I am having a re-think about the way that I surf (and consequently my quiver) and was hoping that some of the experienced guys who post on the forum might be able to help me out.
It might be something to do with turning 30 in the spring and spending more and more time in the office and less in the water but I feel like I have plateaued and am desperate to inject new life into my surfing.
Iím 6ft 2 - 75 Kg and mainly surf UK beach breaks (range from mushy to hollow) waist high to head and a half and occasionally travel to surf (France, Portugal, Maldives) up to DOH.
I currently love riding a Dom 510, a Stealth 62 (a little over volume in the tail for me so I find it better in head high rather than head and Ĺ but it is so fast!) occasionally hopping on my 64 alt when it gets big (DOH). I can paddle well and have never struggled getting waves. I also never get in if itís under waist to shoulder so I have no desire for a true groveler like the SP, BP or potatonator.
However, other than on the Alt in bigger surf, I'm getting lazy and becoming rather too cruisy for my liking. My staple moves have become cutbacks, floaters and carves which are getting further and further from the pocket.
I am looking to force myself to surf more vertically and get into more critical places on the wave. However, I am not planning to go back to a HPSB.
I am thinking of either:
- selling all of my boards and buying a 510 spitfire and a 61 CC
- or selling the stealth and getting a 60 Sub scorcher to go with my 510 Dom and 64 Alt
My questions are:
1. Will I regret selling the Dom?
2. If I donít sell the Dom will I still end up surfing it in head high waves and stop myself from surfing as well as I could do on the spit?
3. Will the Spit and CC give me a good enough range from chest to DOH?
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!