Chuy here, I’m starting a series of interviews called "Stock Soldiers."
A fast growing group of pro surfers/soldiers have been ripping on our boards and state that our stock boards are working better than the custom PU surfboards that they have been riding.
These interviews will give you an insight on how fast our brand has connected with great surfers from all over the world.
Enjoy and thanks for the support.
Chuy Reyna - Marketing / Sales - Firewire Surfboards
- Please tell me your Name, Age, hometown and Occupation:
- Deon Lategan, 35, jeffreys bay, land surveyor
- How did you discover Firewire?
- saw the article in surfing – re :shaper of the year, bert burger and became very interested. with taj on them, it also gave them full street cred. then when cheron brought them in i had to try em out
- What is your take on Firewire Tech/boards?
- at the mo – 6'2" flexfire rounded pin direct drive
- Can you share a story where you were blown away by your board, like a maneuver, a contest result etc.
- my go to board was the 6'2" swallow tail alternator (i'm a fairly staunch bugger) - surfed it in the xcel supertubes showdown and pulled of the best move, which won me a new firewire. i took the 6'2" rounded pin flexfire direct drive as prize and am now blown away by this board. i can push it really hard in good waves and it responds well.
- I’m trying to get people to understand that boards made out of foam can and will break under the right impact; do you have any broken board stories?
- my first 6'2" alternator kinda blew up in the transkei, just became swollen mess for no reason – but you guys replaced it. the replacement i have had for 2 years now and is in mint condition – this board seems immune to minor dings and pressures. my 6'2" quadraflex got a minor crease when i went over the falls and landed on it (breaking my rib). this was fixed, but at a later stage this board broke clean in half. no replacement this time – driver error
- Are you paid by Firewire surfboards?
- hahaha – no, i pay them – but i get a reasonable price and they did give me t-shirt the other day ;)