Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can i use a big Dom for a summer funboard?

Hi, this is my first post.

I've been reading a lot on this forum and there's a lot of great info. I'm looking to pick up a FW but wanted to get some advice.

Background: I'm an avid snowboarder (40 days a year) who likes to surf for fun. i only get out about 10 times a summer, in new jersey small surf. My style is go vertical, bottom turn and just ride down the line. I'm happy with this and i'm not looking to rip. PS: I always stay out of way of the experts and respect the lineup.

Currently I have a 7'6 Yanci Spencer fat guy fish that feels clunky. A 6'6" walden CD mini longboard that's ok. And my favorite, a 6'8" Channel Island Flyer that i ride like a progressive fun board. It's good but epoxy stiff, you need a kidney belt when the chop comes;)

I'm 5'7" and weigh 155.

I want a FW to have fun in the small mushy stuff though i don't do so well on fun shapes - They're too wide up front. Could i get away with a large Dominator or Spitfire? Like a 6'6"?

Thanks for your time. popo
    Last edited by popopine; 05-19-2012, 07:14 PM.

Iggy should be able to chime in here.... IGGY???
    I would say 6-0 or 6-2 Spit, DOM or Potatonator you may want to go shorter but thats up to you and your arms conditioning for paddling in to the wave.
    A 6-6 would be a struggle for you to duckdive at 155 pounds. too much volume
    Last edited by Fritzkat; 05-19-2012, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Potatonator? Hmm, i just checked it out. Wow, could be just right for what i need.

Yeah, I hear you about duck diving. As it is, with the boards i have, i "turn the turtle" usually anyway cause they're big. Other than the paddle out, do you see any other disadvantage to running these boards bigger than they're supposed to be?

Thanks!

Comment

Sorry for the delay guys!!! work has been crazy busy lately!!
        For your weight I believe is gonna be way too much board.
        If you are to stick with the Dominator I would go 6'2", max 6'4"for what you want,and even at 6'2" will be quite some volume for your weight. More than that would feel too sluggish and buoyant
        First thing that could have come to my mind would have been the Addvance, specially considering the fact that you go out only 10 times per summer... but you mentioned already that you rather have a board with less nose area.
        Potatonator is another great option as Fritz mentioned

Comment

A bigger Dom would be a great board as a fun board in an oversize, but the extra volume would be a killer. The Addvance is really the go to board @6'6".

Comment

Really a correctly sized Dom is a good summer small wave board. You don't really need to oversize it. Maybe go up 2" from your recommended size for ease of use.

Comment

Good stuff. I agree with the sentiments here so far. Go 602 max because after that point, you are going to really just begin to limit the performance of the board.

Look for there to be plenty of volume in the 602 to catch waves and still surf well.

Cheers and hope this helps!!

Comment

Ah, thank you so much. I see where you'all going. For my weight, the volume and size of a 6'6" dom would start to nagate it's performance and all that makes it special.

Right now I have a board that's shaped a bit like the Addvance so that leaves one question:

Dominator 6'2 or Potatonator 6'0? Does one have more rocker than the other?

Thanks again, popo
                Last edited by popopine; 05-21-2012, 07:22 PM.

Comment

Potatonator flatter rocker than the dominator

Comment

Iggy you're making it really tough! I like rocker and I was about to pull the trigger on a 6'0" Potatonator!
                    Now i'm back to the Dominator 6'2.

A little more rocker on the DOm will help keep my nose from digging in on the steeps, but that potatonator might be better for the overall crumble stuff.

Which do you all think?

Comment

Surf on the Atlantic side can get some punch to it, especially in hurricane season. Personally, I'd go with a Dom since it is so versatile. Perhaps the P'Nator will grovel a bit better, but the Dom will cover a wider range of waves - at least that is what I suspect. I am 30-40lbs heavier than you, (about the same size as Fritzcat) and when I hoisted a 6'6" Dom it felt a bit like an aircraft carrier to me. Tons of foam hidden away in those things. I'd look to a either a 5'10" or 6'0" Dom, and certainly no bigger than a 6'2".

If you are only interested in a small wave board, then go P'Nator. When the waves are smaller, the flatter rocker helps a ton.

Comment

Originally posted by popopine View Post
                        Iggy you're making it really tough! I like rocker and I was about to pull the trigger on a 6'0" Potatonator!
                        Now i'm back to the Dominator 6'2.

A little more rocker on the DOm will help keep my nose from digging in on the steeps, but that potatonator might be better for the overall crumble stuff.

Which do you all think?
                        Popopine, the potatonator will excel on the smaller range of waves while the Dominator will cover a wider array of conditions. I will go for the Dominator
                        Remember ultimately it's up to you since you know the conditions you'll be surfing the board on,your abilities and your expectations.
                        Sorry for making life difficult ;)
                        Decisions decisions...
                        The Dominator is a board that will stay on your quiver forever

Comment

And if you end up selling it you'll regret it and wish you had it back...

Comment

Right. Makes perfect sense. But i think here's what i'm gonna do. Since this will be by far the shortest board i've ever run, in mostly sloppy summer conditions, i'm gonna get a Potatonator. Then, when i get a little better, i'll get a Dominator or Spit of same size or 2" smaller (which will feel a lot smaller than the PN).

The Potatonator will be my transition board from the bigger ones i've been riding.

Pretty soon, like everyone else here, i'll have a long tag that reads like the Firewire catalog;) ... and i'll be broke.

Fins? Rasta's?

Thanks again for helping the newbe. popo

Comment

Quads rastas without a doubt or the V2F4

Comment

Working...
                              X