect your optimal volume? Calculation already has fitness and ability components so age is irrelevant. In general I think paddle ability is overrated when deciding on a board. If you are an intermediate short board surfer then you can paddle and the difference between paddling a slightly less or more volume board is minimal. What is most important is how the board performs on the wave. So maybe wave type is a more relevant input to calculation.

Comment

I think it's just a Rough guide really, if I put in I'm intermediate/advanced I get 26-32L which is perfect but if I put in intermediate I go up 32-39L which is way to much foam for me.

Also with boards if there HP I tend to go lower in volume and with grovel boards higher, also the shorter the board I tend to go a bit higher in volume.

All that said boards are strange things, volume is only one factor for instance my 5,10 hellfire is over 29L my 6,3 flexfire is over 28L but I find my flex fire much easier to paddle, despite the extra rocker, but I guess it's the extra length that helps.

Also I think there is two volume aspects one volume is perfect for paddling at the high end and one volume perfect for actual surfing much lower, the trick is to find the balance between the two,that really sucks cause I love low volume boards fr surfing but I'm not a strong paddler so I need extra volume for paddling.

But It possibly all means nothing until you see and pick up the board and put it under your arm thats when you really know if your in the right volume range.
                            Last edited by indodreaming; 08-17-2012, 07:53 PM.

Comment

I tended to prefer the old simple table and agree the calculator tends to spit out "too high" volumes as age increases, but what's good for me isn't good for everyone. In any event the descriptors are subjective and it's a really hard thing to develop. Hats off for trying.

Comment

Working...
                              X