Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that I had the fortunate opportunity to ride Stu Kennedy's 5'2" Vanguard board down @Maroubra Beach, Sydney, Australia today.
    The surf was 2-3ft, bumpy & junky from the onshore winds.
    The board handled surprisingly well considering the not-so-favourable conditions.
    Caught about half a dozen or so waves in the session & there were a few stand out moments that have convinced me to seriously add it to my quiver.
    I want to thank @StuKennedy_surf for taking the time to discuss with me all things about the Vanguard.
    I had been thinking about the 5'4" taking into consideration my level of surfing ability but Stu suggested that since we were similar in weight & size, that I stick to the 5'2" but maybe go a little thicker than his board. I was also concerned that because I am quite heavy on my front foot that the board may not be suited to me as it is more of a back foot kind of board but I felt no hinderance once I was up & riding.
    Here are a couple of pics of me with the Vanguard.Attachment Attachment
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by megsy View Post
      Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that I had the fortunate opportunity to ride Stu Kennedy's 5'2" Vanguard board down @Maroubra Beach, Sydney, Australia today.
      The surf was 2-3ft, bumpy & junky from the onshore winds.
      The board handled surprisingly well considering the not-so-favourable conditions.
      Caught about half a dozen or so waves in the session & there were a few stand out moments that have convinced me to seriously add it to my quiver.
      I want to thank @StuKennedy_surf for taking the time to discuss with me all things about the Vanguard.
      I had been thinking about the 5'4" taking into consideration my level of surfing ability but Stu suggested that since we were similar in weight & size, that I stick to the 5'2" but maybe go a little thicker than his board. I was also concerned that because I am quite heavy on my front foot that the board may not be suited to me as it is more of a back foot kind of board but I felt no hinderance once I was up & riding.
      Here are a couple of pics of me with the Vanguard.Attachment Attachment
      Sounds good Megsy, Can't wait to hear more.
      What other demo boards did they have down there? and did you ride any of them as well?
      Attached Files

Comment

Hey Goanna, I noticed that they had the SP, MB, PN & VG. I only rode the VG as that's the only board I was interested in trying.

Comment

You think I should go 504 then megsy? What are your dims again? How is the volume of that 502 compared to your usual boards?
          Cheers!

Comment

How did the 5'2 paddle at 22.9 liters when your 84 kg
            Cheers

Comment

My only question is...why the steamer Megsy...why? It was like Mentawais in the water yesterday..well over 20 degrees C....you must have been cooking in that suit?? lol.

Comment

Ha ha, I met Megsy today, though very briefly, he and Goanna were both in steamers! Though a lot were due to the lower air temperature but the water is still beautiful.

Megsy, I'm also interested in how you found the low volume, though it sounds like it wasn't a problem. I was going to wait around for when you and Goanna got out to bombard you with questions, but you guys were obviously enjoying the mechanical perfection too much!

Comment

Originally posted by Slowman View Post
                  Ha ha, I met Megsy today, though very briefly, he and Goanna were both in steamers! Though a lot were due to the lower air temperature but the water is still beautiful.

Megsy, I'm also interested in how you found the low volume, though it sounds like it wasn't a problem. I was going to wait around for when you and Goanna got out to bombard you with questions, but you guys were obviously enjoying the mechanical perfection too much!
                  Mechanical Perfection...at Maroubra ??surely you must jest ?? I just looked at the cam and I call that 1-2 foot crap...maybe I am picky though lol.

Comment

Hey Wandi, Goanna is 84kg, I'm 70kg.
                    I had to paddle a little harder than normal but this is a performance board, so it makes sense that it's thinner, more narrow & lighter than my other firewire boards.
                    Originally posted by Wandi View Post
                    How did the 5'2 paddle at 22.9 liters when your 84 kg
                    Cheers

Comment

Hey prjwebb, my 508 hellfire has the least amount of volume at 27.2ltr in my quiver. With the 502 Vanguard tipping in at 22.9ltr there's quite a bit of difference.To be honest, I think I'd still like to demo a 504 Vanguard at 25.9ltr just to make a comparison with the 502.
                      Originally posted by prjwebb View Post
                      You think I should go 504 then megsy? What are your dims again? How is the volume of that 502 compared to your usual boards?
                      Cheers!

Comment

FW - Fan, I was wearing a short arm 2mm steamer as the southerly wind was blowing & just making things a little cooler above the water, but you're absolutely right, the water temp was still balmy.
                        Originally posted by FW - Fan View Post
                        My only question is...why the steamer Megsy...why? It was like Mentawais in the water yesterday..well over 20 degrees C....you must have been cooking in that suit?? lol.

Comment

Hey slowman, yeah you got out too quickly, it would've been good to have a bit of a chat. Goanna, says you're down there quite a bit so I'm sure we'll bump into each other at some other time.
                          Look, 502 was harder to paddle than my other boards but in saying that, it's a high performance board so you'd have to expect that wouldn't you. The conditions weren't ideal & I probably would've used my 502 SP out there instead but I'd like to see how it feels in more favourable conditions. I think the paddling of the board would be the same but the performance of the board when up & riding would be better. As Stu Kennedy suggested, maybe go a bit thicker in the 502 to address the paddling issue?
                          Originally posted by Slowman View Post

Comment

FW - Fan, slowman was not referring to Maroubra yesterday, he was referring to a beach break we were surfing down the south coast. I'm absolutely sure that Maroubra was as you say "1-2 foot crap" yesterday hahaha.
                            Originally posted by FW - Fan View Post
                            Mechanical Perfection...at Maroubra ??surely you must jest ?? I just looked at the cam and I call that 1-2 foot crap...maybe I am picky though lol.

Comment

Fan, yes I was jesting about the mechanical perfection bit, it was solid 4-5' but a bit messy, but still worth a surf. Cleaned up nicely today!

Megsy, I'd been out for nearly a couple of hours already by the time you and Goanna came out so I'd had my fill, I hung around chatting but ultimately home duties and a flatpack were awaiting my attention. I'm going to find out soon enough, Raz tells me it won't be long, unless you go custom or direct to Tomo I didn't think there was an option to get one made thicker - still if anyone's on the money it would have to be Stu, just a question of how.

Comment

What other models will be available?

Comment

Working...
                                X