Chuy here, I’m starting a series of interviews called "Stock Soldiers."
A fast growing group of pro surfers/soldiers have been ripping on our boards and state that our stock boards are working better than the custom PU surfboards that they have been riding.
These interviews will give you an insight on how fast our brand has connected with great surfers from all over the world.
Enjoy and thanks for the support.
Chuy Reyna - Marketing / Sales - Firewire Surfboards
- Please tell me your Name, Age, hometown and Occupation:
- My name is Ryan Payne, 26, born in Durban, but now reside in Jeffrey's Bay, South Africa. My official title is Team and Events Manager for Billabong South Africa.
- How did you discover Firewire?
- Teeb's joining the team was when I first took notice of the Fire Wire Broards.
- What is your take on Firewire Tech/boards?
- Durability, all boards break, but the Fire Wires have the strength to last longer whilst not compromising their performance
- Can you share a story where you were blown away by your board, like a maneuver, a contest result etc.
- I rode my 6'2" Taj for almost 8 months of 2009, everything from 8ft Supers to 3ft beach breaks to heavy wildside ledges. If I was riding anything else, my board allowance would be shot into negatives… It sill amazes me how it's in one piece…
- I’m trying to get people to understand that boards made out of foam can and will break under the right impact; do you have any broken board stories?
- Wow, yeah, I've had a polyurethane board buckle under my stomach whilst paddling into a wave in Scottburgh. The wave at Scottburgh has a rock outcrop where the wave before yours normally rebounds off and gets in the way of your take off; the tension of the rebounding energy (wave is to small to be a swell) shattered my board. I’ve since taken a Fire Wire out and no problems like that since… On the Fire Wire front, no, I haven't snapped one yet, but I have witnessed one or two break, as you said, any size wave can break any board, the right angle and bang, its history. I saw one break in a two foot beachie, how do you say, wrong time, right place?
- Are you paid by Firewire surfboards?
- Nope, why do you want to? :) Could always do with an extra buck!