X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firewire Partners with Daniel Thompson of Tomo Surfboards

Firewire is proud to announce a design partnership with Australian surfboard designer/professional free surfer Daniel Thomson; the founder of Tomo Surfboards, now residing in the US.

Daniel first started shaping boards in his teens, following in the footsteps of his father Mark Thomson, an accomplished board designer in his own right.

Not content to work on refining existing design principles, Daniel set out to reinvent the modern surfboard. Drawing on his rich knowledge of design history and utilizing his own elite surfing ability, Daniel was personally able to test his theories and build on the creations that carried the most potential.

“I first noticed Daniel’s designs at Sacred Craft and I was intrigued”, said Firewire CEO Mark Price, “after reaching out to Daniel and meeting with him, I was struck by his obvious intelligence and humility, and his absolute dedication to pushing the envelope through shape and materials – qualities that perfectly matched our own goals”.

Price continued, “And that was before I even rode one of his boards. After stepping onto one of his designs, working together was a no brainer”.

Daniel was equally enthusiastic about his future endeavors with Firewire.

“I am really excited about the opportunity to work with Firewire, who stand out in my mind as a company dedicated to evolving the sport through technological and design advancements.

Daniel continued, “I have always believed that surfboard design and technology will eventually evolve to take surfing to new places, so I have always tried to be involved in innovation in that regard. It is awesome that Firewire has seen such potential in my work and I am really looking forward to the results of this partnership.”

The first Firewire/DT models will hit retail in early 2013, and will be Firewire branded along with the DT logo clearly visible. Distribution will remain confined to Firewire’s existing, premium account base. Daniel will also continue to offer his custom designs under the Tomo label.

Hey guys, which model of tomo will be available next year? Tech? Size? I saw the pic of a firewire vanguard being waxed, make me thinking whether I should hold my order from Dan (which may take some time to materialise) for the firewire version.

any info is appreciated.

Comment

Yeah I'd be interested to hear more too! Really interested in these designs. Hoping to see some demos out there in the future.

Comment

^ +1!

Comment

Awesome news. Really interesting shaper.

Comment

Man you guys are going to freak when you get to check out these things. The proto looks mental. So light and seems so small but somehow there was 29l in there.
            Mind boggling how something that size can work, but Mark is proper amped on it. Really interesting shape, can't wait to try one!

Comment

No nose? I think they call it the Vanguard or something like that??

Comment

Here's a neat video of Stu Kennedy riding the death star, similar looking board to the FW prototype http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GPz-6Qj_vA

Comment

Curren surfing one here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5g4MaV4mnCI

Comment

Originally posted by Slowman View Post
                    Oh boy that looks sooooo much fun!!!!!.All right I want one!!!

Comment

Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
                      Man you guys are going to freak when you get to check out these things. The proto looks mental. So light and seems so small but somehow there was 29l in there.
                      Mind boggling how something that size can work, but Mark is proper amped on it. Really interesting shape, can't wait to try one!
                      I'm guessing because they generate so much speed that they can get away with less length, area and volume. They certainly look very fast in the videos. I've never seen Curren surf like that before, his surfing has become more progressive.

Comment

Anyone know how they would go in fat/flat peeling kind of waves?

Beachies where i live are rip style banks with deep channels separating banks, waves often peel perfectly but are often made up of mostly fat/flat sections, although good days get sucky double ups.

Comment

the board does really well in both. Keep in mind its a bit of an acquired feel as its a wide tail and not a lot of overall curve to the board, in either outline or rocker. The bottom contours and fin placement generate both speed and hold, but you have the flexibility to get playful on an open face, or down to business on a steep little beachy. Its also going to be rolled out as a 5-fin so i would also encourage fin experimentation. This will definitely help give the board different capabilities in different conditions....

Comment

Man, I can't wait to try one. Mark's proto looked and felt so sick.

Comment

yeah its different for sure. it will depend on your preferences and style. It has such a unique ride that the second you get on it, you can feel what the board is going to do and you have control of maneuvers that you would have a hard time controlling on conventional shapes. Insanely cool!! and insanely fast.

Comment

Working...
                              X