X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Slowman View Post
    Stuart says up to 6', small to medium. I look at the board as something that will force me to surf differently and make me try different things. The idea will be to then see if I can take what I learn on it back to my "normal" boards.
    I reckon you are spot on there Slowman...the challenge will be though..if you do learn some new tricks on the Tomo will you want to go back to your old boards???

Comment

http://vimeo.com/55254761

Comment

Sick vid, hey chris, what size do you recommend? I ride a 6.2 sub scorcher and a 5.8 Spud. Think either 5.10 or 6.0? I am 88kg, 6 foot tall and rate myself as intermediate.

Comment

Originally posted by FW - Fan View Post
          I reckon you are spot on there Slowman...the challenge will be though..if you do learn some new tricks on the Tomo will you want to go back to your old boards???
          FWFan, that's an interesting question. I guess it will come down to whether my old boards are better suited to particular types of waves than the Tomo. I have found that I have managed to take things that I've picked up on new boards back to older boards so hopefully it works out to some extent, especially if they are the right boards for a given situation.

Comment

hey Freaked out,
            So long as the 602 Sub scorcher doesn't feel like the ABSOLUTE bottom of your volume range, i would go with the 510. Its an easy board to paddle and it planes better than you think.

I am a little between sizes myself but opted for the 506 over the 508. Most of my hybrids are in the 29-30L and the 506 Vanguard is just a little below that, but I have no problem using it.

I would say the only two ways i would suggest you go with the 600 is if you are buying it for primarily small waves OR you spend a lot of time in a super thick suit where you might max it out a little bit.

Cheers

Comment

Thanks Chris, depends what you mean by bottom of my range, in what way. The 35 litres is probally near bottom from a paddle speed perspective, I am 42 and spent 20 years flogging my spine windsurfing so the flexibility is not what it used to be. Once up and going I am fine on the 6'2" sub, its a standing up thing that I am a bit slow, once up going the board feels quick. Also smaller waves hear tend to be a bit gutless here so thats when I pull out the 5'8" spud (which I intend to keep or upgrade to a baked eventually). So it depends on how well the vangard's paddle I guess that will probally sway my decision. What so you think, still 510? Does the vangard go ok on fat waves also? Are they quick?
              Last edited by Freaked_Out; 12-26-2012, 04:01 AM.

Comment

I'm going to demo a 510 tomorrow!! I usually surf a 510 potatonator so volume is about 1 litre less!! Will post results..

Comment

that be sweet cheers

Comment

By the time I picked it up today swell was pretty wind blown!! I put my quads out of my potatonator in it, it didn't like it... I have set it up as a thruster will try again in the morning!! I can't seem to upload photos from my phone?? I reckon it looks cool but the misses hates it!!

Comment

Hey Freaked,
                      they are fast and the profile of the board allows there to be width under both feet and in the nose which means you can really milk it for added speed in slower sections. I think if you want the board to be your next small wave machine, go with slightly more volume. this will definitely ensure that it makes paddling a breeze, is easier to get up on, and works in a wide range of conditions.

Cheers

Comment

Hi, new to the forum and after some advice.
                        Been surfing a Tomo 5'8 19 1/2 2 3/8 MPH copy which is way too big for me, but surfs great, which i usually use as a step up. My go to board is a 5'5 19 1/14 2/1/8 DD . I'm really up for getting a Vanguard but not sure what size to go for, either 5'2 or 5'4. I'm 5'4 145pounds and usually where 4/3 wetsuit. Good fitness and inter/advanced standard. ideal volume 23-26.

any advice would be great, cheers.

Comment

I feel in your situation, so long as you are stoked to put some effrot into your surfing, you should go with the 502. that volume is closer to the low end, but the board paddles well and planes great. That would be the direction I went. If you are intermediate/advanced, you will be able to grovel it easily as well!!

Comment

Cheers Chris,
                            Definately going with you on this one, the Vanguard doesn't seem like a board you over size and i've got a ozzy wrong 504 for when it's super grovel time! in the process of ordering a 502 but won't get my hands on it till March/April.

cheers.

Comment

I didn't like the board, felt weird and didn't like to turn...maybe I was too big for the 5-10!!

Comment

Hey Big Leigh, how did you find paddling it and getting on the wave, relative to your potatonator?

Comment

Working...
                                X