X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey folks,
    with the Tomo board its REALLY important to continue playing the volume game. Please please please take other reviews with a grain of salt because they are customs. This means much different length to volume ratios.

It is imperative to continue getting the right volume for you. End of story. progression in shape DOES NOT mean that you all of the sudden should ride 10% less volume. While the Vanguard does do things other shortboards might not, its important to not get carried away. You can play around and maybe go with one that is at the lower end of you volume range, but if your volume lands you on the 506 DON'T get a 502 based on some of these other reviews...

Cheers!

Comment

As always, many thanks Chris.

Comment

Hey Christos!!!!! are there any of those puppies hitting the East Coast USA anytime soon???. What would you suggest me and what would you say are the ideal waves for this board?

Comment

check your email. i just sent you one.

Comment

Done!!! thanks!!!. You got mine?

Comment

So is it available on the West coast then?

Comment

It sounds like 1st to 2nd quarter 2013 from the email I had today. Might be a little sooner in the US.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                  Hey folks,
                  with the Tomo board its REALLY important to continue playing the volume game. Please please please take other reviews with a grain of salt because they are customs. This means much different length to volume ratios.

It is imperative to continue getting the right volume for you. End of story. progression in shape DOES NOT mean that you all of the sudden should ride 10% less volume. While the Vanguard does do things other shortboards might not, its important to not get carried away. You can play around and maybe go with one that is at the lower end of you volume range, but if your volume lands you on the 506 DON'T get a 502 based on some of these other reviews...

Cheers!
                  Chris, thanks. The more I've read the more I was leaning toward a more "adequate volume". I wondered at first, probably because of the illusion due to less length, if there was less volume, but your post along with other reviews out there is reinforcing the need for adequate volume still.

Any ideas when available in Australia?
                  Last edited by Slowman; 10-31-2012, 04:06 PM.

Comment

I have been demoing a few differant board brands that give volume as to...... i guess test the volume theory and "it works" i look at volume first then assess if the surface area or what i assume is the surface area of the board is adequate if it doesn't match I look at another model or size up the volume. The only board's to date that i found this with was the Potatonator and SP I sized up above my volume range(from calculator and how other boards preform) but still found the boards preform extremly well(SP is my all time favourite board) as i am getting the adequate surface area or i guess rail line or board in the water. I realise everyone has a differant take on it but I belive look at your middle volume range and work from there and don't over think it and go with your gut and reviews on this forum. So boys with this new toy(in FW) give us a run down on your weight ability wave type etc etc and how does the board preform. I remeber the review Nev gave a while back on the Dominator/EL Fugo and it helped big time.

Comment

Surface area alone I think isn't all that helpful. The surface area figure we are given is total surface area for the board, the planing or contact surface area at any given time changes because of variables like rocker, weight shifts, wave shape and so on. Bottom contour also has an effect too. Too complex for me, the shaper will have a good idea on average (or for a range of typical conditions) what the contact surface area will be because he optimised all those variables so that it could be achieved for a range of intended conditions. So to some extent you have to have some faith in what the designer/shaper has to say about the board unless you can demo one.

Comment

Volume to me is just as much about paddling as it is performance, if it was just about performance I'd go slightly less volume than I do but as I'm not a grom anymore I have to take a compromise and also think about how the board will paddle.

Strangely enough going of the correct volume alone on most FW boards including the vanguard sees the thickness at 2 3/8 which is a good thing, because that's the only measurement I try to keep consistent if I can.

Not that I'm going to be able to get one of these for a long time, but it's nice to dream.

Comment

Were on the east coast of the US can I order a tomo? live in Florida down south in Deerfield?

Comment

Hey black,

You can actually do it at any shop. Just make sure they follow up with us. We are taking prebooks from dealer now so get your order placed and you'll have one of the first ones.

Cheers.

Comment

Hey Chris,

What are your thoughts on sizing one of these for yourself?

We share dims and ride the same boards, so looking for some kind of benchmark.

Cheers

Comment

Chris is saying 506. I like the 504 dims but the thickness would need to be 2.38" so will probably go 506 too. That said I might hold out for a demo...

Comment

Working...
                                X