Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
How does the V4 compare to performance hybrids and high performance surf boards? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does the V4 compare to performance hybrids and high performance surf boards?

How does the V4 compare to performance hybrids and high performance surf boards?

Can it drive hard and handle tight turns at speed in bigger surf?

Does it have a tighter tail than the vanguard and surf more like a short board than the vanguard? From what I read the vanguard is better for down the line speed and not turning?

The Vanguard turns insane. It just needs to be sized right. I've surfed the Taj model and I don't really feel like the way you can turn the Vanguard is restricted in any way from how the Taj performs. I haven't ridden the V4 yet, but from what I understand it has all the performance of the Vanguard but with a little more control in bigger surf and a slightly more familiar feel compared with a traditional shortboard.

Comment

• chubbs
      chubbs commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Phil, would you ride the vanguard with the same volume as other boards?

Calling Slowman......

Comment

I ride the vanguard with a little less volume. I think length is important. Tomo sizes customs around chin height.

Comment

Originally posted by Goanna View Post
        Calling Slowman......
        Don't even think hybrid where the V4 and VG are concerned. The V4 is a rocket, like the VG but handles a steep take off much better and yes they can handle tight turns at speed in bigger surf. The V4 also has the advantage of being a very good board for barrels too. Someone else here mentioned that they'd had more barrels on their V4 than they'd had before, they really do make it easy to get in there and back out again. The V4 is more for sucky barreling surf and the VG for more sloping sort of waves, it certainly has a lower range than the V4. V4 probably needs chest high plus to really come alive.

Comment

THE VANGUARD TURNS.... it performs as well as or out performs ANY comp style shortboard... period... as phil said... because of its design, you ride it slightly under your normal volume (assuming your on the right volume to start with).. in larger surf you can sort of call the v4 a step up from the vg.... although i ride the vg up to the point i need a proper mini gun... if its clean, the vg will shred anything...

Comment

oh, slowman must of been typing while i was too... ditto what he said... :)

Comment

Working...
            X