X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How should you size the tomo board

How do you size the tomo board. Should you use the same volume guidelines as the rest of the boards or do you go smaller?

The blurb claims the boards can go shorter and narrower because the rails are more parallel there is more speed and lift...from that I am deducing you can go with less volume than usual but by how much is the question. The 5'8" is at the bottom of my recommended range of volumes but perhaps I should be going down to the 5'6"?

Comment

Hey slowman intersting point. That means that this board absolutely requires good conditions?

Comment

Iggy from the videos I've seen it doesn't and still rips anyway.

Comment

Mark was on a 5'4. I think you can drop volume. Guys on ther surfermag forum seem to ride them SMALL and can't say enough about them.

Comment

Hey Tre, Are you heading down south with practically everyone else this weekend?

Comment

Question is.... When are these bad boys available in Aust... Do I order now????

Comment

Yeah they are taking preorders now. In the states at least.

Comment

Hey guys. I have some info from Tomo regarding sizing for Next Gen designs which includes the Vanguard. I hope this helps.

Next Gen Models: Order the Next Gen at Chin height (approx 8” shorter than standing height) 1 inch” narrower than what you generally feel is your minimum shortboard width. Same thickness as be what you would consider ideal for you weight, ability and general wave conditions.

(** Next Gen Sizing is considered for surfers of average ability or fitness and higher.
                  Although this sizing seems very small for general paddling and riding, please be assured that due to the unique distribution of volume, the Next Gen boards will float/paddle at least as well as a standard shortboard in flat water situations & catch waves better than boards 12” longer. Performance is guaranteed to be mind blowing**)

Comment

Hmmm going by that info that woud see me on the 5,0 which is over an inch and a half narrower than my hp short board(flex fire) and 3/8 thinner and about 8 liters less volume.

Comment

Originally posted by John808 View Post
                      Hey guys. I have some info from Tomo regarding sizing for Next Gen designs which includes the Vanguard. I hope this helps.

Next Gen Models: Order the Next Gen at Chin height (approx 8” shorter than standing height) 1 inch” narrower than what you generally feel is your minimum shortboard width. Same thickness as be what you would consider ideal for you weight, ability and general wave conditions.

(** Next Gen Sizing is considered for surfers of average ability or fitness and higher.
                      Although this sizing seems very small for general paddling and riding, please be assured that due to the unique distribution of volume, the Next Gen boards will float/paddle at least as well as a standard shortboard in flat water situations & catch waves better than boards 12” longer. Performance is guaranteed to be mind blowing**)
                      See that's roughly what I had in mind but the Firewire sizing seems a bit off in that respect. The thickness seems low, I'd have thought + 1/8" on each unless the idea is to have these ridden a little longer and wider to ease the transition from standard boards?

Comment

Man, I just saw a few Tomos at the Wetsand store in Ventura.

What a crazy looking board, tiny and light as hell.

Such a departure from the norm, warrants a test drive when FW has the versions out.

One will def find its way into my quiver.

Comment

Well that sounds intersting!!! 8" shorter than your normal shortboard..., we are stepping into potato turf!!!

Comment

That's 8" shorter than standing height...still think 5'6" is as short as I'll go even though by that measure I'm looking at 5'4" but the width and thickness seem a bit too ambitious to me. Whoever gets one of these first at your local beach is going to attract a lot of attention...kind of makes me think I'd like to ride it a few times away from everyone until I can surf it. From what Stu Kennedy said there were some adjustments to make to technique.

Comment

Yea turning up with a potato was bad enough

Comment

Working...
                              X